Red light cameras and Speed cameras

There was a woman in the news who lived near the exit of a one way street. So every day she rode down it 15 feet to her home. The police put up a camera without her knowing and she ended up getting over 30+ tickets.

She was a tad upset.

I would think that if you get a pic of doing a U turn, that it isnt really a fixed camera but a cop that is snapping shots. Same with the one way road.

No, no. In order to do the U-turn, you have to go past the thick white line at which point the camera snaps a picture. It’s an easy shot because the car is moving slow as I get ready to turn around the divider. It’s because of that divider that I have to head south when I actually need to go north. Now I have to wait for the green, turn left, turn around a little ways down the road, come back, turn right and head north. :s Vandalism comes to mind…

I got a ticket for doing 63 in a 50 zone… the kicker, its on a 5 lane wide section going onto the number 3 highway… theres also no 50 signs nearby that section only a 50 sign way before when it was a 3 lane.
Im really careful with cameras but this one is just insane, come on a 5 lane wide road leading onto a 100+ speed limit highway, thats just a piss take.

I got a ticket and a cool photo in the mail for doing 71 in a 50 zone last November. It was on one of those elevated freeway looking type roads, two lanes each way, but they are separated in the middle with concrete barriers and fencing so pretty hard to go onto the other side, and there are also two motorcycle lanes going each way as well. White platers are allowed to ride on it. It must have been a “mobile camera”. It was about 7:30 on a Sunday morning. I have ridden on the road many a time, sometimes going a wee bit more than 71kph, like the first time I road out to the LongTan track and I had trouble keeping up with another NSR racing dude showing me the way… But no tickets… The fine was NT$1600 I think.

I got a ticket mailed to me for making an “illegal” right turn in Kaohsiung. Out of all the crazy driving I see, day in and day out, I can’t even make a simple and safe right turn at a dead intersection late at night.

Anyone know of a place where I can buy a film of plastic to put over the license plate, so that the flash on the camera would reflect off of the plate and blind the camera. That specialized film works even during the day…or so I’m told.

Not sure if anyone saw this: L.A.'s red-light camera fines are ‘voluntary’. Too bad we can’t fight 'em here. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0727-red-light-cameras-20110727,0,496609.story?page=1

Couple of questions for those who have had speeding tickets…

1. How long does it usually take between being caught and actually receiving the ticket?

2. What is the leeway with regards to going over?

ie with regards to the leeway, where I am from in one city you get +/- 5kph, so everyone drives at +5kph. In a different city you get +/-10kph, so everyone drives at +10mph

There are a few sections around where I live where everyone goes 70 because its a section with nothing on the road, no shops or houses, there is no 70 sign and I am quite uncomfortable doing 50 when literally everyone is doing 70.

The ticket usually comes within a week, and I’m told the buffer is +10kph.

There was a woman in the news who lived near the exit of a one way street. So every day she rode down it 15 feet to her home. The police put up a camera without her knowing and she ended up getting over 30+ tickets.

She was a tad upset.[/quote]

I wonder if the police did it for a laugh, or if someone had it in for her? But seriously, that is one of the behaviours here that pisses me off the most, you can be walking along the only footpath (aka side of road) and then bam some scooter comes flying the wrong way down the road almost taking you out because they are trying to avoid the oncoming traffic.

Those scooter-riders may in fact not be doing anything wrong.
Where I live, the one-way rule applies to cars only.
Signs (in Chinese) at the intersections clearly state that “motorcyles are excepted” from the prohibition from entering one-way streets from the “wrong” end.
Banning scooters from riding against the traffic would basically be unenforceable.

So, watch out as you walk.
Oh, and always remember to fold in your right mirror when you park on the left side of a one-way street.

Thanks for the pointer, I can’t read all the signs yet, however I am fairly sure there are no signs on this street permitting this behaviour…

As for the idea of not creating laws that are unenforcable, if Taiwan really worked like that, there would not be many laws (:

Im bringing an old thread I wrote years ago back to life hopefully.

Tonight I was just flashed by a camera on a main street. I know where the camera is and was not going over by any excessive amount but it still went off.

There were 3 scooters in the shot so I wonder if they just send the fine to everyone and hope everyone pays? :laughing:

Is there any dispute process if they try to claim it was me and there were other people in the pic?

Thanks

If there are any other vehicles in a shot, then you can contest it. They shouldn’t even be sending you a ticket.
I contested one like this once and the woman who I dealt with said words to the above effect.

[quote=“Super Hans”]If there are any other vehicles in a shot, then you can contest it. They shouldn’t even be sending you a ticket.
I contested one like this once and the woman who I dealt with said words to the above effect.[/quote]

Thans Hans

The guy in front of me took off like a shot and passed the camera very quickly and nothing happened. I came up behind him with 2 other scooters in the shot and it went off. There was a car stopped waiting for someone right in front of the camera as well.

I turned around and watched how it operated immediately thereafter. It seems that if a whole pack of vehicles blows by it really fast it does nothing. But when me and 2 others went by, it decided to go off.

I will be paranoid about my speed now :smiley:

In answer to my last question, no ticket ever came. I assume it was the guy behind me that set off the camera in any case.

Tonight I crossed the stop line at a red light and got flashed again, but I did not go through and both pictures would show that I was stopped.

Has anyone got a ticket for simply crossing the stop bar?
In Canada, they throw those pictures out, but I’m not sure about Taiwan.

[quote=“llary”]Parts of the no. 1 freeway have been changed from a 100km/h limit to 110km/h. Does that mean that previously it was dangerous to go over 100km/h but now it’s safe, even though nothing else has changed?
[/quote]

No, it only means legislators realized a 110 kph limit is ok, based on new evidence, examples or on a review of old data.

Only idiots never change their opinion.

As for respecting rules, I agree that some speed limits feel wrong, but it is not our place to decide to change them. It is of course our freedom to choose to break a rule, with all the consequences it might bring.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

[quote=“Novaspes”][quote=“llary”]Parts of the no. 1 freeway have been changed from a 100km/h limit to 110km/h. Does that mean that previously it was dangerous to go over 100km/h but now it’s safe, even though nothing else has changed?
[/quote]

No, it only means legislators realized a 110 kph limit is ok, based on new evidence, examples or on a review of old data.

Only idiots never change their opinion.

As for respecting rules, I agree that some speed limits feel wrong, but it is not our place to decide to change them. It is of course our freedom to choose to break a rule, with all the consequences it might bring.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

I don’t think llary checks into this site anymore but my 2 cents is that we have no ability to change the speed limit in the first place. Short of complaining to the government about the low limit, it is their decision to set the limit.
In Canada, my form of protest is applying for a court date. This costs money and if enough people did it, would cost more money than it would bring in revenues, thus forcing the government to change the unnecessarily low limits. But in Taiwan I dont believe there is this option.

Radar detectors and GPS with camera locations allow us the freedom to break a rule without the consequences however :slight_smile:
And getting caught in Taiwan is mostly just people not being observant. For example down south here, people make a right hand turn without stopping to look first, usually running right into the waiting police. If they had stopped and looked first and noticed the police, they would not have made the turn.

Any chance there is an Android app for that?

I just got nailed for speeding on my scooter by a photo radar camera last week. I was going north on Hsin Shen South road between Roosevelt and HePing. Just a heads up. I was going 68 in a 50 zone. NT 1600 fine.