Red light runners and pedestrian traffic

And mounted on my bike, I could run all red-lights in the City. :smiley:

because there isn’t an enforced fine if they break it. same for the illegal housing extension’s. it is apparently illegal?? but every building is covered in ugly corrugated iron like something out of an african slum. you got to communicate with these people the only way that they know how. MONEY. why do people obey the subway laws and why do they wear helmets on scooters? fines! they wouldn’t be following otherwise. go to a more countryside place where the helmet law is more lenient and you will see people driving around without helmets on.

As in Sanxia, enough people without helmets, especially tough youngsters

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

I used to try to point out to helmet less or poorly fastened helmeted riders the folly of their ways, but its far more productive to just let them weed themselves out naturally. Less stressful too.

because there isn’t an enforced fine if they break it. same for the illegal housing extension’s. it is apparently illegal?? but every building is covered in ugly corrugated iron like something out of an african slum. you got to communicate with these people the only way that they know how. MONEY. why do people obey the subway laws and why do they wear helmets on scooters? fines! they wouldn’t be following otherwise. go to a more countryside place where the helmet law is more lenient and you will see people driving around without helmets on.[/quote]

Still can’t figure out why no parking tickets in Taiwan. Why tow away cars when it’s risky to the car, distressing to the owner, time-wasting, space-wasting, gas-wasting …

A cop could write 50 parking tickets in the time it takes to supervise a tow.

in some parts of taipei i have seen cops on scooters giving more parking tickets. i once saw a construction sight with no parking signs full of scooters parked there. i saw cops giving tickets and taking pictures of the scooters. next week no scooters were parked there.

moving violations would be much harder to enforce due to the high traffic volume. i don’t think a cop is going to chase down a red light runner . too much trouble.

They should know better than to park in a construction site. Even if there’s a no parking sign, you always have the occasional jerk that parks there, partially or totally into the entrance of the site. Best solution in those cases, according to my personal experience in the construction sector:

One of the bulldozers (any heavy machinery will do) just pushes the offending car/bike into the street. Police will come swiftly to remove the vehicle. On another occasion, I witnessed a huge truck unloading a whole gravel load onto a BMW that was parked just on the entrance of the site. Of course, no one in the site remembered which truck was it when the guy wanted to complain to the police. And the police fined him anyways for parking uncorrectly, and they were even cracking jokes at the BMW asshole. You don’t mess with the construction guys!

I’ve seen them use a forklift to move the offending vehicles out of the way when the construction starts. Usually there is a posted warning either written on the pavement or stick to light poles warning about construction on that date and not to park there, and people still park there anyways. They would usually just remove the vehicle with a forklift.

Thing is people here are like a herd that if they see one vehicle parked there, everyone will park there unless someone does something to stop it.

By the way I just read that some kids ran the red light and got creamed by a blue truck driver. The family tried to sue for damage and was turned down, because “Well they ran the light!”

There is also the idiotic rule that cars are not allowed to turn right on a red light. Meaning everyone proceeds on the green, including pedestrians walking across the road, cars going straight and cars turning right. :doh:

So in a way, I can understand why cars are flooding the crosswalk area. That rule should be reviewed. It would certainly clear the traffic at some intersections if cars could turn right on the red…of course some of them do anyway. :bravo:

I’m not sure what you mean, what would be the point do a red light if you let people drive through it?
There are filter green lights for right and left turns.

Man, am I happy to read this thread… I’ve been living in Taipei for 2 months now and this is BY FAR the worst aspect about the daily routine in Taipei life. I’m from Barcelona, not exactly the city with the best traffic in the world, but compared to Taipei Barcelona looks like Zurich. I’m used to walking/cycling/skateboarding everywhere. Never owned a car or a motorbike. And I try to follow that lifestyle here too, but man it is tough! I get pissed off way too often on the streets here. I mean, it’s bad enough that there’s no sidewalks and that the roads can be tiny… But the fact that drivers will completely ignore you and feel entitled to drive past you dangerously fast… just “drives” me crazy! (Sorry for the bad pun). But what takes the cake is definitely the fact that when you LEGALLY try to cross the road they stare at you like you’re an arse!! If looks could kill… I think sometimes I’m about to fire burning laser out of my eyes when I look back at them. My blood boils just thinking about it!

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I’m not sure what you mean, what would be the point do a red light if you let people drive through it?
There are filter green lights for right and left turns.[/quote]

I didn’t say people should drive through the red light. I said people should be allowed to turn right on the red light and merge with the traffic. That way, there would not be such a surge of traffic when the light eventually turned green and pedestrians would be in less danger.

[quote=“wonder”][quote=“headhonchoII”]I’m not sure what you mean, what would be the point do a red light if you let people drive through it?

I didn’t say people should drive through the red light. I said people should be allowed to turn right on the red light and merge with the traffic. That way, there would not be such a surge of traffic when the light eventually turned green and pedestrians would be in less danger.[/quote]

When you say turning right but not crossing the red light… you mean turning right and ramming the pedestrians that are on the sidewalk? yeah, that will teach them to walk instead of driving a huge SUV.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”][quote=“wonder”][quote=“headhonchoII”]I’m not sure what you mean, what would be the point do a red light if you let people drive through it?

I didn’t say people should drive through the red light. I said people should be allowed to turn right on the red light and merge with the traffic. That way, there would not be such a surge of traffic when the light eventually turned green and pedestrians would be in less danger.[/quote]

When you say turning right but not crossing the red light… you mean turning right and ramming the pedestrians that are on the sidewalk? yeah, that will teach them to walk instead of driving a huge SUV.[/quote]

Oh dear… Blaquesmith has just given us a textbook example of why it is so important to clearly read a simple post. :notworthy:

I was going to say something like that, but required both effort and confidence, and I wasn’t totally sure if I was the one who was missing something… xD

I let a lady and her kids cross the street the other day. Like usual, they gave that deer in the headlights look ( Oh my, someone is being nice to me for no reason!). She kept on looking at me and saying thank you while crossing the street. The problem was she didn’t look the other way on the street and almost got hit by some other retard who didn’t stop even though he was driving to a red light.

That’s the other problem. It really, really winds me up when I tell people why I’m following the rules (for example, by honking long and loud and continuing on my way, as opposed to stopping dead in the middle of a 3-lane, 50kph road to let some bozo creep out from a side road without looking) even though nobody else does. They sort of shake their heads and say, ‘this is Taiwan’, as if to say ‘the laws of physics don’t apply here’. :unamused:

Like some guy get creamed by a blue truck because they decided to speed past a red light in a scooter?

Sometimes natural selection works.