References and experience required for tutoring

I occasionally cruise the tealit ads just to see if there’s anything interesting.

I was curious to note that people seem to be demanding a lot, but offering payments that are comparable to, say Hess. And even more curiouser, is that almost every ad includes a requirement for local references. What’s that all about? Is there some new set of official tealit guidelines or something?

[quote]The days are open to discussion. The hourly pay is NT600.

Seeking a native speaker of English with at least 3 years of experience teaching English to adults in Taiwan who uses a professionally published a full skill curriculum. Bachelor’s degree holder or higher.

Please send your resume with a brief introduction as well as 3 local Chinese- speaking references.[/quote]

[quote] Seeking native English speaker with a Master’s degree in architecture or a B.A. from an Ivy League school with at least 3 years teaching experience in Taiwan to help me prepare for a Graduate School admissions interview to a U.S. university.

Once per week in the morning. NT$600 and up / Hour

Class location is near Taida 台灣大學 or the Beitou district.

If you’re interested, please send me your detailed resume including local references then call me[/quote]

[quote] I’m looking for a Native speaker of English with a strong business background to help me improve my listening and speaking in daily and commercial conversation. Minimum of Bachelor’s degree with Business major from a well- recognized university; 3 years of in- Taiwan teaching experience and at least 5 years of real- world work experience. Banking or finance experience highly sought. I’m working for a foreign bank now. I need a patient tutor with an active, vivid and effective teaching style. 1.5 - 2 hrs / time weekend afternoons or weekday’ evenings. Once or twice a week. Hourly pay is 600 to 800nt dollars.

We can meet near the MRT Blue Line / Taipei City Hall 市政府捷運站.

Please send a brief introduction along with a detailed resume including at least 3 adult- student local references[/quote]

[quote] Seeking a UK native speaker of English. I am a university lecturer. My goal is to improve my communication skills relative to the
humanities. Seeking a UK university graduate with distinction / honors - Bachelor’s degree or higher - in the Liberal Arts, Social Science or Liberal Arts who has at least 3 years experience teaching adults in Taiwan. Once per week, between Wed. to Sat. one and half hours each time. NT$600 - 800 / hr. We can meet near the MRT Green Line - Walong Station 萬隆捷運站. If you are interested in this position please reply with a detailed resume including local references.[/quote]

[quote] I want to find an experienced North American native English- speaking tutor. Bachelor’s degree holder or higher and with a minimum of 3 years experience teaching in Taiwan. Students are my two children who are 3rd grade students.

To improve their speaking and listening in conversational English. Two hours each and time, twice a week. I prefer Wed. and Fri. afternoons & evenings.

The hourly pay is NT$600.

We are located near the Green Line / Xindian City Hall Station 新店市公所捷運站.

Please send a brief introduction as well as a detailed resume including 3 Chinese- speaking local references if you are interested.[/quote]

[quote]My child is a 6th grade student in elementary school. I need an experienced native North American English- speaking tutor with a minimum of 3 years experience teaching in Taiwan. NT$600- 800 / hr. Class time is on Tuesday evenings.

Please send a detailed resume along with a brief introduction. Please include 3 local Chinese- speaking references. [/quote]

[quote]Seeking a native speaker of English with at least 3 years of experience teaching English to adults in Taiwan. Bachelor’s degree holder or higher and at least 5 years of non- tutoring related work experience after university graduation in North America. Engineering, math or science related background HIGHLY sought.

Please send your resume with a brief introduction as well as 3 local Chinese- speaking references.[/quote]

[quote]My job is in the telecom field. I need to write my reports in English related to marketing and sales.

My location is in Taipei, closed to Dapinglin MRT Station- Green Line (大坪林捷運站).

I am seeking a tutor with at least 3 years experience teaching adults in Taiwan who uses a professionally developed curriculum and a minimum of 5 years of non- tutoring work experience after university graduation in North America.

The hour pay is around NT$600~ 700, twice a week, 1.5 hour per time, I prefer have classes in the weekend.

Please send a brief introduction as well as 3 local references. [/quote]

:laughing: Three local Chinese speaking references? :laughing: Nothing says ‘quality’ like ‘I had to get my pal on reception desk to be my referee because my boss doesn’t speak Chinese.’.

Does it also mean they want someone who has been here for a decade or someone who changes jobs a lot?

I would imagine the employers all write lousy engrish and are just plagiarizing off the other ads, don’t you think?

Its the economic crisis. Those inscrutable Chinese are fucking with your Western minds.

[quote]Seeking native English speaker with a Master’s degree in architecture or a B.A. from an Ivy League school with at least 3 years teaching experience in Taiwan to help me prepare for a Graduate School admissions interview to a U.S. university.

Once per week in the morning. NT$600 and up / Hour

Class location is near Tai-Da 台灣大學 or the Beitou district.

If you’re interested, please send me your detailed resume including local references then call me[/quote]

Good luck finding that one.

I can understand if you need help with graduate school admissions interview and you want someone who has passed that hoop in your field and no less from a prestigious US school.

… but then also 3 years teaching experience in Taiwan???
RELEVANCE???

‘Help me with my admission’. Hahahahahahaha.

I did that once, in the UK. She was a lovely girl, and worked really hard. She’d done two years of college in China and was applying to do an undergrad degree in Britland. She studied for around twelve hours a day and was gracious and charming to everyone she met, even the pig of a man from Iran who complained about having Chinese in his class. She got the IELTS score she needed and is happily studying in Cardiff. I spoke on the phone to Cardiff admissions tutor for her. My 'payment? A thankyou card, written in beautiful English and the occasional email. Wouldn’t get out of bed for 600NT. Do it yourself, you lazy, stupid fuck.

Did you see the law firm ad on teailit that has been there for an eternity?

When I worked for the shysters at Lee & Li, at least a half dozen employees requested me to revise the crappy essays they’d written applying for admission to western universities or the crappy letters of recommendation that they’d written on behalf of the partners who had supposedly written said letters of recommendation, all of which I strongly resented so I always made sure to leave a few choice errors. And you’re right, buttercup, NTD600? Get real? Right your own damned essay.

Reminds me of my college buddy who aspired to be a lawyer, had high ideals, and was crushed by the law firm Machine when he worked a year or two as a paralegal.

Among his duties:

Helping, nay, practically doing the admissions process, for so-and-so partner’s son who needed to get into such-and-such Ivy League school.

I never did it in Taiwan. There are loads of dodgy companies that do it: I’m not taking part in it, especially if they’re going to my country. In Taiwan, a lot of students arrogantly expected me to do it for free because they had aid to be in my class. Fortunately, my school’s policy was ‘no’. However, I did help a few students in the UK. Those kids were generally fairly cool, and had the nuts and brains to go to the UK and study and work in supermarkets and restaurants, etc, to get their English up to standard, instead of losing tempo, brain cells and cash at Taipei cram schools.

I dunno, it’s the pathetic money-grabbing presumptuousness of it that annoys me.

And don’t get me started about British ‘universities’ and their pimps who assist/let IELTS band six students into courses that English speakers pay for.

( :laughing: Sorry, I’m ranting about stupid crap. I have helped genuinely smart and cool people who are quite willing and able to make their own applications, but need a bit of polish to their application. )

I only have one mind. :raspberry:

Personally, I think it’s down to these individuals (these are tutoring jobs, btw) not really understanding anything and viewing English classes in the same way that they view potatoes. We’re just commodities, not sources of knowledge and enlightenment. There. Scruted!

I only have one mind. :raspberry: [/quote]

A one TRACK mind maybe. And if you only have one mind, how can you change your mind? This singular mind idea has to be opressed.

I think the person in Tai-Da must be out of their mind! 600 nt and you need references. Pah.

Ok, no more mind references. Mind you I could squeeze one last one in. I had a mate who was suicidal. He was depressed out of his mind, so I pushed him in front of a steam train.
He was chuffed to bits…

:laughing:

I’ll be happy to provide someone with a local Chinese speaking reference for $1000NT. :sunglasses:

I only ever had a ‘local Chinese speaking boss’ for a few months while I did illegal kindy. Mind you, I’m not really much of a good bet…

Anyone know how much they are paying? Probably 600NT an hour.

Anyone know how much they are paying? Probably 600NT an hour.[/quote]

totally fair for those 4 years you spend for your undergrad, the extra 3 for law school, and the 5 years of law firm experience they want

i’m joking here, i really hope they pay more than that, but still, that’s a pretty demanding set of requirements for an editor

Anyone know how much they are paying? Probably 600NT an hour.[/quote]

totally fair for those 4 years you spend for your undergrad, the extra 3 for law school, and the 5 years of law firm experience they want

I’m joking here, i really hope they pay more than that, but still, that’s a pretty demanding set of requirements for an editor[/quote]

haha. it’s Jones Day, and they expect you to be someone’s English teacher too!!

Really sucks in Asia when everyone expects you to double as an English teacher in addition to your primary job. How come they don’t teach you Chinese?

Looking at those posts on Tealit makes me believe they are just copying each other, both on the hourly rate as well as the reference request. What I wonder is if they are actually getting any replies.

Well, I applied to one of them. I am not accepting 600NT an hour. I just applied to see if I could get more. Last time I talked to my references the person who posted the ad had not called my references.