References and experience required for tutoring

It appears the Taiwanese have realized how much we are competing over them. I don’t know if you’ve seen Tealit’s Tutor Wanted section recently, but they all demand at least 3 years in Taiwan. I remember the good ol’ days when a white fella/lass could hop off a plane and be making 800-1000 NTD per hour with just the BA God gave him.

I sure hope this isn’t a continuing trend.

It is most likely they are just copying each others ads. There was another thread about this, and how some of the requirements are ridiculous for a lousy 600NT. I wouldn’t doubt if there was some blurb on the news or something about “what you should require from your tutor.”

And did they contact you, agreeing to pay more? Or, are things so bad that people are accepting these offers?

I take back every good thing I have said about the people of Taiwan.

If he wrote this himself, then his estimation of his own level is seriously flawed. And his requirements are just insane!

[quote]Hi, I want to improve my English ability in speaking, listening and reading. My English is at basic level. I know about 1,000 words.

I hope I can learn from a native speaker for both daily and business English. My goal is to have great ability to handle good conversation with others who speak English well. For reading, I hope start with some interesting stories written for children.

In July or August 2009, I am planning to go to USA with my child who is an elementary school student, for summer vacation. Therefore, I need someone to also teach me travel English and some background about having a holiday in the States.

Mon- Fri, 1~2 times a week, 1.5 hr per time, NT$600~800 / hr.

My location is at Neihu Science Park. Landmark: Fubon Bank.

Seeking a American citizen native- speaker of English with at least a 4- year degree from a top- 30 university who has at least 3 years of experience teaching adults in Taiwan and at least 5 yeears of experience in the work force in the USA outside of teaching. A strong business background is an advantage.

If you are interested please send a brief introductory letter and your detailed resume. Please include 3 local Chinese- speaking references. [/quote]

My question still stands. I wanna know if anyone is answering these ads and if so, doing private tutoring for such a low rate.

XinBiDe, I certainly won’t be joining any such competition unless I can include prep and round-trip travel time in the chargeable hours… :discodance:

They told me that they I must teach from 2PM to 5PM on Wednesdays. I have a job at this time, so that is all the further the conversation went. Unless they are hiring students, I don’t know who would be available at this time.

I think all of these sentences have been copied from tealit.

I think all of these sentences have been copied from tealit.[/quote]

I think this guy has got a very loose grip on reality. I mean, for 600nt per hour shouldn’t he really expect you to wash his car whilst you are teaching him.

I want to see this kind of ad:

Wanted: Students with achievable sense of reality. I charge 1000nt per hour, and I am only available from 8 to 10 am on a Wednesday or Friday. You should have some actual kind of desire to learn and improve your English. I am not looking for a student who intends to not study, or who signs on a whim, or to use me as childcare, to cancel lessons when they are busy, or who just wants to argue with a foreigner. You must sign up for the whole year. Any cancelled lessons on your behalf will be charged at double rate. Any children you bring with you to the lesson cost 2000nt extra. We study exclusively in your home, where I will expect a fried breakfast. Sausages are best for the English. You must have graduated from one of Taiwan’s top 5 universtities. (Not including PFU in Dajia.) (Pig Farmer University) Taipei accents only. Those from the south need not contact me.
Please provide three Western Passport holders as references who can attest that you are not infact a total waste of my energy.

[quote=“TomHill”]I want to see this kind of ad:

Wanted: Students with achievable sense of reality. I charge 1000nt per hour, and I am only available from 8 to 10 am on a Wednesday or Friday. You should have some actual kind of desire to learn and improve your English. I am not looking for a student who intends to not study, or who signs on a whim, or to use me as childcare, to cancel lessons when they are busy, or who just wants to argue with a foreigner. You must sign up for the whole year. Any cancelled lessons on your behalf will be charged at double rate. Any children you bring with you to the lesson cost 2000nt extra. We study exclusively in your home, where I will expect a fried breakfast. Sausages are best for the English. You must have graduated from one of Taiwan’s top 5 universtities. (Not including PFU in Dajia.) (Pig Farmer University) Taipei accents only. Those from the south need not contact me.
Please provide three Western Passport holders as references who can attest that you are not infact a total waste of my energy.
[/quote]

Luckily, I’m your best friend. taiwanted.com/viewlisting.php?view=10865

‘You have five minutes to make me personally care whether you pass your IELTS test. Otherwise, I don’t need the money.’

[quote=“Loretta”][quote=“TomHill”]I want to see this kind of ad:

[/quote]

Luckily, I’m your best friend. taiwanted.com/viewlisting.php?view=10865[/quote]

Oh Lordy Loretta, that is freakin SWEET! Let me know how many people are willing to study with me!

TomHill, that’s beautiful, btw. You are a shining soul and we luvs ya, honey!

(I think you should have been more specific about the sausages, though. That’s going to end in tears.)

I think better would be. 1000 to 2000NT an hour. Lesson will only be offered from 4PM to 6PM since I cannot manage to get rid of my hangover before 2PM and I need time to date the locals after 6PM. Please only apply if you are smart enough to succeed no matter how good are bad the teacher is. A copy of a recent IQ test is required.

To each their own. My point was to put demands on the student. Yours is to point out what a filth merchant you are…