Referendum for Taiwan's future

There is much talk about having a referendum to let the people take a vote on Taiwan’s future. It seems there are three possibilities:

1. Taiwan should quickly unify with the PRC,
  2. Taiwan should declare independence,
  3. Taiwan should assert its status as a “self-governing dominion” under the United States.

Personally, I think that with a few more threats from the PRC, the third option will eventually prove to be the most attractive, but I am interested in what other people might think.

With the USA taking care of Taiwan’s defensive and diplomatic needs, there would be a lot of money left over for domestic improvements across the board!

A while back I made the comment that Taiwan should become the 51st U.S. state. I was surprised to hear that same idea from a few other people here in the U.S. – people who never heard me make that comment. I guess I wasn’t being original after all.

Why not go for it? :slight_smile:

You neglect to mention the choice of physically moving Taiwan to a nice spot adjacent to Hawaii.

If the Taiwanese aren’t even willing to voluntarily defend themselves why should the US risk mussing the hair of even one American serviceman? And if Taiwan became a US state, would you really want James Soong and his ilk involved in American politics? We have enough clowns already starting with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. We sure don’t need to import any.

Has anyone asked the Taiwanese how they feel about that option? :laughing:

[quote=“marky”]1) Taiwan should quickly unify with the PRC,
2) Taiwan should declare independence,
3) Taiwan should assert its status as a “self-governing dominion” under the United States.[/quote]

You failed to mention a fourth option: maintain the status quo. The majority of Taiwanese seem to accept this although it may not be what they really want if they had the choice.

Also option one is so wide open to interpretation. It could mean anything from complete economic and political integration with the PRC to maintaining a de facto independence with loose ties to the PRC.

I have never heard a single Taiwanese person say that they wanted Taiwan to become a “self-governing dominion” of the USA. It seems to me that this idea just comes from Americans.

To clarify one thing: the recent talk about having a referendum is not about Taiwan’s future. It’s risky to have a referendum on Taiwan’s future at this moment.

But back to your topic, I don’t think the majority of Taiwanese people will want to choose any of the three options. If a referendum were held right now, I guess most people would choose to maintain the status quo, namely, the balance of terror.

But it will be a legal precedent.

Agreed…the Taiwanese penchant for hiding their heads in the sand. Maintaining the status quo works only only if the otherside is also interested in maintaining it or if you have the power and will to do so. In this case, the Mainland is not interested and Taiwan has neither the power nor the will.

Sadly to say, Taiwanese don’t really have a better choice thus far. Neither Taiwan nor China is “interested” in maintaining the status quo, but the both are forced to at this moment. Certainly Taiwanese hate being threatened all the time by our hostile neighbor and being constantly squeezed out of the international arena yet without the power to fight back, and certainly China is getting more and more anxious to take over Taiwan, and has tried to isolate Taiwan by using its political and ever-growing economic power as stick and carrot. But currently both Taiwan and China cannot choose but maintain the status quo. China snarls and wants to take over Taiwan badly, but still doesn’t have the power to realize that anytime soon. Moreover, US is involved in this balance of terror, which may be what concerns China most.

Nevertheless, I read an article about comparison of military power between China and Taiwan. It said that China’s general military power (? Or air force? don’t remember) will surpass Taiwan after five years, when the balance of terror will start to lose its balance.

So I agree Taiwanese tend to hide our heads into the sand, but in terms of Taiwan’s political position, we really don’t have better choices given the political reality. This is something that people from a super power may not be easily empathized. :sunglasses:

Having said that, it will be very interesting to hear any suggestion on how Taiwan can find a way out from this tough situation, however creative, instructive, practical, imaginary, funny, feasible these suggestions may be, or not.

Having Taiwanese companies investing in the mainland hasn’t helped. The Mainland has been able to quickly advance it’s high-tech weapons industry as a direct result of Taiwanese businessmen’s shortsightedness. I guess they’ve never heard this:

“The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them.” - Lenin

Taiwan the 51st State?

Source: New York Times
Published: 9 August 1999
Author: Seth Faison

Even with all the various versions of “state” being bandied about in Taiwan these days, it still comes as a surprise to hear someone actually talk about statehood. As in, American statehood.

Yet David Chou comes right out and says it: Taiwan should become the 51st state of the United States.

Chou is not joking. He has a plan. It may never work, but just try telling Chou that. He has been working on it for years.

Chou set up the 51 Club in 1994 to promote his idea. He admitted 51 members. But to him it is not a gimmick. It is a cause. With all the confusing explanations that Taiwan’s government puts forth about whether it is part of China or something separate, Chou’s unusual proposal is refreshingly straightforward.

“If we were a state, our most serious problem – security – would be solved,” said Chou, 49, who sounds considerably more normal than his proposal might suggest. “The current government can’t solve it; neither can the opposition. But statehood can.”

Taiwan has been drowning in political debate since July 9, when President Lee Teng-hui caused an uproar by saying that from now on, talks with China should be held on the basis of equal states, in a “special state-to-state relationship.” Beijing immediately denounced Lee for trying to thwart China’s reunification with the island, while opinion polls in Taiwan show cautious support for Lee’s statement.

“Special state-to-state relations, yes, as a U.S. state,” Chou said. “That’s the only state we should want to be, the state of Taiwan.”

Face facts, Chou says. Taiwan would not exist without the United States. Ever since 1949, when Chiang Kai-shek’s Nationalists retreated to Taiwan after losing China’s civil war to Mao Zedong’s Communists, they have survived by American protection, American trade and the education of countless Taiwan students in American universities.

Chou argues that most people here, if given a choice, would prefer to be American.

“A lot of people in Taiwan are embarrassed to say so,” Chou said, whispering conspiratorially. “The government will never say so. But it’s true.”

Chou seems to fancy himself a visionary. He studied law in the United States, but ended up as a businessman in the toy industry. He seems fiercely committed to the idea of American statehood, but is a bit weak on how to organize.

He needs money, he acknowledges. So in July he set up a foundation called the FormUSA Foundation – a play on Taiwan’s earlier name, Formosa. So far, it has 18 members.

“The Communist Party started with 12,” he said.

Will it take as many decades to achieve his goal as it did for Communist leaders to achieve theirs?

Unlikely, Chou said, but exactly how long depends on Beijing.

“All the PLA has to do is lob a few missiles over, and people will be swarming to us,” he said, referring to the People’s Liberation Army.

Chou lived and worked in New York, Pennsylvania and California over a period of 10 years, and he fell in love with what he sees as a reliable legal system and an open-minded society.

“I know a lot of Taiwanese have reservations about this,” he said. “They may worry that they’ll lose their culture. But I tell them, you can still eat rice; no one will force you to eat hamburgers.”

On July 23, when Richard Bush, an American special envoy, came to Taiwan to meet Lee, Chou organized a tiny demonstration outside the office that represents U.S. interests here and presented a petition addressed to President Clinton and leading members of Congress. It was accepted by Susan Stahl, an American official who promised to forward it to Washington.

More mainstream Taiwan residents, in random questioning, see the idea as little more than a bad joke. The government has yet to dignify it with a comment. Chou said he thought the Taiwan media have largely ignored him because it is controlled by the local establishment.

Yet The China Times, a leading Taiwan newspaper, took him on with a July 25 editorial headlined “Who Wants a 51st State?”

“If the United States allowed far-away Taiwan to become a 51st state, a lot of small undeveloped African countries would have done it long ago,” the editorial said.

One of Chou’s supporters, David Shu, said that, like many young people here, he used to think that the island should declare formal independence, because it has been effectively separate from China for 50 years. But he reasoned that if independence is not feasible, what with China hovering so close by, American statehood is second-best.

When he tries to sell the idea to friends, Shu said, he compares Taiwan to a pretty young woman.

“China is like a gangster,” Shu said. "The United States is like a policeman. Every time the gangster tries to take the girl in his arms, she has to call the policeman to come save her.

“Our job is to get the girl married to the policeman,” he continued. “Then there is no danger, and the protection is permanent.”

Chou put it another way.

“Everyone who goes to America comes back happy,” Chou said. “Taiwan cannot be independent, so we have to merge with another country. Who should it be?”

Then get the superpower’s attention.

Two groups that come to mind are Cuban-Americans and Jewish-Americans, both of whom influence US foreign policy (some say too much, but that’s a whole other topic) in favor of supporting a certain policy toward their ‘home country’. The US strongly supports Israel, and strongly resists Castro.

What have Taiwanese-Americans (or even just Taiwanese in America) done to promote Taiwan’s uniqueness (the only Chinese democracy on earth) and advance its sovereignty?!?!

Nothing. :shock: