Referendums Galore - 2018 Municipal Elections

You have to understand the electorate you’re dealing with. As you say, it will come around again, but they fucked it up this time.

1 Like

A lot less than the people who voted for Nader, got Bush elected, and caused the war in Iraq, the rise of ISIS, etc. They’re thinking, “Everyone should have voted like me.”

It’s not rubbish (economists believe it’s more appropriate than using he was exchange rate), but the PPP adjustment might be too much.zagsjsjsjkklladdjas

1 Like

With this, I can agree.

1 Like

Why did they ask the same questions twice? About SSM and gay related education?

Feel like they would have passed if they just pushed for SSM.

“Gay and lesbian education” might subconsciously push people away. Especially if someone didn’t know about what it entails coming in.

But my understanding is voting yes on trying to change the name was highly unlikely to cause us not to be able to participate in the Olympics? Why did the athletes feel they would lose their spots so strongly? I hope they get booed. They would have been heros if it played out a certain way. Movies would have been made about them.

The only surprise for me was the no. 13.
I thought that people would all vote for using the name TAIWAN in international competitions… :idunno:

Nah, the implications of that name change were made clear. Still, some name change would have been better. “Chinese Taipei” makes it sounds like only the city is being represented. But I don’t think all sides are going to agree to anything different.

I heard the KMT spread misinformation and pushed that trying to change it would cause us to not be able to compete. But idk for sure.

1 Like

I’ve heard this echoed all day at work the past few days. Idk where the meme suddenly came from tho.

Not sure why that one got voted down, but I think it was possibly like “do you see this pot of steaming poo, do you think it should be stirred?”

And people decided best not to poke the poo with the stick

1 Like

As a long time poster, I am not surprised (albeit disappointed) with the anti-gay vote.

Go back more than a decade and read Brian Kennedy posts on Greaseball (A-Bian). The DPP is no more of a human rights party than the KMT is. That a husbandless leader of the DPP can`t even finesse this one through her own Party and voter base (who are socially conservative and yet falsely use the name Progressive) is really telling.

Please.

Sad but true.

I wonder how much of the DPPs pushes for SSM has hurt them.

My feeling is as long as the DPP stays in the same limbo as not pushing for independence or reunification. They will always come out on the bottom as the KMTs policies in the same position is just honestly better short sighted.

Foreign media is starting to publish about the results. And damn are they just really inaccurate about the situation. Makes me feel like reportings on other countries are all misinformed. Things like “DPP is the party that pushes hard for independence” nah it hasn’t been that party for a long time.

1 Like

They do not understand there is no right-left polarization in Taiwan politics. One party stands for incremental poseur independence through fluffy name changing shit, are ethnically homogenous (Hoklo), and are slightly more free trade (and have the support of the majority of liberal-arts foreigners). Despite their so called love of human rights, these Taiwanese, descended from Chinese/Fujianese from 400 years ago, hate the Chinese from 1949, and yet profess to love foreigners, minorities, internationalism, etc. If you hate your own, how can you profess to empathize with outsiders?

The other is the party of government elites, minorities within Taiwan, and state capitalism.

There are pro-gay and anti-gay in both.

The straw-hat wearing, whisbih-drinking, die hard independence minded DPP voter in the South is likely also extremely anti-gay while the New Party pan-blue hipster in Taipei is probably pretty tolerant.

1 Like

Mayor Ko is still ahead by almost 4000 votes. Might pull out.

Major news outlets too, really poor job of portraying both parties and the situation correctly.

But Taiwan’s situation is complicated and confusing. It’s hard to grasp without historical context and depends on how you view it, it changes what is drastically.

It’s up there with Nigeria in confusing political situation.

Oh jeez, I’m getting some anger from commenting on his Facebook live event where people are playing music and singing waiting for the count. “Mayor Ko should open a musical school if he wins, they aren’t very good” did not go well.

I’ve also seen some foreigners saying that Taiwan is really progressive and shit. They really don’t have a clue.

The referendum was always doomed to fail (which is why I kept saying it was a bad idea) especially when the homophobic camp had plenty of resources and pushed it so aggressively.

If a referendum on gay marriage was held in some countries where it is legal today the result would be awful as well.

3 Likes

Ko won, Ting is looking to sue.