Referendums Galore - 2018 Municipal Elections

how much?

You’ll have to ask this guy:

1 Like

Plus the millions who have to work that day because they can’t afford one day off or are not allowed to. Or can’t afford transportation to go to where the huji is.

I was pleased to see a neighborhood cafe close early because it gave its staff time to go to vote.

1 Like

Landlord’s charge more if you put your hukou to their address.

My wife couldn’t vote because she had to work, her colleague couldn’t vote because her household registration is in Kaoshiung and her landlord won’t let her change it for tax reasons.

1 Like

This also annoyed me. Along with the attack on all Christians because some were saying ridiculous things like it’ll make others gay or something. I tried to talk about it on FB with someone who said something about how Christianity is bigoted. And any opinion besides theirs is just not listened to and attacked. There was no room for a conversation at all.

1 Like

I also have little trust in them. But we have two issues. Energy demands are soaring and have been at levels that could dangerously cause outages. Renewables would probably not meet that demand fast enough. Air pollution is happening now and a rising problem, also what’s causing the first problem in climate change making energy demands higher.

I would hope the use of nuclear would also come packaged with a effort into renewables.

1 Like

Your comments have made me dislike this system even more. It neatly brings together tax fraud AND voter suppression!!!

Guy

1 Like

Yea they do, going rate is 3000ntd per month to rent a hukou in Taipei city.

1 Like

Do you? I was thinking about how it’s possible to buy them and turn a profit the other day. Has to be a way

Or anyone. If the Japanese can’t do it safely, who can? There’s nowhere to run here.

2 Likes

Another issue is, most of our nuclear plants use outdated tech from what I understand. Not all nuclear energy plants are equal. There are some new innovations such as being able to reuse nuclear waste as energy and safer reactors. We’ve done a poor job world wide in using the latest and being innovative on nuclear energy as other sources are either cheaper like coal or have more people pouring money into like renewables. Not much investments into nuclear anymore.

I don’t have an issue with nuclear power per se, but it’s not a good idea for tw. Imagine one of those plants out in fulong having a meltdown, it might very well make half of Taipei uninhabitable.

Taiwan’s too small to have nuclear plants, A large catastrophy would just affect too many % of the country.

3 Likes

Also favors old people who don’t have to travel to vote

1 Like

So what’s the solution? Renewables aren’t likely to meet all of Taiwan’s energy needs within the next few years at least. More coal? Force everyone to cut back on electricity usage?

I think there was no good choice. But nuclear as long as nothing happens…is the best option imo. But the risk is always there.

But I still believe this was not a good thing to be left to a direct vote. There’s a lot of information that people needed and a lot of logical thinking to make the correct choice.

Taiwan should have thought about it ten years ago. No “popular” solution.
The attitude will change when regular blackouts happen.
Nuclear is the only possible shorter term solution, even with the drawbacks.
Again, Taiwan are sitting on the fence regarding Electric vehicles etc. Countries like Norway ( HEP an advantage I guess), give incentives like Tax free import, Zero Tolls, Free Parking, for electric vehicles. Ukraine similar…reduced import tax , and more importantly, almost every shopping mall and public place now have charging points.
Talking to BMW, they said they hardly sell any I3 cars because there are very few charging points in Taiwan. All cars are heading down the electric route, but Taiwan is so far behind on both infrastructure and planning, it is a shame.
I have imported some Nissan Leafs…full 40% Tax etc…same as a petrol car. no incentives…as I sit in the smog of Taichung. One of the reasons for the KMT doing well in Taichung , was the promise to lower pollution from the power plant…popular as most of the power generated in Taichung is being sent to Taipei !. Crux of the issue is that Taiwan politicians are reactive and not proactive.

6 Likes