Referendums Galore - 2018 Municipal Elections

It was the opposite for me. My spouse slowly came around to my political point of view (with the exception of her weak spot for NPP candidates–I’m still working on that one).

1 Like

When I married my wife nearly 15 years ago, I was deep green (in my mid 20s). She came from a KMT civil service family. These days, in Taiwan`s political context, I am pan-brown. They are both shit. :laughing::sunglasses:

1 Like

The pain of being disappointed by each candidate from both sides have really made me cynical of them both.

Maybe one day I will try to run for something…I’ll just shit on both parties. There has to be more people who feel like I do. But my Chinese isn’t that eloquent, but perhaps speaking in simple terms would be an advantage. There has to be other people don’t are like wtf are they even talking about.

Maybe you’ll end up sounding like the old-style KMT politicians. They were some seriously inarticulate bastards.

I honestly don’t want to say to much. Just do things that seem so obvious to the average person.

Never too soon to start working on your Taiwanese politician-style fist pump.

1 Like

Hey Ma got a lot of votes for being “handsome” and jogging around lol. I think I got a shot if these are things voters look for in a candidate.

Not a bad strategy at all, if you can pull it off. And Ma was also very inarticulate. He did have sterling party credentials though, so you may have to pull off your shirt and show those six-packs to make up for that lack of pedigree.

Handsome my ass. Ma is fucking nauseating.

Preaching to the choir. Many of your fellow countrywomen found him dreamy though.

They are blind.

One good thing about having referenda is that even if they don’t pass, the issues gets examined by the entire public, and that’s how a society can form a consensus, especially in Taiwan where the media and entertainment fail to inspire people to reevaluate social issues.

Most states in the US went through several rounds of marriage equality, appealing death pabelty and recreational marijuana referenda, and slowly people reached a consensus.

Hopefully with in 5 years I’ll get to attend my friends weddings.

4 Likes

No, nothing good has come out from these referenda. Foreign news outlets are all reporting it, it’s a major international embarrassment, which is actually what matters the most. For my money it’s all about the image of gay friendliness more than everything else (whether it’s true or not), and now that reputation has suffered a blow.

If no referendum was pushed, by next year your friends would be able to get married. No hassle at all.

Btw your friends can still hold a wedding, they just can’t register based on civil law; they’d probably have to do it some other way.

Me.Give.You.GooD.Job.

Free.Biandang.Everyone.

No.Taxes.

I’ve written your speech for you.

2 Likes

The same thing happened in Ireland with divorce referenda…It looks a few rounds to get a majority, eventually it squeaked through.
You need a majority and consensus in a democratic country, you have to bring them with you and also wait for times to change, it’s just the way it works

1 Like

I thought the embarrassment was that we’ve been complaining about competing under Chinese Taipei. Foreign news have mostly sided with us, even japan was friendly to the idea. And voted no…we can’t even agree on being Taiwan.

1 Like

You may be a cunning linguist but I am a master debator :stuck_out_tongue:

The fact that Ireland needed referenda to decide whether people could get a divorce or have an abortion is so not something to brag about, regardless of the outcomes. Your Constitution is extremely screwed up.

That is completely not true. MOST countries were against gay marriage when they first legalised it. It should be decided through legislative or judicial means, not a popular vote. When Canada legalised gay marriage in 2005 only like 40% of the population supported it. Now you can hardly ever run into a Canadian who doesn’t support SSM. Ireland and Australia were luckier in that you held the referendum after almost all your neighbours/countries that have historical ties with you have already legalised it. If those were held just a few years before it wouldn’t have passed.

I can GUARANTEE you that if the US holds a nation-wide referendum on gay marriage now, the result would be almost as bad as Taiwan’s. Same goes for a bunch of Latin American countries that have legalised it through legislative or judicial means like Brazil.

No. The gay marriage referendum is far more embarrassing. No foreign media outlet is reporting the name change, but most of them have reported gay marriage.

Back in my university dorm we had two gay Taiwanese exchange students who unironically viewed Ma as some sort of gay icon and thought he was incredibly handsome. They also thought he was closeted (which I also think) and would constantly blush and joke around about him being well hung.

Come to think of it, all of the Taiwanese I went to school with were KMT supporters. I always find it strange that most Taiwanese I meet in Vancouver or anywhere overseas are pro blue. IME