Referendums Galore - 2018 Municipal Elections

How many teachers are openly homosexual ?
Even single mothers here are still disrespected.

Very few, but how many teachers are openly homosexual in Ireland? Or the UK?

I don’t know but obviously more than Taiwan…There’s still a lot of Confucius influence in Taiwan.
Father and mother, coming from a good family, strict parenting, having children, inheriting the family name…All that jazz.

I knew 1 that I worked with from SA that was gay. He wasn’t openly as in he told everyone that. But like you could probably guess. But perhaps some parents were oblivious to it, and he didn’t announce it or anything. But again I only worked part time for a little while as a teacher so idk, maybe I worked with the only one on the island.

Public school teacher ?

It’s very hard to get a job in the public system, they check your background, your family, your grades, even if you have learned musical instruments like piano etc. It’s selective for certain types of people.
Now there is some of that in other public systems as well to be honest, but not as onerous.

No, not public school. I don’t know about public schools, I don’t have kids and it’s been a long time since I was at school.

They have similar selection process in state banks, state institutions, checking your family background. Quite conservative country and of course guanxi rules , probably more than sexuality!

But being gay would be counted against you? Or just speculation?

Open homosexual teachers to exist. They are rare though.

Idk if this poll has any credit but it says 50% of the gay ppl surveyed have come out at work, which kinda makes sense as co-workers and bosses most likely wouldn’t care if it’s not their children.
https://www.chinatimes.com/newspapers/20161023000316-260114

1 Like

I think it would definitely count against you in competitive position in public schools.

Once you are hired it’s almost impossible to fire you. But getting the job in the first place…By the way I have an in law that is lesbian and she was hired as a public school teacher after ten years temping , ultimately through guanxi and also some money possibly changed hands (this happens regularly in Taiwan for public positions no bullshit). But she is not even out to her family let alone the school board or students !

To be a little fairer I also have in-laws back in the homeland that got their job in the public system partly through guanxi.

1 Like

I can see it for schools. But I’ve found most work places to not mind at all. But I can see it be different on who runs the business.

You reminded me, dad had a gay employee in Taiwan. He was gay, we all knew it. He just seemed to not want to acknowledge it or make it a thing so people just left it at that. He did very well, promoted to GM…didn’t feel like anyone cared as long as he produced. People here respect productive and competent people.

I didn’t know it was hard to get a job at public schools. All the girls I know who went to school for education got a job pretty much right away, along with a future husband lol

I, along with other supporters, greeted her at the DC airport when she visited. She seems extremely introverted.

i never said get rid of AC. i don’t think you really get my point.

andrew: yea i have been into a temple in taiwan before. madness huh? i’ve seen some other old buildings too that have courtyards, such as the buildings in di hua jie. the fact is, before there was consideration for these things. now there isn’t. and there really should be in a place as hot as taiwan. i’m not saying something controversial here.

if things are getting worse why would you not want to do something to improve that?i’m just saying things can and should be done to reduce the power, and pollution too.

Sure and I agree, why would I think otherwise ?

20 posts were split to a new topic: Trump chatter from referendums

Just because some of us prefer strict constitutionalism on the Court, does not make us hardcore conservatives or anti-gay. On issues such as abortion or gay rights (which I both agree with), I would just prefer to see it dealt with through state legislators (who are accountable with voters) rather than unaccountable justices who have life tenure.

5 Likes

Anybody else think these elections were simply just the usual bouncing of the ball between green and blue?

The blue side are a useful relief valve for when tension with China builds. The KMT are a great tool that way , if they weren’t around we could face a much more direct clash with China.

1 Like

Yes, the well known pendulum principle of Taiwan politics. The current swing is only mid-way thru. KMT may win Presidency in 2020 only to lose it in 2024 or 2028 at latest.

1 Like