Referendums Galore - 2018 Municipal Elections

I believe they are or are not intelligent people who have the 100% right to express their opinion on any matter. Respect others’ opinions, whether you agree or not.
Democracy provides for such an environment, or does Taiwan want to become like Germany and Italy in the 1930s?

If a referendums passes, so be it.
If a referendum fails, so be it.

1 Like

Regarding athletes’ opinions, it seems to be divided along the green/blue camps as well.

Universiade tennis gold medallist Jason Jung voiced his support for No. 13.

The daughter of KMT’s candidate for New Taipei City mayor Hou You-yi posted her support for name correction for the Tokyo Olympics, as well as marriage equality, on facebook, both of which are opposed by the KMT’s party line.

Hou simply said he respects his daughter’s decisions.

It’s a very divisive topic, mainly because it’s a political issues pushed into sports, and the only ones who may suffer from it are the athletes themselves.

If the IOC decides that this referendum is pushing it too far, not only can they deny Taiwan to join the Olympics as Chinese Taiwan, but they could also deny the qualifying athletes to join as independents, since it’s a process that requires their approval. And of course, most (all?) of the staff of the Chinese Taipei sport association would be left home, since the independent athletes are for the most part followed by the IOC itself. Everyone is assuming that the worst case is that our athletes would join as independents, would that’s not guaranteed at all.
Everyone assumed the youth games were going to be held in Taichung, they had already been assigned, but pressure from china has a lot of $power.

IOC has always denied Taiwan from joining as Chinese Taiwan. Just nitpicking, I know you meant Chinese Taipei.

Taiwan has competed in the Olympics under the name Taiwan before.

5 out of the 9 regions involved in the East Asian Youth Games are either Chinese territories or have tight relations with China. You’ve got China, Hong Kong, Macau, North Korea and Mongolia. In addition to that, the chair of EAOC, who also had a vote, was also Chinese.

Why would that come as a surprise that China could abuse the situation and treat athelete’s future as their political leverage?

The only betrayal came from South Korea who voted with the Chinese. Who says the two Koreas can’t agree on anything?

If anything, that event proves that China would always use sports and athletes as a means to threaten Taiwan, and makes it more evident that Taiwan should correct its name and stop using a self imposed ridiculous name.

“Chinese Taiwan” was an interesting brain fart, I’ve attended so many competitions during which I’ve heard both Chinese Taipei and Taiwan, that my brain is starting to fuse them together.

There are a couple of guys making propaganda for the chinese communist party at the technology building mrt station, they even have a kid dressed with a jacket that has the chinese flag. Feelsbadman.

Human rights should not be voted on; they should just be.

1 Like

Where did you even read this? It’s completely NOT true.

The IOC can ban anyone. It’s completely true.

That’s laughable. They’ve only said that they wouldn’t change the name if it’s proposed.

Stop reading (and buying) fake news.

I’ve not knowingly read any fake news, and I’m responding to that. However, I know for a fact that the IOC can, and have, banned nations from the Olympics.

Yeah, for doping or for apartheid. They have never banned nations from the Olympics for proposal of a name change.

It would require some googling, which I don’t have time for right now. However, I would hazard a guess that there were some Axis power name changes in 1948.

Germany and Japan were not allowed to send any athletes since they were under Allied occupation, but how’s that comparable to the situation here? Is Taiwan under Allied occupation for war crimes now?

Not even Italy and Austria were banned.

Yeah, you’re right Gain. The IOC could not ban Chinese Tapiei from the Olympics if they changed their name.

Ugh no. Some opinions are just wrong.

Germany and Italy in the 30s are precisely why these referenda are such bad ideas. Populism and misinformation are the recipe of catastrophe.

Which is why there shouldn’t be any referendum.

Referendums are bad, luckily no one will ask the opinion of Europeans regarding the formation of an army “of peace” controlled by the European Commission, whose leaders no European citizen ever elected.

Take that, populists! Shut up and accept what someone decides, it’s for the greater good!

Well, of course, but are you seriously suggesting that they shouldn’t be expressed or respected Gain?

Well I’m not advocating that they should be fined or put in jail for their opinions, but if anyone wants to spread hateful bullshit like gay people are pedos or gay people all have aids then don’t complain about your opinions not being respected when others call you out.

Of course. That’s debate.