Referendums Galore - 2018 Municipal Elections

Stop trying to make it like it’s clear cut. There was no good choice. We don’t have the ability to go fully green especially since no one made any real plans in the first place. Burning more coal and risking power outages are both serious issues.

I live right here in Taiwan. For 7 years I lived less than 5 miles away from the Jinshan plant. I’ve already spent plenty of time in this thread going over Taiwan’s history with nuclear power. Suffice it to say that the country has a several decade history of being extremely safe with its nuclear power production. Every international agency gives it top marks.

Where’s the storage site for the high-level waste?

Taipower still has no idea where to put it. Lying to residents on Orchid Island when they set up their low-level waste site worked in the 1980s. It won’t work now.

Guy

fwiw, climate change functions exactly like a religion with many people on the left. They don’t usually acknowledge it, however.

They tend to freak out a bit in the presence of an apostate, or if they think someone they like and respect (you) may become one. Once I figured this part out it became much easier to ignore the personal stuff (because it will come your way).

1 Like

But isn’t nuclear…better for climate change?

I was fully supportive of going green, still am. But there needs to be a plan…it’s been a complete nightmare letting politicians pay lip service to the whole go green and stop climate change rhetoric since they proven time and time again they have no idea on how to do it. I’m just a guy who got fooled one too many times with climate alarmist and complete government failures on the issue to just buy in to everything.

Many people would rather stop or slow economic progress to halt/slow climate change.

They’re not likely to accept any “solution” but a retardation of economic activity.

1 Like

It’s currently being stored safely on site and that’s fine for the foreseeable future. Considering that high-level waste has practically never caused any significant safety issues, it worries me very little compared to the complications associated with other forms of energy production.

The waste associated with fossil fuel burning is being stored in my lungs and in our atmosphere. That worries me more.

This notion that leftists actually like or respect those who flout climate change is…beyond delusional. But that’s beside the point.

Gain just laid out what the referendum was about and Andrew cannot handle the possibility that he might be wrong about something, so he took it as a personal attack. How or why this discussion is morphing…well, I guess that’s just the nature of the forum.

Andrew can’t really complain anymore about how no one comes to his rescue, though. That’s at least two times in recent memory that bojack has.

I’m sure your gif had nothing to do with it.

My gif? Oh god, not the gif!

Beyoncé didn’t turn the conversation away from referendums. You did.

I don’t think @Andrew0409 needs my help for anything. I think he does pretty well all by himself - and often when it’s him against many others.

How was I wrong?

The referendum allowed the reopening and extension of reactors and plants…which was the intention of the pro nuclear people behind the referendum. Everyone knew this, this is what the purpose was.

Gain called me a right wing rednick KMT republican that’s uninformed…which you happily backed.

You seem to carry around this I treat you differently idea. I treat you the same exact way I treat others here arguing the argument . But yeah, now i’m starting to get annoyed with you personally.

I’m not saying he does need your help. I’m saying other posters, such as yourself, have definitely come to his aid.

He’s been hung up on that recently, which is why I bring it up.

Good luck with that. :grin:

As an American I can tell you that just about everybody who lives thousands of kms away from the US nevertheless holds at least one bizarrely strong opinion about how people there should comport themselves. I suspect that it works both ways.

Good news is that you’ll get used to it.

Gain pointed out that you were wrong, in his usual severe style, and my reaction was essentially “oh shit” because I know how much you hate that.

And starting?! Don’t lie. You’ve been particularly annoyed with me ever since the Mormonism thread. People have noticed.

But I wasn’t wrong…

But i guess you don’t know anything about the acutal subject so.

I think you’re newer so you probably are not used to me. I have not thought about that for a long time…but seems you have which confirmed my suspicion. And That thread…which was also split from another long thread was what like almost 6-700 posts…with me defending myself against a whole lot of people…if you think you did particularly…you didn’t. I don’t even remember what you said, I can remember some better arguments by others though.

I think the fact remains that other users have picked up on how much I, in particular, grind your gears, for myriad reasons.

Which, actually, is no big deal. I think of it as sort of a sibling rivalry kind of dynamic, since it seems like you used to be the main poster of our age bracket here until I started butting in.

It’s all good fun imo. Don’t take a sassy gif here and there too seriously.

I think you haven’t stepped inside IP for a while.

If you find that I disagree with you…it’s because you are saying something I disagree with. I don’t find random things to pick on.

That’s for my own sanity.

It’s riskier to face a Chinese blockade without any stockable sources of energy.