Refried beans

Last time I went to Breeze they were out. Now Wellcome have dropped the item. Who else has them?

Matsusei usually has them.

Jason’s 101 always has them.

I can confirm, Matsusei’s usually have them (my local one always seems to, in Donghu) and Jason’s always has them, as does Wellman’s up in Tianmu.

I could have sworn i saw some Old El Paso at Breeze the other day.

Thanks guys. Jonesing for a burrito… Off to check Jason’s Market in Taichung Chungyo.

If anyone has a can in the pantry, could you post the phone number of the distributor? I’d like to go to the source and buy a case or two.

Rosarita Refried Beans (from the Box Store in Kaohsiung).

ConAgra foods Inc.
P.O. Box 3768, Dept. ROS
Omaha, NE 68103-0768 USA

www.rosarita.com

Cust.Svc. 1-800-365-8300

OR:

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/refried_beans/

The Taiwan distributor’s number is not on the stick-on Chinese label? I though that had to be there by law. I have tried writing to Conagra but they couldn’t help me.

This was brought to my house last night by a friend. It came from the Box Store in K-town, which is a little place run by some folks who personally import these things and sell them at a huge mark up. So no local info available, sorry.

Did you look at the link? They’re sick easy to make; they just take a little time. But you can make a huge batch and freeze what you don’t need. Then you can make your own, adding garlic or jalapeno peppers, or what you like. I could be fun, you know.

I like making stuff from scratch, my own curries, sauces etc. and used to make Rajma (dal) from the pinto beans they sold at Carrefour… until they stopped selling them. :fume:

UPDATE: Found a supplier: tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/e31518644

My wife has just told me that dried pinto beans are available in many places, although I’m not sure if I believe her. I’ve been keeping my eye out for them but haven’t noticed any in the western-style supermarkets or the organic stores.

Bittman’s recipes for refried beans talk don’t limit them to pinto - pink (?), black, and red are also apparently OK.

(In bean-related news: I’ve looked for canned chickpeas in three different places that normally stock them this past week, and failed to find any. I’m sure they’ll come back, but man it’s hard shopping to recipes in this country - I can’t believe how often I get to a Wellcome and discover there aren’t any chicken breasts, or no red peppers, and spinach has disappeared lately… argh!)

Carrefour used to stock them. There’s a brand which offers various beans and pulses in IIRC 500g bags, but they suddenly stopped stocking the pinto beans last year. They still have lentils, red and green beans of course. :unamused:
I’m sure you’d have better chances in Taipei. Taichung has such a paucity of expats and the local market just wants local produce in an air-conditioned environment, rather than a real international selection. It’s sad to see the supermarkets offering less imported stuff every month, but you can understand their reasoning. The crazy prices that Jason’s Market asks down here make it worth my while to drive up to the Breeze Center once every month or two for a spree.

Look for the traditional-style local stores, often with an open storefront, not glassed in, that sell sundry dried and canned food items; there’s at LEAST one every 500 meters or so in traditional neighborhoods. They typically have dried chickpeas (not to be confused with dried lotus seeds, which they also carry), dried pinto beans, rice, flour, dried mushrooms, oats, cheap baking soda in bulk, flour in bulk, etc…

1 Like

Look for the traditional-style local stores, often with an open storefront, not glassed in, that sell sundry dried and canned food items; there’s at LEAST one every 500 meters or so in traditional neighborhoods. They typically have dried chickpeas (not to be confused with dried lotus seeds, which they also carry), dried pinto beans, rice, flour, dried mushrooms, oats, cheap baking soda in bulk, flour in bulk, etc…[/quote]
Thanks - I’ll have a look. I tend not to bother with those stores, because I… well, I just feel stupid when I walk in them, actually. I believe I have requested 小雞豆 at one point, which just proves the old saying about a little knowledge.

I’m not sure if I have any use for bulk baking soda, however.

Dragonbones, going OT: have you found any dried mushrooms here that work well for cooking western-style mushroom dishes, like mushroom soups or sauces? It’s one of those things I keep meaning to experiment with. (In other words, dried porcini substitutes.)

I mention it for people who have litter boxes to deodorize.

I’ve split your mushrooms question off as a separate thread in Food.

Jason’s has regular and vegetarian, and refried black beans, too.

I mention it for people who have litter boxes to deodorize.[/quote]
:doh: I think you may have just saved me a lot of money on those little bottles of deodorizing powder for kitty litters.

Apparently I don’t need to walk into a traditional dried goods store to feel stupid - I can do it all by myself on my computer at home!