Regretting and wondering what I have done to him?

Awkward reunion situation!

Recently, I went back to the small town in BC where I took E.S.L. classes for one summer years ago. Met my first Canadian crush and his Japanese wife accidently. Well, usually, I would be polite and sociable then soon find an excuse dismissing myself in the similar situation. No hard feeling nor anything further at all.

However, I was shock by how his wife resembles to me. It wasn’t that bad if it was just me! I saw his wife’s face twisting and he closing his eyes as if he wished this was just a nightmare the moment we met. Awkward is the only word I can think of to describe it!

I am 10 years his senior. I was already in my late 20’s and he’s just a college freshman going to junior when we first met. Like most other average single Taiwanese women, my experience of relationship with men were nearly none. I spent most time on studying and worked on saving money to fulfill my dream—Studying aboard. Of course, I was no hot girl and a little bit chubby, hence… I had very low self-esteem and some trusting issue with men. I made up my mind to have a new life and be a much happier person the moment I step out of Taiwan. I managed to lost 35 lb in 3 months before I went to Canada.

He, on the other hand, was a prom king type of guy in his town. He’s been dating a prom queen since high school. He was chosen to be our teacher assistant that summer. His job majorly was talking and accompanying with international students. Most of the International students were young and rich Japanese and Hong Kong students . I were the first Taiwanese of that program and the oldest one. Hence, even though I was stunned by his beauty (yes, it’s the word) and personality. However, I knew my standard so I kept my distance from him! I didn’t’ think if he even noticed my exist at all.

I was surprised and ultra flatted to be told that Prince Charming was very interesting in me. Other than that , first thought in my mind was “Mrs., Robinson” when I calmed down! He must think I was experienced while I had none experience with men at all! I ain’t gonna embarrassed myself for a kid! Therefore, I hardened my heart and never closed to him without a 10 foot pole. Later on, the summer had been the happiest yet the most torturing time of my life. I enjoyed being flushed with tons of attention by a boy of my dream. I had to reject his charm and persistent pursuing the same time. I didn’t think it could dent him a bit since he’s such a popular and charming person. I transferred to other big city after the summer as he transfer to university of the same city. But we never met again till recent.

With all those beautiful and smart young girls( both Canadians and Japanese) he had dated, why on the earth he married to a women who’s as plane (if not ugly) as I am and seems to be much older than him? Suddenly, I felt all the guilt and wondered what I had done to him that summer! I wish I were more mature and wiser to handle the situation and didn’t hurt that wonderful boy at all!

Sorry for the long post! I’m just expressing my regret of hurting a young man’s feeling! Just wish him and his family the best! Thank you for tolerating my post!

How do you know you hurt him? Maybe you just opened his eyes.

If anything you shouldve really taken that boy to town. LIve the dream. Too late now with him, but dont miss the next chance.

[quote=“phyllisd”]

Sorry for the long post! I’m just expressing my regret of hurting a young man’s feeling! Just wish him and his family the best! Thank you for tolerating my post![/quote]

What on earth are you talking about? Are you okay?
Just because the guy happens to date a girl older than him does not correlate to you hurting his feelings. Why do you seem to think his world revolves around you? Are you saying his wife is a substiture for you? Sorry if sounding rude but your post is really weird and gives me the creeps lol I’m sure I misunderstood it and someome else can explain what you are on about.

Shes just publicly sharing a private moment. Whats wrong with that? :2cents:

and I am replying in public and giving my :2cents:

She’s not talking about you is she Tommy ? :roflmao:

So on a more serious note is she saying "A younger guy that once chased me a long time ago but i rejected him because I was scared; he is now married to a woman who is older than me and is also Asian. This marriage happened because she was my subsititute. Therfore I am so sorry I ruined his life. Is that correct?
Perhaps the guy just likes older Asian women that look a certain way “plain and around ten years older”.

I am a bit confused about the post?

So on a more serious note is she saying "A younger guy that once chased me a long time ago but i rejected him because I was scared; he is now married to a woman who is older than me and is also Asian. This marriage happened because she was my subsititute. Therfore I am so sorry I ruined his life. Is that correct?

I am a bit confused about the post?[/quote]

Not me, I like girls younger then me :slight_smile:
Shes just letting us slip in her mind a moment, pretty innocent.

Shes really saying she had a chance with this guy back in the day but blew it. Yes she did, blow it… or rather she didnt blow it but she did, ya know what i mean?

I am a bit confused about the post?[/quote]

Not me, I like girls younger then me :slight_smile:
Shes just letting us slip in her mind a moment, pretty innocent.

Shes really saying she had a chance with this guy back in the day but blew it. Yes she did, blow it… or rather she didnt blow it but she did, ya know what i mean?[/quote]

Ah okay I read it incorrectly. To me the post came out as “oh I did not want him so he got a subsititue that looked just like me”.

But okay I understand it better now. So it was bad luck for her that time so better luck next time.

Phyllis - tell us, is this your ad on Craigslist?

taipei.craigslist.com.tw/w4m/1710455122.html

[quote=“HooknSinker”]Phyllis - tell us, is this your ad on Craigslist?

taipei.craigslist.com.tw/w4m/1710455122.html[/quote]
How does it matter? And she does not owe anybody an answer.

Phyllis, thanks for posting.

You shouldn’t feel the least bit of guilt or shame or remorse, though.

Dating and relationships are almost always awkward, difficult, trial and error, especially for people as young as the two of you were back then.

So, big deal. You each had your respective experiences back then, you both learned and grew, no one suffered any permanent injuries, you have memories to look back on, but presumably (hopefully) you’ve both moved on with your lives and will continue to do so.

That’s life. We all have our ex’s. We all have our memories. Nothing wrong with you sharing that memory here, at all. That’s fine. But keep in mind that there’s nothing particularly significant or meaningful in your memory, we’ve all got similar fuzzy memories from our past, that’s just part of the whole progression of life.

Chiayo.

[quote=“divea”][quote=“HooknSinker”]Phyllis - tell us, is this your ad on Craigslist?

How does it matter? And she does not owe anybody an answer.[/quote]

tHAT GIRL in toronto is hot. Maybe I should send her an email? Hmm :slight_smile:

p.s. for sure MT. IF I can do it all over again… I’d do it with DIFFERENT WOMEN !!!

Thank you all for the comments…

One of the reasons I post my story here was…
The boy was an expat teaching English in Japan after his graduated, just likes many of you on this board.
I feel more comfortable post it here than any other forum. I assumed that you can be more related to his situation.

Majority Americans still have their bias against Asian women in some ways! I can image what kind of comments I will get if I post my story on one of those major message boards…
" Of course he’s not interesting in hot girls! He’s gay! Asian women look like a boy…blah, blah. blah"
And thankfully, I didn’t get anything like that from you guys! You have been very kind!

I never have had false thought of my relationship with him could be otherwise! It would never work! Not because of him but ME! My low self-esteem wouldn’t allow myself being happy with a guy who is way out of my league. I just wish I could handle things better so he wouldn’t been traumatized… I think! I feel I had the responsibility for that boy married “down”! He deserves someone better…I think!

Maybe I am just a shallow old fool, I know nothing about his wife. Now, my only wish is him to be happy!
Thank you all again!

Oh! How I wish! Unfortunately, No! Sorry to disappoint you!

[quote=“phyllisd”]Thank you all for the comments…

One of the reasons I post my story here was…
The boy was an expat teaching English in Japan after his graduated, just likes many of you on this board.
I feel more comfortable post it here than any other forum. I assumed that you can be more related to his situation.

Majority Americans still have their bias against Asian women in some ways! I can image what kind of comments I will get if I post my story on one of those major message boards…
" Of course he’s not interesting in hot girls! He’s gay! Asian women look like a boy…blah, blah. blah"
And thankfully, I didn’t get anything like that from you guys! You have been very kind!

I never have had false thought of my relationship with him could be otherwise! It would never work! Not because of him but ME! My low self-esteem wouldn’t allow myself being happy with a guy who is way out of my league. I just wish I could handle things better so he wouldn’t been traumatized… I think! I feel I had the responsibility for that boy married “down”! He deserves someone better…I think!

Maybe I am just a shallow old fool, I know nothing about his wife. Now, my only wish is him to be happy!
Thank you all again!

Oh! How I wish! Unfortunately, No! Sorry to disappoint you![/quote]

Who is gay?

[quote=“phyllisd”] I never have had false thought of my relationship with him could be otherwise! It would never work! Not because of him but ME! My low self-esteem wouldn’t allow myself being happy with a guy who is way out of my league. I just wish I could handle things better so he wouldn’t been traumatized… I think! I feel I had the responsibility for that boy married “down”! He deserves someone better…I think!

Maybe I am just a shallow old fool, I know nothing about his wife. Now, my only wish is him to be happy![/quote]

Why is this prom king out of your league? Because you’re no prom queen? What do you mean he married ‘down’? Not trying to be mean here, just, you’re not making a lot of sense.For all you know, he might think you’re the best thing that ever walked the earth too, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that…

It was also strange that she said lots of western guys have negative things to say about asian girls and find them unattractive. Huh? :eh:

Is she not aware of the commonly accepted notion that lots of western guys, such as her old flame in Canada, for instance who worked with the asian students when he was in college, dated a Taiwanese then and later married a Japanese, have an asian fixation and go gaga over every asian girl they meet back in their home country even if that girl might be considered less than stunning in her home country? Apparently not.

Phyllis, as they say in Taiwan, “you think too much.” I suspect you didn’t hurt this guy like you believe you did and you had nothing to do with his choice of subsequent partners. He may have been interested in you at the time, but that time is long past. You’re probably a perfectly nice, decent person and he may have been interested in you for various reasons back then, but don’t give yourself too much credit for having shaped his life because you probably didn’t.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]It was also strange that she said lots of western guys have negative things to say about asian girls and find them unattractive. Huh? :eh:

Is she not aware of the commonly accepted notion that lots of western guys, such as her old flame in Canada, for instance who worked with the asian students when he was in college, dated a Taiwanese then and later married a Japanese, have an asian fixation and go gaga over every asian girl they meet back in their home country even if that girl might be considered less than stunning in her home country? Apparently not.

Phyllis, as they say in Taiwan, “you think too much.” I suspect you didn’t hurt this guy like you believe you did and you had nothing to do with his choice of subsequent partners. He may have been interested in you at the time, but that time is long past. You’re probably a perfectly nice, decent person and he may have been interested in you for various reasons back then, but don’t give yourself too much credit for having shaped his life because you probably didn’t.[/quote]

That is what I wanted to say too but mine came out all impolite and muddled lol. Yah very well put. :thumbsup:

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]It was also strange that she said lots of western guys have negative things to say about Asian girls and find them unattractive. Huh? :eh:

Is she not aware of the commonly accepted notion that lots of western guys, such as her old flame in Canada, for instance who worked with the Asian students when he was in college, dated a Taiwanese then and later married a Japanese, have an Asian fixation and go gaga over every Asian girl they meet back in their home country even if that girl might be considered less than stunning in her home country? Apparently not.

Phyllis, as they say in Taiwan, “you think too much.” I suspect you didn’t hurt this guy like you believe you did and you had nothing to do with his choice of subsequent partners. He may have been interested in you at the time, but that time is long past. You’re probably a perfectly nice, decent person and he may have been interested in you for various reasons back then, but don’t give yourself too much credit for having shaped his life because you probably didn’t.[/quote]

That is what I wanted to say too but mine came out all impolite and muddled lol. Yah very well put. :thumbsup:[/quote]

My thoughts were also similar. All of my friends ask if I am gay because I don’t find asian girls attractive at all. As far as I am aware, I am in an incredibly tiny minority.

[quote=“tommy525”][quote=“divea”][quote=“HooknSinker”]Phyllis - tell us, is this your ad on Craigslist?

How does it matter? And she does not owe anybody an answer.[/quote]

tHAT GIRL in toronto is hot. Maybe I should send her an email? Hmm :slight_smile:

p.s. for sure MT. IF I can do it all over again… I’d do it with DIFFERENT WOMEN !!![/quote]

She likes hunting and fishing but i wonder if that meant men.

Sorry if my insensitively gay comments have offended anybody here. I certainly know that most Forumosans are open minded and cultural friendly bunch. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be there and staying in the first place.

Have I mentioned that I have been staying in America for many years after I graduated from school? I live in Los Angeles and enjoy its melting pot culture and the freedom of speech, both PC and PI. One of my favorite radio talk showsand one of my favorite relationship message boards. They have quite variety of opinions on many things comparing to most Forumosans’. Not that I completely agree with them, I have learned how to agree with disagree during these years. Perhaps, I have been with the wrong crew!

I don’t want to be arguing and do sincerely apology for my inappropriate inputs. I will dismiss myself as soon as you realized. Thank you all again!