Relative cost for wedding rings

I proposed to the Mrs. (wow that will literally be true soon) last month using a really cheap ring I’d bought in California. She had said previously that she wanted to look at rings together, so it was just a placeholder one so that I didn’t have to propose without a box to open.

Now I’m heading home to LA for a couple weeks and was wondering, are wedding rings more expensive in one place or another, generally speaking? They shouldn’t be, I assume, but for some reason I get the feeling prices in Taipei would be inflated. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

We were looking at a pair of rings that together went for NT$40,000. I realize this is on the cheap side but I’m poor. I guess my question is what will get me more value for the money: 40,000 Chiang Kai-sheks or 1,300 George Washingtons?

1,300 George Washingtons, FOR SURE. It’s true for Tiffany’s. It’s even more true with other jewelry places

god, all those late nights TV watching in LA isn’t paying off… what are those darn jewelry places called? Robin’s brothers? Zain’s? … wait. heck I do remember… what’s wrong with me…

[quote=“hansioux”]1,300 George Washingtons, FOR SURE. It’s true for Tiffany’s. It’s even more true with other jewelry

got, all those late nights TV watching in LA isn’t paying off… what are those darn jewelry places called? Robin’s brothers? Zain’s? … wait. heck I do remember… what’s wrong with me…[/quote]

Someone been thinking about marriage lately?

There’s a Robin’s brothers near my house in LA. Too bad my fiancee won’t be coming with me, so we can’t pick one together… :doh:

Guess I’ll just choose to get ripped off in Taiwan.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
Guess I’ll just choose to get ripped off in Taiwan.[/quote]

considering getting round trip tickets for her would be way more expensive than getting ripped off in Taiwan… it’s probably a wise decision

Have a look at rings here so you have a really good idea of what she likes then if you find one in LA just send pictures. If you look at enough rings you will get a really good idea of what to buy. Surely getting one made could be cheaper here? If you take away the cost of the diamond it should be cheaper here than in the states.

My brother in Australia took a photo of the ring his fiancee liked and I made it in NZ for them, there really isn’t a HUGE amount of different styles with rings.

Oh! And CONGRATULATIONS!!! Awesome news.

Looks like we dropped the question in the same week! :slight_smile:

I had the ring made by an independent jewerly shop in Taiwan. Since my gf (now fiance) does not like yellow gold, I choose high grade silver. Cannot spell out the price 'cause I am pretty sure my fair lady stalks this halls once in a while, but it did not cost an arm and a leg. I can give you the address if you want. Just be warned that this is nothing like the “big names” stores and is probably more appropriate if you two have an idea of what the rings should look like and want to have it custom made.

Congrats Hokwongwei!!

platinum or sterling silver looks way better than yellow gold for…

wait… I used to get really confused about engagement rings and wedding rings. but it appears in Taiwan there’s no such distinction. So are you looking for one with a diamond (engagement) or a plain one so the lady don’t have to worry about the ring when she goes about her daily activities?

Luckily, I have family heirloom rings waiting for me. I just pay for the shipping and resizing.

You’re doing it right, take the missus and both decide on something you both like and it’s at your range.
I think the rule of thumb was 3 months salary, but then got debunked as a Marketing scheme by De Beers.

Congratulations. Did she say yes? I think it doesn’t matter as long as it’s real. I never bought a wedding ring but I did buy an engagement ring.

Their whole business is a marketing scheme, a very successful one. Diamonds would not be thought of as valuable/romantic today if they didn’t make it so.

Their whole business is a marketing scheme, a very successful one. Diamonds would not be thought of as valuable/romantic today if they didn’t make it so.[/quote]

“Here honey,
let me show my love and devotion to you with a chunck of compressed coal of no intrinsic value, which will nevertheless cost a fortune. Sure this is much better than, say, spending that money for a trip together somewhere during which we could build happy memory to last a lifetime!”

Their whole business is a marketing scheme, a very successful one. Diamonds would not be thought of as valuable/romantic today if they didn’t make it so.[/quote]

“Here honey,
let me show my love and devotion to you with a chunck of compressed coal of no intrinsic value, which will nevertheless cost a fortune. Sure this is much better than, say, spending that money for a trip together somewhere during which we could build happy memory to last a lifetime!”[/quote]

Try this one:

“Here honey, this ring has no diamonds because they have no intrinsic value anyway.” :popcorn:

PS, organizing for my family to visit Taiwan for the first time is a nightmare. I may just decide to skip a formal wedding/reception at this point honestly, and allow my family members to get away with never having set foot on this island. :blush:

[quote=“Novaspes”]“Here honey,
let me show my love and devotion to you with a chunck of compressed coal of no intrinsic value, which will nevertheless cost a fortune. Sure this is much better than, say, spending that money for a trip together somewhere during which we could build happy memory to last a lifetime!”[/quote]

“Here, honey, let’s relocate ourselves to a different place for a week or so, an act which has no intrinsic value, but will nevertheless cost a fortune!”

Diamonds do have intrinsic value, by the way, just not as jewelry.

[quote=“ehophi”][quote=“Novaspes”]“Here honey,

“Here, honey, let’s relocate ourselves to a different place for a week or so, an act which has no intrinsic value, but will nevertheless cost a fortune!”

Diamonds do have intrinsic value, by the way, just not as jewelry.[/quote]

Well. if you consider exposing yourself to new cultures and experiences and doing it wit your significant other valueless, I think we have a fundamental disagreement.

Also,good luck making your money back selling that diamond as anything else than jewelry.

Are you implying a honeymoon has no intrinsic value? That may be true, but few things we do have intrinsic value. I guess I should stop visitng home once a year, too, since I just lose money on plane tickets.

Yeah they’ve been stockpiling diamonds in their vaults for years trying to artificially increase the price of diamonds and they are quite successful at it. If not for them, engagement rings would cost a fraction of the price they currently do.

Personally I think it would be awesome if the whole world just woke up tomorrow and decided that artificially created diamonds are the exact same thing, cost almost nothing, and nobody has to die and no wars have to take place to mine them.

But that’s wishful thinking. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure diamonds will hold their shine in the eyes of woman the world over for many years to come…

Oh by the way, have you checked out bluenile.com ? They have nice stuff for very good prices.

You know, I think there is an expat who deals in jewelry here. I’ve met him once or twice, but I couldn’t give you a name. He’s a New Zealander, though, and the long-time residents here will probably know about him.