Reliability of CPI SM 250

[quote=“sandman”]There’s no garbage in this thread at all, just advice from experts[/quote]Yeah, man. If one is lucky enough to hear from both sulavaca and redwagon in this forum, I’d say that’s the opposite of garbage. It’s top notch feedback from guys who are very, VERY well versed in this field.

It appears that you are a “newbie” on these boards, Audrey. If so… Welcome! Familiarize yourself with their posts and you’ll be thankful that they are posting here. That is, of course, if you are really after getting feedback to find out if the CPI is a machine worth spending your money on or not. I for one am very interested. This is not an information gathering tool, it’s a discussion forum.

marboulette

Yes, it would be very interesting, but that will be an off-topic for this thread. As sulavaca said: “Perhaps you wish to start another CPI thread under repairs?”

[quote=“marboulette”]Yeah, man. If one is lucky enough to hear from both sulavaca and redwagon in this forum, I’d say that’s the opposite of garbage. It’s top notch feedback from guys who are very, VERY well versed in this field.

It appears that you are a “newbie” on these boards, Audrey. If so… Welcome! Familiarize yourself with their posts and you’ll be thankful that they are posting here. That is, of course, if you are really after getting feedback to find out if the CPI is a machine worth spending your money on or not. I for one am very interested. This is not an information gathering tool, it’s a discussion forum.

marboulette[/quote]
That was kind of sarcasm? Or I should seriously interpret your phrase that the discussion forum isn’t an information gathering tool? :smiley:

[quote=“Andrey”]
That was kind of sarcasm? Or I should seriously interpret your phrase that the discussion forum isn’t an information gathering tool? :smiley:[/quote]

If its statistics you want then you really aren’t in the right place as we can’t provide those for you, otherwise you are indeed going to hear a lot of mixed, perhaps anecdotal information which may not be relevant to your inquiry. If I were interested in facts and figures I would be calling CPI myself and asking them about numbers of faults per 100 vehicles and then would be asking about recalls, noted common faults etc.
I don’t think anyone is trying to be disrespectful, sarcasm is part of a discussion however and it doesn’t necessarily mean disrespect.
I think on these boards you’ll only get what’s given and we are limited to what we are able to provide. If we split topics too specifically we will have splintered discussions that may not gell in the way that people prefer to post. I think the key words mentioned were “discussion board”

I’m fine with whichever way you wish to take this thread, start another thread, whichever.

[quote=“Andrey”]
That was kind of sarcasm? Or I should seriously interpret your phrase that the discussion forum isn’t an information gathering tool? :smiley:[/quote]

Not sarcasm at all. You are asking CPIs owners to post info relating to their experiences with the bike while you bitch that people get into a discussion about said experiences. Meanwhile, this forum is primarily intended to be for discussion.

Or, if that doesn’t register with you, let me say this differently. You ask CPIs owners to help you, but when experts help said CPIs owners who contribute to your thread, you shit on them labeling their contribution “garbage” or “impure” and unwanted. Good luck to you and your thread, mate.*

marboulette

*post self-edited prior to any replies to be nice…

You know we can’t have a thread go 3 damn pages without getting into a shit fight over something about this bike.

Makes me wonder what CPI really stands for…Hmm.

1. in all of netdom, it appears that flob has become the #1 source of English language info about the CPI 250

2. lack of netiquette on flob brings swift acerbity

3. the OP thinks he can have his info his way

4. :no-no: (info only available in flob format)

On topic: there’s a reason the CPI 250 is 60% cheaper than a HYKS equivalent: it’s not as well built, but the attraction is that it’s 60% cheaper but only 35% less well built. Exhaustive statistics not available.

already 3 pages and still no comment from “the CPI Defender”, Dogma…hmmm :smiley:

Dogma’s stalker pissed him off so much I don’t think he’ll be bothering to waste his time on the flob any more. Which is a great pity.

Pictures taken with consent.

CPI Right Bearing Before Cleaning. Note corrosion on bearing side surface and dirt.

Its no surprise that these bearings are shot with no protection what so ever other than their own seals.

CPI Left Bearing Before Cleaning

Bearing Size After Wiping

Bearing Type and size: 6004 LUA

What a typical front bearing protection should look like with no cleaning(Source 125cc SYM Wolf) :

Picture Album

Wow…

I was going to say it was forgotten on assembly and missed on final QC, but the hub from the looks of it isn’t even designed to accommodate a boot cover.

On the bright side you could tool a boot cover for just a couple hundred bucks in rubber, and the per piece cost would be negligible, but you’ll have to figure out a way to keep it in place.

If you are riding one, I’d be keeping a very close eye on this component…I have only replaced the front wheel bearings on my RZ once in 19 years.

Wow indeed. While a 6004 is a decent bearing for the application, the dust cover shown there is only that… it is not a seal. Even if the nitrile lip is a contact type, there is no pressure in that contact and water etc. will enter under the tiny amount of pressure. It’s only barely capable of holding most of the grease inside and would leak anything less viscous. This works in a fairly clean industrial environment but would barely get an IP54 rating. For an outdoor automotive application at least IP65 is required.*

I’ve got some ideas for how to deal with that but it’s probably too far off topic for the OP.

I have added two other feedbacks that I have found in the Internet (see 1st post).

Andrey, good links.
I’ve lowered my opinion of CPI build quality in my cost/build quality comparison.

It appears that the CPI 250s aren’t up to the build quality of the CPI scooters. But since CPI do a good job on scooters, I think the build quality of the 250s will improve. Not much comfort for current owners, of course.

I think that has a connection with allocating of CPI’s production facilities at continental China.

The question is when it happens and how long the customer’s trust to CPI brand could exist…

How you imaging this conversation? I think something like this:

sulavaca: Hello, I want to buy a new CPI SM250 and want to know how it’s reliable.
CPI manager: Ok, sir. What do you want to know?
sulavaca: I want to know the number of faults per 100 vehicles and how many you have recalls, noted common faults etc.
CPI manager: Do you really want to this?!
sulavaca: Yes!
CPI manager: Ok, I’ll tell you the truth. We have 99 faults per 100 sold vehicles (the 1 lucky vehicle own Dogma :smiley:). All vehicles that was sold in Taiwan was recalled (the recalling of other vehicles outside the Taiwan is very expensive). We have a few noted common faults: unprotected bearings in front hub, shit in carburettor, unreliable gearbox, some other minor issues…
sulavaca: …
CPI manager: Thank you for your interest to CPI products, hope you make the RIGHT choice.

By the way, how I could find out the telephone number of CPI? Seems that their site cpi-motor.com.tw is not working properly, though as their motorcycle…

[quote=“Andrey”]
By the way, how I could find out the telephone number of CPI? Seems that their site cpi-motor.com.tw is not working properly, though as their motorcycle…[/quote]

With Taiwanese websites written in bad code then if at first you don’t succeed, try, try Internet Explorer!

No.76, Kung Yeh Road, Ta Li City, Taichung County, 412 Taiwan, R.O.C.
TEL:886-4-24913561(Rep) FAX:886-4-24918458
E-mail:pwei@cpi-motor.com.tw

It seems they can’t design websites either! :wink: :laughing:

I’m waiting for the 400cc EFI version, which is totally conjectural on my part, but since I’ve eaten beef noodle in Dali City, this hunch has gotta come true.

I was looking for info about it on the internet and found one post on an english conversation help website. A bloke said he had a cpi and a foreigner asked him about it but he was starstruck and forgot how to speak english. He said he wished he could remember because he would like to share some things about it. Then he described the bike as “a lemon bike”.

I’m going to buy one in 2 weeks because I can’t afford anything better. If the wheel bearings go i’ll use some of the $180,000 I saved by not buying a Jap bike to get new ones.

Whatever the thread is called, we’ll always come down to the same conclusion. Everyone knows the cpi isn’t that good. If we didn’t live in Taiwan none of us would even consider getting one. As things stand it’s cpi or nothing as far as I can see.

A crap bike’s better than no bike.

Why? I live in Ukraine and seriously consider to buy SM250.

Because it’s a low spec bike with questionable reliability from a very small Taiwanese company who most people in the world have never heard of.

When you import a non-Taiwanese bike you have to pay 50% of its value in import tax, then you have to send it off to have the tests for emissions and homologation for road use done. I read on this site a while ago that it takes 7 months and costs $70,000 or something ridiculous, and you aren’t guaranteed a pass. Try doing that with no knowledge of the “system” here or the ability to communicate with the people you are dealing with and it’s a big shit fight you just don’t want to get into.

Look at the price of Japanese or European bikes here compared to in Europe or North America and it’s enough to make you sick.

For example

Kawasaki Ninja 250R
UK price 158,000NTD/3295GBP
Taiwan price 248,000/5166GBP
Ducati 1098S
UK price 1.15mNTD/24,000GBP
Taiwan price 2.5mNTD/52,000GBP

I don’t know the American prices but I do know the bikes are cheaper than the UK there.

So to answer the question, why would no one consider a CPI if we didn’t live here? Because it isn’t very good and we could get a Japanese or European bike elsewhere for a bit more than the CPI, as opposed to an absolute fucking shit load more, here in Taiwan!

Sorry Andrey I missed your point there, you aren’t coming to Taiwan hey?

Put it this way. I don’t know anything about the bike scene in Ukraine but if I could get a 2-3 year old Aprilia, KTM or Kawasaki for a similar money to a new CPI SM250 that is what I would do.

I’ve heard a lot of negative shit about the CPI and as I’ve said before, the foreigners here that have bought them have essentially done so because of the rules, not the merits of the bike.