Religion in Australia: the popular whipping boy

I for one am scared. Fortigun is making me re-examine my spiritual side ( not that it’ll take very long, I’d wager). This god nonsense and its adherents are a bloody interesting subject once you get away from the happy-clappy church side of things. Thanks, Fortigun. I’m serious.

Well, even as a Christian I’m sometimes wary of evangelical types, especially the TV types. Something about trying to get people to pony up money and selling a brand of religion where “paying” leads to financial prosperity that gets under my skin.

Not so sure the Apostles would be so keen on it all.

Serious or not, I’ll take that at face value. Thanks.

[quote=“bismarck”]Well, even as a Christian I’m sometimes wary of evangelical types, especially the TV types. Something about trying to get people to pony up money and selling a brand of religion where “paying” leads to financial prosperity that gets under my skin.

Not so sure the Apostles would be so keen on it all.[/quote]

One not knows what the apostles may have bought and sold had the TV rights to a good crucifiction and resurrection been available live on Reality TV… would have been a good competitor to American Idol :smiley:

What a treasure. Insights aside, I’m laughing so hard i’m seeing spots over here. You must be doing something right over there anyway.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Fortigurn”]

Given Safran’s personal background, it’s partly a personal voyage of exploration, but aside from the actual humour of the situations he contrives, it provides some very worthwhile insights.
[/quote]

What a treasure. Insights aside, I’m laughing so hard I’m seeing spots over here. You must be doing something right over there anyway.[/quote]

Safran represents all that is good about Australian culture. Unfortunately it doesn’t cohere this well very frequently. I’m sure his Jewish ancestry helped.