Religion throughout history

Hi all,

The role and development of religion throughout history is a subject that has fascinated me. I have studied it some, but not as much as I would like. I want to start a discussion on that topic in a forum such as this to benefit from the knowledge of so many people from different parts of the world. To get it going, I’ve used pieces of past discussions. Please contribute what you can to this important, engaging, enlightening, and certainly currently-relevant topic.

A few years ago, I did some independent research into comparative religions. Most religions follow a similar developmental path through time, although they are not all at the same place on that “path” at the same time. The route usually begins at animistic, continues through
polytheistic, and often ends up monotheistic. As a religion develops, at some typical point, a priest class is created. In short, most religions, as they develop, end up creating a priest class at some point. As BroonAle said, they can go by the name of priest, pastor, imam. Or minister or monk. In his old comparative religion text entitled “This Believing World,” Lewis Browne made an interesting observation. When many religions are studied over time, especially those whose whole life cycle can be observed, the “beginning of the end” for many religions can be linked to the point in time when the priest class was created. In other words, religions seem to begin their downward slide when priests are added, for the reason that they begin to corrupt any original value the religion had, by introducing a lot of self-serving unnecessary rules and politics.

While I do not have that answer (and likely no one knows exactly), I offer something that may help answer it. James Haught (“Holy Horrors”) has estimated that throughout recorded history, over 100 million people have been killed in some type of religiously-motivated conflict. I did some research on this number. While I couldn’t reach it exactly, it did seem plausable, all things considered. Additionally, this number does not take into account individual incidents of hate crimes, nor the countless acts of discrimination linked to religion every day in every country on the planet.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that. But, I would say that your argument, based solely on the numbers of participants, is insufficient. At some point in history, a significant percentage of people was sure that the world was flat? While some learned men knew better, they did not constitute
the majority. Was there any link between that majority opinion and the actual fact? No.

Of course they don’t feel that their own beliefs are dogmatic or empty. Why chastise? I’d say criticize. Why? Because their activities are often divisive by nature and harmful. Sure, some good comes from organized religion, but much damage does also. It would seem prudent that all people should see it as their responsibility to reduce human suffering, regardless of the label on the source.

As to the death and destruction mentioned above, it is interesting to note by way of comparison that, in all American wars total from the Revolutionary War up through the Gulf War, just over one million Americans were killed ( infoplease.com/ipa/A0004615.html ). Surely, this is not an “apples to apples” comparison. However, it is still staggering to me to think that religious conflict has killed 100 times more people that all of the U.S. wars have within my own country.

[quote=“MikeN”]Commies, yes; Nazis, no.

• meaning that Nazis did not try to eliminate religion. Many Nazis were sincere believers in “positive Christianity” , including the belief that Jesus was an Aryan; others wanted to replace Christianity with their own
    mystical mish-mash of pagan/race/fuehrer worship. Nazi ideology explicitly rejected atheism and naturalism .[/quote]
    It may not be completely accurate to separate Nazi motivation from religious motivation in terms of culpability for deaths. I thought the quotation below was telling:

“And so I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty creator. In standing guard against the Jew I am defending the handiwork of the lord.” - Adolph Hitler

Which the the main reason that many will argue to defend it. It would not be in their perceived benefit to find any facts that might refute what they prefer to believe. I am not religious (although I was raised that way). However, I don’t like the fact that I’m not. Yeah, that’s what I said. I don’t like it. It would be much, much easier to be religious in this world. Unfortunately, if I am to honestly base my beliefs on discernable facts, to the best of my knowledge, they don’t justify being religious.

Not to discount personal choice, but two obvious reasons for that are 1) it was popular (which normally attracts the majority), and 2) throughout much of recorded history, it was socially or physically lethal to be an “unbeliever,” and so a simple interest in self-preservation would make
nearly anyone claim to be religious.

Maybe. It has been my personal experience that, among those with any significant exposure, those people who were the least dogmatic and even atheistic were the most enlightened and well-read.

[quote=“fred smith”]Anyway, I think that it is a bit desperate of those who claim to have such scorn for religions. Generally, talking to such people, you find that they do not have very well articulated moral concepts or precepts and that their personal lives tend to be a bit
unarticulated in terms of what they believe in and how they govern their lives as well.[/quote]
That may be. Try being raised religious within a religious society within a religious world. Then, over time, come to learn and experience things that compel you to become non-religious. Whether the religion was real or otherwise, this is the equivalent of having one’s entire foundation for life removed. This then leaves one in a position of either trying to swim against a formidable social current or clingling to a rock looking for way out of the river. Give that a try and see if you are less able to articulate the precepts that you’ll use to govern your life. Espousing beliefs is certainly easier when someone else writes them all and shows you which words to memorize and say.

Exactly … in the same way that those people who go to church regularly and claim moral superiority don’t have to be believed.

[quote=“Rubicon Bojador”]Half the population posess below average intelligence. Religion is necessary to coerce the lower classes into obeying some form of moral and ethical system. Without it, they fall into the empty chaos of nihilism. Look at the “ethics” of the general population in the former Soviet republics, with their insane rates of
alcoholism (which is serious enough to actually statistically lower the life expectancy on the international charts!), abandoned children, half the men in the Mafia and half the women whoring themselves on
russianbrideslookingforamerinskipassport.com . Religion may
seem silly to those of us with a bit of higher intelligence, but for the great unwashed masses, it’s all they can understand. Hell, I can barely understand the slightest parsec of quantum physics, do you think some
barely educated grunt with an IQ of 80 is going to wrap his mind around the Big Bang and evolution? Marx was famously misinterpreted when he said that religion was the opium of the people; he didn’t mean that in a negative sense - he meant that religion was a balm and comfort in a cold,
cruel, bizarre, and seemingly illogical world. It offers easy answers for people who can’t understand much more. Which, as much as some here would like to be in denial about, encompasses more, much more, of the population than the intelligentsia.[/quote]
Well said even if unpopular. In addition, religion fills one of the deepest needs of human beings – to belong. As a species, we seem compelled to affiliate. Ford or Chevy, Manchester United or the Bolton Wanderers, Windows or Mac, Christian or Muslim. We also desperately want the world to make sense and seek some explanation that helps, even if the explanation isn’t very good. It is precisely those understandable, but salmon-like urges which largely explain the drive to join religions even among those with IQs much higher than 80.

Seeker4

Wow, Seeker4, you really put a lot of work into redirecting the previous thread towards a more constructive direction.

I will comment on just a couple of your points:

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that. But, I would say that your argument, based solely on the numbers of participants, is insufficient. At some point in history, a significant percentage of people was sure that the world was flat? While some learned men knew better, they did not constitute
the majority. Was there any link between that majority opinion and the actual fact? No.[/quote]

I think this is a poor analogy, it is confusing ignorance with lack of intelligence (as comrade stalin pointed out in the previous thread.) Even most of those among us with naturally high intelligence would not think the world is round if it were not the accepted paradigm. The people of the past did not have the benifit of pictures of the world from space, or even the use of basic scientific principles for that matter. We accept the fact that the world is round because it is taught to us, not because we figure it out by ourselves using our extraordinary intelligence. Science as religion (or at least as a provider of answers) has replaced some of the roles traditional religion has played in the past, but I think it is arrogant to think it has answered them all (give modern physics a few hundred years and it may be a different story.)

[quote=“seeker4”] I’d say criticize. Why? Because their activities are often divisive by nature and harmful. Sure, some good comes from organized religion, but much damage does also.
Seeker4[/quote]

I agree. BUT we need to be careful not throw out the bady with the bathwater. The thing to do is to make sure that the activities of religions that are “divisive by nature and harmful” are made illegal by the secular goverments of the world, and that the laws are enforced. Secular is the key word here. There needs to be a complete seperation of church and state in order for the laws to not be affected by the influence of one religion or another. Religious freedom is fundamental to true democracy, but this freedom cannot overide other rights, such as the right not to be harmed by others beliefs and actions. If the governments and citizens of the world did a better job at enforcing laws that protect peoples rights, and in keeping the church and state seperate, “the good the comes from organized religion” can continue.

I will close by saying that I fear that many places in the world are moving in the opposite direction (i.e. they are not keeping the govt and religion serperate.) This is definately true in my home country (USA) where many of those in power want to mix the two (school prayer, ten commandments in court, etc, etc,). :noway: [/quote]

Is this going to be your starting point? That religious people are salmon that can be manipulated into performng atrocities? Yawn…didn’t we just do that in the other thread?

The end of your post says that maybe people follow a religion because they need to belong. Yes, that is part of it. But maybe it is more about faith and a desire to grown as a person, to understand that one cannot possibly understand the hows or whats or whys in the universe.

The quote I posted before was not mine, it belongs to Joseph Campbell: God is metaphor for a mystery that absolutely transcends all human categories of thought. We strive to know, but we know that we can never know. But that’s ok. We can accept this reality. It is good. Because the striving does make us better people.

War happened before religion,when it was called survival; the homosapiens and cromagnons were vicious to each other when they met.

And I would imagine that the smarter people who realized it at the beginning of the civilization, and certainly before the printing press, knew that religion was the new power. They are responsible for feeding the base desires of the ignorant and absolving them of guilt at the same time. So who is worse, the ignorant masses, or the not so ignorant rulers atop the church?

The very same thing is happening in Africa today, where Muslims and Christians are warring, but who’s in charge? Some regional dickheads who think nothing of religion except that it is a tool to get them power.

So, please. may we separate religion and the abuse of religion by unscrupulous people at the beginning of this thread?

Seeker4 -
This looks like it may be an interesting thread. I hope it doesn’t dgenerate into a flame game…lol.
I think this thread may cover a great number of areas, i.e, theory, philosophy, political, etc.
To open discussion on just one area, you comment:[quote]While I do not have that answer (and likely no one knows exactly), I offer something that may help answer it. James Haught (“Holy Horrors”) has estimated that throughout recorded history, over 100 million people have been killed in some type of religiously-motivated conflict. I did some research on this number. While I couldn’t reach it exactly, it did seem plausable, all things considered. Additionally, this number does not take into account individual incidents of hate crimes, nor the countless acts of discrimination linked to religion every day in every country on the planet. [/quote] and later[quote]As to the death and destruction mentioned above, it is interesting to note by way of comparison that, in all American wars total from the Revolutionary War up through the Gulf War, just over one million Americans were killed ( infoplease.com/ipa/A0004615.html ). Surely, this is not an “apples to apples” comparison. However, it is still staggering to me to think that religious conflict has killed 100 times more people that all of the U.S. wars have within my own country. [/quote]
Here are some figures from a gentleman who has published extensively in this are.
hawaii.edu/powerkills/WARS.GIF
hawaii.edu/powerkills/PRE-20TH.GIF
hawaii.edu/powerkills/DBG.TAB1.2.1.GIF
hawaii.edu/powerkills/DBG.TAB11.1.1.GIF
A most fascinating professor at the Univ of Hawaii, Dr. R.J. Rummel. Some charts from his website - hawaii.edu/powerkills/welcome.html
It is a very extensive sight.

His stance is the research shows that the number of people killed by Governments through history fsar exceeds those killed in “religious” contexts.
Pretty good arguments he presents. His website is very extensive.

Great post TC… you may have “killed” this thread… :wink:

too much too fast?..
info overload…I hate it when that happens.

Tainan Cowboy,

I certainly appreciate a factual post. That said, the charts that you posted all seem to apply to “democide”. The thread was on the topic of people killed by religious conflict. While I did see some mention of a few well-known religious conflicts, such as the Thirty-Years War, in general the charts don’t seem to be on topic.

Did I overlook something?

Also, I think the charts in your first post have caused the entire thread to be elongated horizontally so that viewers/posters have to scroll back and forth to read every line. Can you please edit your post to make it fit within the normal page width?

Thanks,

Seeker4

Seeker4 -
As I mentioned, I was commenting on one specific area of the numerous topics you raised.
The website has indepth comments on the number of people killed in ‘religious’ conflicts vs. governmental conflicts as well as the different types of governments involved. Thats pretty much the theme of his work. His conclusions support that far more people have died as a result of governmental acts than by so-called ‘religious’ acts/wars. This debunks tha oft repeated axiom that “Religion has killed more people than all wars.”
Re: the charts “elongating the thread.”…LOL…when I posted it all 4 charts fit on one line. Check to see if your page is expanded to full size.
Scrolling is low-impact anyway.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Seeker4 -
As I mentioned, I was commenting on one specific area of the numerous topics you raised. The website has indepth comments on the number of people killed in ‘religious’ conflicts vs. governmental conflicts as well as the different types of governments involved. Thats pretty much the theme of his work. His conclusions support that far more people have died as a result of governmental acts than by so-called ‘religious’ acts/wars. This debunks tha oft repeated axiom that “Religion has killed more people than all wars.”[/quote]
I think you misunderstood my original post. I didn’t claim that “religion has killed more people than all wars” or anything similar. I believe that the opposite is true (but mixed governmental/religious conflict muddies the waters). I also said that it wasn’t a fair direct comparison.

This was my basic point on that specific issue: Due to the very nature of religion, of any type, no deaths should be attributable to religion. None. To have even one death caused by religion is an oxymoron (a very stupid bovine). On the other hand, standard wars always kill people. In a manner of speaking, that is what war is designed to do. So, wars killing people is not oxymoronic. All of that said, I thought is was an interesting comparison that religious conflict has produced 100 times more dead people the world over than all wars of the United States has produced dead Americans. The thing that shouldn’t kill anybody has killed more people than the thing that is designed to kill. Not overall, but in that one example.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
Re: the charts “elongating the thread.”…LOL…when I posted it all 4 charts fit on one line. Check to see if your page is expanded to full size.
Scrolling is low-impact anyway.[/quote]
Not sure you understand. Rather than clog up the thread, I’ve PMed you the details on this so that you can make a simple edit to make the whole thread more readable.

Thanks,

Seeker4

[quote=“seeker4”]

This was my basic point on that specific issue: Due to the very nature of religion, of any type, no deaths should be attributable to religion. None. To have even one death caused by religion is an oxymoron (a very stupid bovine). [/quote]

This is true only if you define religion in such a way as to make it true.

Standard dictionary definitions :

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
  2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

There doesn’t seem to be anythiing there that would preclude, say

-the idea that the sun will be blotted out if the hearts of captives aren’t cut out and offered to the gods

-the idea that God has given this land to his people as a Covenant, and that it is acceptable to kill anyone who resists

• the idea that God has commanded that his word be spread among the infidel, and that it is necessary to free them from their slavery to their heathen idols by force so they may partake of the Good News.

• the idea that heretics are spreading lies to lure the Faithful away from the True Path, and that extreme measures must be used to protect the flock from the wiles of the evil-doers.

The problem is that when you talk about religion, you’re referring to a huge set of beliefs, practises, customs, rituals, world-views, that take many forms in many different societies.

You are absolutely right – excellent point.

From that huge theological ball of yarn, I extracted what I considered to be a fairly common thread in most present-day religions – ethical standards for benevolence towards other human beings that exceeds the behavior of the secular world. All major religions that I’m aware of have roughly the same standards in this regard, to include valuing and preserving human life. That considered, the purposeful destruction of human life is antithetical to religion – at least on paper. The kink is introduced when people have to interpret and apply their religious beliefs. I can even understand people killing in spite of their religion. Humans are largely emotional creatures. What I struggle to comprehend is people killing, literally or effectively, in the name of religion.

Seeker4

The problem with “religion” is that at some point it transmogrified from philosophy into ethnicity. I mean, does anybody seriously believe the Irish and English were fighting over Christian dogma, over angels dancing on the heads of pins? Nah, they were fighting over ethnic bullshit. Same with Jews and Muslims today - religion is the last thing either side cares about. Both sides are concerned mostly with racial dominance over the other side. The problems with religions is that they start out as idealist and universalist, but get twisted and corrupted over time into something ugly. God is not a white, Midwestern Protestan American with 2.5 kids, as most Americans seem to believe.