Religious persecution in Taiwan?

I love the Taipei Times:

http://taipeitimes.com/news/2002/07/10/story/0000147686

Neglected wife gets divorce

STAFF WRITER

A Taipei court granted a woman divorce after her husband refused to have sexual intercourse, preferring to study her private parts with a flashlight, a report said yesterday. Despite her husband’s refusal, the Panchiao District Court granted a divorce to the woman, identified only by her surname Sun, the report said. According to the report, Sun and her husband got married 10 years ago and lived happily for two years. “Then her husband changed. He made new friends, converted to a strange religion, refused to have sex with his wife and gave all his earnings to a temple,” the report said. Her husband began a new habit: he would crawl under her quilt at night after she had fallen asleep and shine a flashlight on her vagina to study it, the report said. This lasted for several years and Sun could not stand it any longer, so she filed for divorce.

Apparently when this story first came to LIGHT, there was a huge demand for torches (flashlights) at the various local night markets.

quote:
Originally posted by amos: Apparently when this story first came to LIGHT, there was a huge demand for torches (flashlights) at the various local night markets.

See, this is the danger of British English: torch. Many Taiwanese men actually used torches instead of flashlights in their undercover explorations…with predictable results. I’ve heard that things got a little HAIRY. (rimshot)

What would Freud say about this?

quote:
Originally posted by O'Brian: See, this is the danger of British English

Come again?

quote:
Originally posted by Abracadabra:

Come again?

In Britenglish, torch can mean either flashlight or flaming brand.

In Yankenglish, torch only means flaming brand (or to set something on fire if used as a verb).

Hence, while a spot of muffillumination with an American torch would be pretty dangerous, it could be a religious experience with a flashlight.

I think we should support this country’s bushwatchers – they may be a small group, but they’re very pious.

Adds a whole new meaning to “BROTHER, HAVE YOU SEEN THE LIGHT?”

Yeah thanks but I can speak the language too.

quote:
Originally posted by O'Brian:

See, this is the danger of British English

It’s the “danger” that puzzles me. Maybe I missed the pun or it’s infelicitous,

quote:
Originally posted by Abracadabra: Yeah thanks but I can speak the language too.

It’s the “danger” that puzzles me. Maybe I missed the pun or it’s infelicitous,

My middle f*cking name is DANGER!!@!!!@!!!