Religious transvestites?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]QUESTION NO. 4:

Do you believe that only those who accept Jesus Christ as their savior will go to Heaven, and all others will burn in Hell?

[Don’t local heathens have to believe this rubbish in order to be welcomed into the fold as “true Christians”?][/quote]

And the problem with this belief is…???
What a bargin, if that’s all there is too it, it’s that simple, then why on earth do people reject the offer???
No burning offerings, no trying to earn your way into heaven, no U.F.O’s, - Wow, that simple.
Now, about that Hell part, well, the way you put it does have some problems. What about all those great Jews who died before Jesus came to the planet? There is another guide there - the law.

If I had to make a choice between being judged by the old covenant or the new covenant… hmmm tough choice, I’d select the NEW.

But, it’s a tough choice to make for the proud. You have to admit your failings and turn away from them and make an effort to improve. I think self improvement is something we would all agree is a good thing. However, Taiwanese (Chinese in general) have a tough time admiting to sin because of the chance that it will cause you to lose face.

So,
Question 3: If I told you that there was a God that would love you and accept you unconditionally as a member of his family and give you eternal life could you think of any reason why you would not accept that offer?

Whatever Bassman. I reject your church and its teachings. I reject your god. I will not accept him as my savior. I will not go to church on sunday. I will not follow your doctrine. And I will go to heaven as surely as anyone else. It is arrogant, presumptuous, close-minded and ignorant to believe that crap: only Christians go to heaven. :unamused: I will pray for you Bassman.

You asked the question Mother T. If you don’t like the answer - pull your head in. I never asked you to believe anything, that’s your choice - You asked the questions, I gave my answers. So your profanity is uncalled for. You can keep your prayers, I don’t need yours.

Have a nice day.

MT: How do you reconcile “Whatever Bassman” with “I will pray for you Bassman”?

I think such strong language was uncalled for. How about apologizing for your aggressive overreaction?

There is no need for an apology. I used strong language in order to emphatically make a point. Apparently it worked. Bassman also called my use of profanity improper. I disagree. Profane means outside of the temple, not sacred but common or secular. I think I made it clear that I am outside of Bassman’s temple. Therefore, the language was appropriate.

Why did I wish to make a strong point? Because Bassman nonchalantly stated that members of his social club are the chosen ones and the rest of humanity is doomed to burn in hell. What if he had said that all Black people will burn in hell? Or Chinese people? His statement reflects an arrogant prejudice that I find highly offensive.

He casually stated his superiority over the bulk of humanity, people he doesn’t even know but whom he deems ignorant, unenlightened souls who are doomed to eternal hell. That is why I said that I will pray for him. It is my sincere hope that he will someday see the light and realize that the world consists of a wonderful diversity of races, religions, beliefs and practices, that his narrow view is only one of many, and that other people who haven’t joined his little club have beliefs and practices that are equally valid.

:smiley:

Quote Hartzell

[quote]Do you burn spirit money and incense to honor the dead at any time during the year?
[/quote]

I often laugh at this and think how superstitious. Then I think about the all the customs in Ireland which have been intermingled with christianity.

The first christians in ireland borrowed everything that they saw around them, so much so that the leading monks and missionaries in Europe (which happened to be from Ireland in the 10th century) also wrote books about sea monsters etc. The monks wrote the famous book of kells, gospels of st. John. If you look at the book of kells it’s full of images from the superstitions and mythology of the ancient kells, it’s really a wondrous sight.

Now to more modern traditions adhered to by many roman catholics at home. We have All Saints days which incorporates Halloween. Halloween is the night of the undead in Ireland and the bonfires we burn are to scare away the bad spirits. We also have the fireworks and general mayhem to go with it. There are still many fairy rings (bronze age forts) in fields where God fearing farmers would never disturb the earth!
There is also the legend of the shamrock and the belief that St. Patrick (supposedly the first christian in ireland drove out the snakes as being representatives of the devil). You can also see St Brigid’s Cross which is like a swastika shaped cross , St Brigid was an ancient Celtic deity. My grandmother half believes in the BanShee but she’s being going to church all her life. To many people christianity is a code of life but it doesn’t cover all the parts of our cultures or the richness of our own traditions. Plus there is nothing in the bible that says monsters and fairies and other types of beings don’t exist, as far as I know. My guess is the bible used to contain a lot more of that stuff but it probably got edited out along the way.

This is just Ireland. If you go to any other country in the world local christians will intermingle their customs and beliefs quite happily with the belief of an omnipresent being. I guess if you grow up in this environment it is easier to understand and totally acceptable. Each to their own.

Reasons Why Beer is Better Than Religion

1. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.

2. Beer doesn’t tell you how to have sex.

3. Beer has never caused a major war.

4. They don’t force Beer on minors who can’t think for themselves.

5. When you have a Beer, you don’t knock on people’s doors trying to give it away.

6. Nobody’s ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over his brand of Beer.

7. You don’t have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.

8. There are laws saying Beer labels can’t lie to you.

9. You can prove you have a Beer.

10. If you’ve devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you stop.

tobp.com/humor/religion.shtml

Quote Hartzell

[quote]Do you burn spirit money and incense to honor the dead at any time during the year?
[/quote]

I often laugh at this and think how superstitious. Then I think about the all the customs in Ireland which have been intermingled with christianity.

The first christians in ireland borrowed everything that they saw around them, so much so that the leading monks and missionaries in Europe (which happened to be from Ireland in the 10th century) also wrote books about sea monsters etc. The monks wrote the famous book of kells, gospels of st. John. If you look at the book of kells it’s full of images from the superstitions and mythology of the ancient kells, it’s really a wondrous sight.

Now to more modern traditions adhered to by many roman catholics at home. We have All Saints days which incorporates Halloween. Halloween is the night of the undead in Ireland and the bonfires we burn are to scare away the bad spirits. We also have the fireworks and general mayhem to go with it. There are still many fairy rings (bronze age forts) in fields where God fearing farmers would never disturb the earth!
There is also the legend of the shamrock and the belief that St. Patrick (supposedly the first christian in ireland drove out the snakes as being representatives of the devil). You can also see St Brigid’s Cross which is like a swastika shaped cross , St Brigid was an ancient Celtic deity. My grandmother half believes in the BanShee but she’s being going to church all her life. To many people christianity is a code of life but it doesn’t cover all the parts of our cultures or the richness of our own traditions. Plus there is nothing in the bible that says monsters and fairies and other types of beings don’t exist, as far as I know. My guess is the bible used to contain a lot more of that stuff but it probably got edited out along the way.

This is just Ireland. If you go to any other country in the world local christians will intermingle their customs and beliefs quite happily with the belief of an omnipresent being. I guess if you grow up in this environment it is easier to understand and totally acceptable. Each to their own.

Quote Hartzell

[/quote]

MOther T. Does your ignorance know no limit?

I never once stated anything about the rest of humanity being doomed to Hell. I clearly gave 2 covenenant principles, by your current behaviour you are not included in either. If you had spent anytime in serious study of the religions of the world, pro’s and cons, then I would believe that you are qualified to give an opinion.

Your opinion in coming from the venom within baby!

When you are ready to have a discussion like an adult and not that of a 10 year old please continue the discussion.

I am not superior to the rest of humanity and I have never stated that - I am not perfect, just forgiven. I never shoved any religion down your throat - this thread set the topic and gave the questions. You obviously have a superficial understanding about Christianity and are far less open minded than I. I research, studied and remain open to other opinions about religion. That is opinions that are not given in attack mode. Pull in your claws Mother T.

2: I am not a “Bible Basher” - you can ask the people who know me from this forum. I have never brought up the topic or given any pressure to conform to my beliefs.

3: By believing what I believe I hurt no one. If I die and I am wrong I have lost nothing, if I die and I am correct then I have gained everything.

4: Believe whatever you want - I don’t believe that you are condemned to Hell - that’s not for me to judge.

5: Your use of profanity is not any more acceptable in the outside world in this circumstance. You have put yourself at gutter level and are showing a certain amount of lack of class and good manners. I am sure that you were raised better than that.

6: Before you answer this post think clearly how your post will show exactly what kind of person that you are. I accept your right to an opinion and accept you as a person, but I will not accept your present behaviour but since you are behaving like a child perhaps I should just ignore you.

7: I believe that the mods. would agree that when you sign up for Segue you agree not to engage in personal attacks on other members, which you are clearly doing. I on the other hand have the right to defend myself from your accusations as you made them publicly.

Telling a poster to fuck off for just for expressing his opinion is out of line in my opinion and I imagine the mods would be in agreement.

Otherwise, debates just turn into stupid flame wars full of foul language.

From Bassman: [quote]Question 3: If I told you that there was a God that would love you and accept you unconditionally as a member of his family and give you eternal life could you think of any reason why you would not accept that offer?[/quote]

I can think of four, just off the top of my head:

1. I don’t believe you.
  2. Why would I want to be a member of a family, none of whom I know?
  3. Why would I want eternal life?
  4. Spiny Norman is a 16-tentacled monster covered in prickles who devours the souls of believers when they arrive at the pearly gates.

Of course, if they have unlimited free beer and whisky up there, all bets are off.

Bassman,

If your above posts were written by the evil alter-ego who swiped your computer than I apologize for coming down hard on you.

But if you wrote them yourself, then I will pray for you. When I asked whether all non-Christians will burn in Hell, you replied, “And the problem with this belief is…???” indicating your concurrence. So I will pray that some day you will be enlightened and recognize that your path is not the only true path and others have beliefs that are equally valid, including the belief that there is no god and when we die we become worm food.

And, out of the kindness of my heart, I’ll throw in a prayer for Spack.

Praise Allah.

[quote]Telling a poster to fuck off for just for expressing his opinion is out of line in my opinion and I imagine the mods would be in agreement.
[/quote]

This one is in agreement. MT, personally directed profanities like yours are not on. If you’d said something like “Fuck those ideas” that might have been acceptable, depending on the moderator, but not name-calling, etc. You know the rules.

Best thing I’ve read today. Really funny.

[quote=“tigerman”]Reasons Why Beer is Better Than Religion

1. No one will kill you for not drinking Beer.

2. Beer doesn’t tell you how to have sex.

3. Beer has never caused a major war.

4. They don’t force Beer on minors who can’t think for themselves.

5. When you have a Beer, you don’t knock on people’s doors trying to give it away.

6. Nobody’s ever been burned at the stake, hanged, or tortured over his brand of Beer.

7. You don’t have to wait 2000+ years for a second Beer.

8. There are laws saying Beer labels can’t lie to you.

9. You can prove you have a Beer.

10. If you’ve devoted your life to Beer, there are groups to help you stop.

tobp.com/humor/religion.shtml[/quote]

About the beer and whiskey mentioned below - yeah , all you can drink and you never get drunk and look like a fool in front of ya mates and your wife isn’t nagging at ya to come home. Quite a paradise.

I can think of four, just off the top of my head:

1. I don’t believe you.
  2. Why would I want to be a member of a family, none of whom I know?
  3. Why would I want eternal life?
  4. Spiny Norman is a 16-tentacled monster covered in prickles who devours the souls of believers when they arrive at the pearly gates.

Of course, if they have unlimited free beer and whisky up there, all bets are off.[/quote]

OK, Sandman, I will abide by that rule in the future, although I don’t agree completely with the underlying rationale. The words “f*ck you” are so commonly used today that they are no longer a personal insult so much as a generic, garden variety way of stating, “I emphatically disagree,” except that they are stronger and more concise. On the other hand, I have seen numerous personal attacks on this forum, including by moderators, that are far more vicious and personal, and in my mind far more offensive. But, if that’s one of the rules I’ll abide by it.

Hey Tigerman,

Can we talk about conversion to the religion of Beer at T’Day dinner? By far the best organized form of religion I can think of :wink:

MT,

Have to say I am with the crowd on this one. You really should apologize to Bassman.

I agree with you that all religions have a place in the world, but if that is the case, then we should be tolerant of the Christians, who believe you must confess your sins to Christ to enter heaven, as well as the Islamic fundementalists who belive that to die in a Jihad is a ticket to “heaven”.

I think the Beatles said it best… All we need is love!

[quote=“Kristy”]Hey Tigerman,

Can we talk about conversion to the religion of Beer at T’Day dinner? By far the best organized form of religion I can think of ;-)[/quote]

Kristy,

We’re not just going to talk conversion… we’re way past that stage… we’ll be practicing the religion of beer!

And Kristy,

Be assured,…

whenever two or more people gather in its name, beer shall be present among them…