Remember the 80s in Taiwan?

I actually remember that fruit bat lol Near the dumpling shops[/quote]

He was a big mother effer! I used to watch him eat apples after school.[/quote]
lol I wonder what happened to it! I cannot even remember when that shop was closed down probably when they ripped down all those old building to make those parks. I used to eat soya bean milk near there after partying in Buffalo Town.

[quote=“anotherlaowai”]Anyone else remember Igor and Natasha from Buffalo Town?
they were both 6’ tall, which even for a bloke was pretty unusual back in the 80s.
Igor looked a bit Igor-ish - he had braces and a very ugly Japanese-looking face,
whereas Natasha was a really striking beauty.
I think she later married a Laowai,
and Igor later was a cook at the Bushiban pub,
which was recently demolished to make way for yet another hugely pricey condo block down by Gong Guan.[/quote]
Can’t remember them. I remember some very tall guy with a pony tail that used to dance in there almost every night.
I dont think I went to Bushiban unless it was that one near to where the Tai Da stop is now next to a footbridge on Roosevelt Road then I went maybe once or twice. I went to “ACDC” “Top” “Spin” and then “Roxy 2” more in those days after Buffalo Town closed (and Night Owl for a while where very bad things happened). I was a friend of Michael and CIndy who were both well known in those days. Cindy died in the bath after coming down from meth on sleeping pills and Michael commited suicide in Korea with anti depressents some years later. I then left Taiwan for over a decade before coming back.

the foxbat was cool and very cute and also tame. I remember the owner gave me some small pieces of fruit to give him and he would come over and take it gently from me and eat it upside down. Very cool. Im sure they took him with them and he probably lived out his days. HE was a member of their family.

well loved.

was bushiban pub the one that looked like the inside of a wooden ship? I went there a few times in the late 90s and it was cool. Thats where I came acquainted with NewCAstle brown ale. It was on sale there. Id not had that before then.

I think I remember Igor, he cooked at Fubar for a while

Wasnt Buffalo Town on the 10th floor of a building on the corner of LinshenN.Rd and Nanking E.Rd?

If so on the 2nd floor of that same building was one of my fav restaurants. Great meals at reasonable prices. It later became a MCdONALDS (UGH).

Used to be a great place with live music (called the Emporer Restaurant) and it had a club like atmosphere, pretty girls in see through sarongs :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember The Ark, a pub/restaurant on Zhongxiao close to Dunhua. Its exterior was adorned with big pirate faces.

Never went in.

[quote=“ceevee369”] :astonished: We talking 1980’s or 1780’s here?
What do you mean with that ? Was that kind of an attraction those days?[/quote]

Early to mid 1980s. Snake ally was a red light district. Lots of those girls were really young, and sold into that life to pay their fathers’ gambling debts. I used to know some little nuns out in Taishan who would rescue such poor girls.

Remember all those illegal KTV places out in between Xinzhuang and Taishan… like cardboard buildings decorated with neon lights… As Chris mentioned, all the girls riding side-saddle on the backs of their boyfriends’/husbands’ scooters… so many young girls/women with skinned knees and legs from falling off the bikes…

I knew of B-Town, but, not being into that music, never went there.

The changes have been good, for the most part.

[quote=“Chris”]I remember The Ark, a pub/restaurant on Zhongxiao close to Dunhua. Its exterior was adorned with big pirate faces.

Never went in.[/quote]

There was one in Ximending, too, if I remember correctly.

That whole area was strange. It was an old nationalists soldiers’ squatter village on top of an old Japanese cemetery. There were all kinds of strange animals in cages or on chains there. But, there were a couple of good dumpling places there.

[quote=“anotherlaowai”]Anyone else remember Igor and Natasha from Buffalo Town?
they were both 6’ tall, which even for a bloke was pretty unusual back in the 80s.
Igor looked a bit Igor-ish - he had braces and a very ugly Japanese-looking face,
whereas Natasha was a really striking beauty.
I think she later married a Laowai,
and Igor later was a cook at the buxiban pub,
which was recently demolished to make way for yet another hugely pricey condo block down by Gongguan.[/quote]

I dated Natasha for a little while (before her name was Natasha). I don’t think she was quite 6 ft. tall though (except maybe in heels). She was indeed a striking beauty. I kept in touch with her for a while, but it’s going on two decades now since I last heard from, or about, her. And of course I knew Igor. He used to hang around a group house I lived in. He cooked at a few places, the last one I remember being in one of the lanes around where the Speakeasy is now. No idea where he ended up either.

[quote=“tommy525”]Wasnt Buffalo Town on the 10th floor of a building on the corner of LinshenN.Rd and Nanking E.Rd?

[/quote]

Nope, it was up a few doors from Changchun, east side

oh, then what was the dance club on the tenth floor of the building that now houses a McDonald on teh second floor (the same McDonald that had a bomb go off and kill a policeman IIRC) ?

Can’t remember that one!

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Chris”]I remember The Ark, a pub/restaurant on Zhongxiao close to Dunhua. Its exterior was adorned with big pirate faces.

Never went in.[/quote]

There was one in Ximending, too, if I remember correctly.[/quote]

I remember those. Was the food any good?
I also remember: Dairy Queen, bus token cards the drivers punched, Ceres juice, sidewalk tile puddle bombs, the UFO at Kiss disco, incredibly disappointing and poorly planned 4th of July celebrations (I don’t care how much they spent on fireworks, still boring), smoking was allowed everywhere, the gift shops at the Asia World hotel that sold counterfeit stuff and the San Francisco night market next door, the FM Station department store, Bang magazine.

Non-air-conditioned city buses (the standard) that cost NT$8 a ride. The air-con buses, which ran a few routes, cost NT$10.

Wendy’s - the dodgy visa extension service. I actually took Chinese classes there!

Yuanhuan, in all its old grimy glory!

[quote=“Chris”]Non-air-conditioned city buses (the standard) that cost NT$8 a ride. The air-con buses, which ran a few routes, cost NT$10.

Wendy’s - the dodgy visa extension service. I actually took Chinese classes there!

Yuanhuan, in all its old grimy glory![/quote]
Yeah i took classes at Wendy’s for two days and then could not be bothered to continue; I got the visa anyway.

Yes they have. Totally agree except for me getting old of course. Things are a lot better now and there has been in my view been a drastic general reduction in suffering, “animal”, environmental and human (there was more money around then of course but quality of life is way better now in my view)

It was probably a lot more fun then, but mainly because it was just one step up from the third world.
The countryside would have been better off environmentally then, but the cities would have been worse.

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Chris”]I remember The Ark, a pub/restaurant on Zhongxiao close to Dunhua. Its exterior was adorned with big pirate faces.

Never went in.[/quote]

There was one in Ximending, too, if I remember correctly.[/quote]

Gosh, I have no idea. I only drank Taiwan Beer… brown bottle/original there. Remember, that’s all there was.

Loving this thread!

I remember when kfc and mcd first opened up.

The mai4 dang1 le4 ( as opposed to mai4 dang1 lao2 mcdonald’s) by main station.