Remembering The Gipper

[quote]
You’re absolutely right, Richard. I’ve never thought to credit Reagan with the return of fine quality brewing in the US.[/quote][/quote]

How is the proliferation of microbrews attributed, in part, to Reagan policies? other than priming the pump economics.

or perhaps you refer to the trickle down from my rich ass to you poor schmucks concept.[/quote]

Reagan brought back the American “can do” spirit that inspired so many microbrewers.

I don’t know… but if its OK to blame a Prez for the bad things that happen on his watch, it ought to be OK to credit him with the good things that happened on his watch… :wink:

[quote]
You’re absolutely right, Richard. I’ve never thought to credit Reagan with the return of fine quality brewing in the US.[/quote][/quote]

How is the proliferation of microbrews attributed, in part, to Reagan policies? other than priming the pump economics.

or perhaps you refer to the trickle down from my rich ass to you poor schmucks concept.[/quote]

Reagan brought back the American “can do” spirit that inspired so many microbrewers.

I don’t know… but if its OK to blame a Prez for the bad things that happen on his watch, it ought to be OK to credit him with the good things that happened on his watch… :wink:[/quote]

I’ll agree with you there. He is credited with his sunshine in america hope/spirit. i never said he was 100% worthless. you just inferred that. :wink:

Gosh Richardm:

It’s only Monday and I have believe it or not forced both you and Butcher Boy to express that you are shocked! Well, let’s see what a little effort on my part can do to achieve a widespread shock factor. hee hee hee

I’d forgotten about your lifestyle choice. You can change, Jack, I know you can. I believe in you. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Jack Burton”]honestly, because I don’t know enough one way or another. I figure you old people were actually were old enough to vote or not vote for this guy are better situated to voice an opinion.

and secondly, you must be old since you didn’t read further down my posts and check out the googolized articles/excerpt I dug up in support of the fact of a hoax, but tried to explain the context or reasoning behind such a ploy. :wink:[/quote]
I did in fact read the rest of your post, but nowhere in it did you show any evidence that Reagan said any such thing. You impugned his staff, but not Reagan. If the quote doesn’t fit, you must acquit. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“MaPoDurian”][quote=“Jack Burton”]

and secondly, you must be old since you didn’t read further down my posts and check out the googolized articles/excerpt I dug up in support of the fact of a hoax, but tried to explain the context or reasoning behind such a ploy. :wink:[/quote]
I did in fact read the rest of your post, but nowhere in it did you show any evidence that Reagan said any such thing. You impugned his staff, but not Reagan. If the quote doesn’t fit, you must acquit. :p[/quote]

exactly. I never did state Reagan said those words.

I was in a bar last night in Taipei. The TV was playing one of Reagan’s speeches as part of a tribute to his life. I overheard two foreigners (of unknown nationality) speaking: “This love affair with Reagan just shows the sorry state of America.” It reminded me of how much I hear such a statement, not just about statesmen like Regan, but about other American presidents (incidentally Republican ones) like Bush … and even more so about American people in general.

What is the love affair over Reagan? Well, think what you want about Reagan’s intelligence. Think what you want about his policies. Call him an actor. Call him whatever you want, but … Reagan will go down in history for his optimism that has typified the American spirit (the kind of sprit that especially Europeans have a hard time understanding). He had a vision that withstood the fires of so many opponents who attacked and maligned him. He never got down in the mud with them. He was always with a smile. He believed in the American people as the source of their own greatness as opposed to defining greatness as how big the welfare state became. He had his vision, he made his vision clear, and he succeeded at doing it: (1) lowering taxes, (2) building up the military and (3) defeating communism (a.k.a. Soviet Union). Reagan was, by definition, great … a true leader that connected individually with people and gave people confidence, not in their government, but in themselves as individuals and as a nation/culture that would eventually win out in the uncertain times of the Cold War. He was the perfect president for the times.

For those who would think otherwise … Perhaps Al Gore would have made a better president in the 1980s. Perhaps John Kerry would have been a better president. Perhaps Jimmy Carter would have made a better president. Perhaps Clinton? Heck, perhaps Chirac would have made a fine president in the 1980s.

The point is that tough times forge strong and charismatic leaders: Leaders such as Lincoln, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, Churchhill, Thatcher, etc. This is why Clinton was elected in the 1990s. There were no tough times in the 1990s like there were during the Civil War, the Great Depression, WWII, the Cold War, etc. We could afford a president that reflected the good times, the blow jobs and the fancy-free life we thought we had. Now tough times are back with Islomofacism. What leader is going to step up to the plate and demand no less than victory?? Well, it certainly isn’t Chirac. It certainly isn’t the EU. It certainly isn’t the UN. It certainly isn’t Kerry.

We need a strong leader again. Not the same as Reagan, but fitting for the times we are in now. Not one that seeks political conquest or territorial expansion, but one that empowers people through inspiration, clear vision and unwavering principle. One that has optimism and believes in people to rise to the occasion when necessary.

Pinesay:

A lot of what you hear is reflexive anti-Americanism. Sorry Rascal but it is true. Anyway, try to remember that when the Japanese economy was roaring strong, many Americans were bashing Japan left right and center and were getting ready to do the same thing about China.

This anti-Americanism is similar. The fear of the strongest has led to some ridiculously bizarre policies. No where is this more evident than on the left which has left itself morally bereft and bankrupt through the contortions it has put itself through opposing Bush the man despite the confluence of so many of the policies that they hold most near and dear.

When will this antiAmericanism end? Only when we are no longer perceived to be so wildly successful militarily and economically and culturally. It is inevitable that this run of luck with end but then as sort of a consolation prize so will this inveterate hatred of all things American and strong. It is precisely for this reason that Reagan was hated and feared rather than admired among those most jealous of our success. It is precisely why Bush is hated as well and precisely why Carter and Clinton were not and I have little doubt that Kerry will be equally popular among these groups. Has to make you think though if you are planning on voting for Kerry. Why vote for the man that most of the world wants to win because it will make us weaker?

Reagan on his presidential duties while in office: “My aides give me a daily schedule when I wake up and I just follow what they tell me to do throughout the day.”

The great optimist was just a mere puppet of some shadow government run by rich oilmen. He was 70, all the way to 78, while in office, great voice, silver oratory, good heart. But he was just a puppet the entire time. It will come out now that he is dead. Books will start dishing the dirt early next year…

Right Lane 119:

We are all controlled by the Illuminati? shapeshifting lizards? Jews and Zionists? Large corporations? Best not to try to do anything with your life, try to make anything of yourself. It’s all beyond your control. Keep teaching English and drinking beer every night and pissing away all your money. It’s not your fault. Someone else is to blame. Why work hard. THEY will just take it away from you. Quite right. Give up now. There’s no hope.

I even went as far to make the following comment to a liberal buddy of mine: [b]“If Osama bin Laden could vote, it would undoubtedly be for Kerry.”[/b] Of course, this made my friend mad. :fume: He challenged me for “challenging his patriotsim” … although all I had done was make this simple statement. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn’t accuse him of anything. My buddy was angry/guilty simply because of the painful political deck of cards he and most liberals have dealt themselves. :help:

The fact remains: a weak and equivocating leader like Kerry would invite a revitalization of terrorist activity. Plain and simple. Yet, you still have people that deny this. :s A strong leader like Reagan and, yes, Bush will be respected and feared throughout the world, no matter what the contemporary news story is. If you don’t think so, then take the words of Osama bin Laden himself when referring to America’s decline:

Fred, wake up and smell the blarney. Reagan was a good man, just a puppet, that’s all. He even admitted it in that quote above!

Wow! ObL posts on Forumosa? I am impressed.

How do you know? IMO what with his somewhat conservative moral values I would have thought he would prefer Bush.

I think you may be confusing ‘fact’ with ‘opinion’.

You may want to take a look around this forum to see if this statement really rings true.

I think pinesay means “respected” the way a hockey player uses the same word.

That’s good, IMO.

I mean, if our enemies will not love us, I’d hope that they respect and fear us.

[quote=“tigerman”]

I mean, if our enemies will not love us, I’d hope that they respect and fear us.[/quote]

Tigerman, I think that actually our enemies do not fear or respect us at all. We are infidels and this is a war to the death.

I think this is the war to end all wars, and the winner will then define the ‘‘true’’ nature of God. Most likely the Allah people will win. Reagan’s view of God Bless America will be no more.

This is a fight to the death, tigerman, and we have not seen the end of it by a long shot. This is the end of civilization as we know it. Reagan is lucky. He did not have to live to see this ugly shit going down now.

And the big NEXT ATTACK is coming soon. It’s a goddamned pity!

You people are so senile. go play some lawn bowling or something. :laughing:

How do you know? IMO what with his somewhat conservative moral values I would have thought he would prefer Bush.[/quote]

Wow, what a statement. Only two sentences, but packed with juicy fallacies. (1) How do I know? Use common sense. This doesn’t require a thesis on the subject. That’s like asking how do I really know the Pope is Catholic. I guess the Pope could be faking it … (2) Nice: You equate “conservative” and “moral” with Osama bin Laden. I guess since I consider myself “conservative” and one that seeks “morality”, I must be in the same camp as Osama bin Laden. Bush too! (3) Osama bin Laden is a butcher first and an ideologue second. He is one that would prefer to keep his money laundering, drug trade, terrorist camps and other infrastructure intact as much as possible. That will be easier to do under a weak, equivocating presdient and UN that believes in the Rodney King principle of “Can’t we all just get along?”

I think you may be confusing ‘fact’ with ‘opinion’.[/quote]

Another fallacy. Attack something other than the substance of my comment in order to discredit it, instead of addressing it and offering concrete “opinion” of your own.

But if you must have “fact”, then I’ll give it to you. Numerous sociological studdies have been performed that show statistical normality in that people follow strong leaders and people don’t follow weak leaders. Why there had to be studdies on this, I don’t know. Seems like common sense to me, but in today’s age …

You may want to take a look around this forum to see if this statement really rings true.[/quote]

I don’t look to Forumosa as the litmus test for how the world views America, Reagan or Bush. Besides, my comment was in context of enemies, such as Osama bin Laden.

No it isn’t and if you can’t undestand that then I don’t reckon your common sense is up to much. (though I do like your attempts at election politics :wink: )

not quite. I used the ‘somewhat conservative moral values’ which is slightly different. I was thinking about Bush’s stances on gays, deathpenalty, abortion etc, which my ‘common sense’ leads me to have the opinion that OBL might prefer Bush’s ideas than Kerry’s.

:astonished: I doubt it but hey if you feel that way then who am i to disagree?

I think I may have to disagree with this. I think his warped extremist ideology is what makes him into a butcher. But maybe you know of stuff i don’t know about - maybe incidents of terror etc pre his commitment to extremist Islam :wink: .

I like the Bush version… ‘can’t you all just go along and i’ll stay here in Texas and the skip my time anyway’ :smiley:

I think you may be confusing ‘fact’ with ‘opinion’.[/quote]

Another fallacy. Attack something other than the substance of my comment in order to discredit it, instead of addressing it and offering concrete “opinion” of your own.[/quote]

You haven’t shown where what I said was false, hence no fallacy.

Whether the people US people follow the leader will have no impact on the desire or energy of the terrorists. Hence this is pretty much irrelevant to your point.

Bush’s ideas may be, relative to Kerry’s ideas, nearer to OBL’s ideas re those particular matters. However, that doesn’t mean that Bush and OBL are ideologically anywhere near to each other practically.

The fact is, Kerry has stated that he believes the actions taken by the US against terrorism should involve the courts and legal doctrine rather than the military and war doctrine.

That is precisely the way that Clinton regarded the issue of terrorism and it is the reason that Clinton rejected the offer from Sudan to turn OBL over to the US (Clinton was worried about the legality of such a transaction).

As OBL has declared war on the US, Bush believes that the US is should utilize the US military and other available methods to fight the terrorists. Do you think Bush will reject for legal reasons an offer, for example, from the Pakistanis, to turn OBL over to the US?

Who do you think OBL wants to be elected in November? I know what my common sense tells me… :wink:

honestly, I doubt he gives a fuck. He’ll carry on trying do do what he wants to do anyway. I suspect another Bush victory will lead to a greater radicalization of the muslim youth in the west so maybe OBL will have even more cannon fodder, but hey maybe not. I figure you probably place less emphasis on the recruitment angle than i do.

PS OBL just in case you’re out there, how’s about showing a little civility and settling this one for us!