Remote working : Let's live the Dream

I’m going through my periodic ‘I’m leaving Taiwan next year phase’ although there are good reasons it might actually happen this time.

Remote working appeals to me i.e. living somewhere relaxing like a small town and then working online or commuting to office once a week/month, dealing with clients by internet or flying to see them on occasion .

Anybody got any success stories relating to remote work, or feelings around same ?

What kind of jobs/businesses lend themselves to remote working ?

Actually I was kind of a remote worker for years when I lived in Taichung. I didn’t have an office and life was pretty good. I just had to fly around Asia on a fairly regular basis. There were some big drawbacks though as it was hard to make any kind of social network there.

So again

What kind of jobs/businesses lend themselves to remote working ?

2 Likes

I work in software development, which is probably the most remote/outsourced industry there is and it has been like that for quite a while. Lots of digital nomads working from Thailand etc, life is cheaper than Taiwan and internet is just as fast.

I have also met remote lawyers, accountants, tax consultants and online marketers. They often have a website to collect leads and post a lot online for marketing. Lots of people doing niche youtube channels.

Remote work will become bigger for sure, office rent is eating a lot of potential profits.

3 Likes

I recently spent a couple months on a job search, be forewarned, depending, of course, on your line, 99% of all positions advertised as “remote” are actually “remote in the same area code as our Head Office”

2 Likes

That’s a very good point. It’s also understandable. Actually my current setup is similar.

if your job allows, or you find a job for remote working, you get back your freedom to be anywhere at anytime of the year, aside from schooling issues with the children.

in fact, working at home, you’ll see your child(ren) (and wife) a lot more during the week. your child(ren) will benefit immensely and you’ll never regret your decision.

1 Like

Yeah, you haven’t met my wife

6 Likes

This in particular would be amazing. Unfortunately I am very much tied to a geographical region right now. Of course with family that happens to a certain degree but escaping the heat of Taiwan and heading back to Europe in Summer would be awesome (yes that’s when some kind of teaching job is awesome).

Anyway I don’t want to derail my own thread.

True remote working ! More examples please !

The online professional thing is great but you need to be professional first. Online marketing -yes.
YouTube, prob not.
My problem is a lot of them wouldn’t pay much money.
I’m thinking corporate training too although my impression is those guys like to base out of the rich regional cities where their clients are or they can fly in and out easily. And they do spend a lot of time working at the client site rather than their own place.

I’m remote working, just for record’s sake.
No need to go into my job, because it’s kind of niche and takes years of building up experience to go remote.
I cannot emphasize enough on the positive benefits it has for spending much much more time with child(ren) at the stage in their life when it is needed. especially with Internet danger, society problems… can explain things in great detail, because you now have more time, because you (should be)/are more efficient when you remotely work, because you realize your free time is spent with child(ren), etc.

1 Like

I actually spend quite a bit of time with kids cos I don’t need to go into the office all he time. And that is fortunate. And I agree with you its a good thing overall.
I’m just dreaming of the next level of freedom such as living somewhere else for the Summer during kids break. Or if moving permanently not having to be in a massive metro city to make good money.
Also I’m afraid if I move back to Europe to get dragged back into commuting, as you have mentioned it’s a terrible waste of time. Another reason I never entertained moving to Tokyo for work, remote working is not so common there .

yes. exactly.
taking vacations longer than 2 weeks anywhere you like is a huge bonus. you don’t feel like just as you’ve put down suitcases, you have to worry about packing and going back to office.
and to your final point, it’s great to leave a mega-city like Taipei and just go somewhere where everything and everyone are not so rush-rush-rush in a hurry.
time slows down in remote working

1 Like

Like when I lived in Taichung lol.
I don’t like Taipei and most of North Taiwan so much, way too crowded everywhere.

the longer it’s been since I’ve left Taipei, the more I wished I had done it sooner. Such a great world out there in Taiwan outside of Tpe/NewTpe/Keelung/Taoyuan concrete metropolis

3 Likes

Any stock/bonds/currency trading experience?

I work as a technical writer and this line of work lends itself very easily to remote working.

2 Likes

I work in Design, Technical drawings and Print. Everything is done remote and by email. I log into the network in the remotely to access files and the management database.
I also set up print, cut files remotely. The directors like this due to the time difference, they can get a rush job late in the day, and i can have it set up ready so the operators just need to load up the machine and set it going.

The only drawback with my line of work is, if i have a fully rendered print file that will wrap an arena, all set up with splits etc. I can be moving 100GB files back and forth so i need a stable connection that can handle it.

2 Likes

Teaching online does. Its becoming more of a thing. You can develop your own program and/or work for some of the online schools. Many students are from China, and we’re in the same time zone so its convenient.
Find lessons at UDemy to develop your own courses.
Work for VIPKids, , iTutor, HuJiang (adult students only), LikeShuo etc.

3 Likes

A buddy of mine in recent years did a Remote Year; stored all his personal belongings in a pod and hasn’t looked back since. He’s done more traveling than he ever did in the last 2 years than his entire life previously. He’s still working remotely and has been traveling independently since.

I’ve heard the time zones can be difficult to deal with, especially between Taiwan and the US which is a 12-16hr difference. Curious how you guys have dealt with this issue.

1 Like

When there’s no urgency to a project, there’s no impact.
I keep my laptop time preference to Taiwan time, and I tell clients that an urgent project (within 24 hours) is unlikely, unless they catch me at the right time to confirm I can make it.
I also ask them to add me on LINE, because that communication platform is better for urgent requests or double-confirming receipt of an email.

1 Like