Renaissance Club - formally Weekly Brainstorming Sessions

[quote=“brianlkennedy”]How about this Miltown (serious, real request), could you help me find an English speaking teacher of either:
Traditional Yang style taiji
the “wushu” Simplified 24 Posture Yang taiji or
Cheng Man Ching’s short form

thanks, you really are helpful.
take care,
Brian
p.s. good luck with the Brazilian media today[/quote]
That’ll be this Wed. and you’re still in my to-do notebook :wink:. I’ll make it out to that place one of these Sundays. I’ve tried searching the Internet again and again to no avail…

Maybe I should post here about it :ponder: (I’m looking for the Official Cheng Man Ching association information).

How about “Mission Possible” :smiley:

I’m sure that’s taken already though. I like being “original”.

Now that’s what’s called a sourpuss, vibe killer, depressant, a negative person,etc. Umm, I hope youa aren’t coming with that attitude. :wink:[/quote]

Heh, I think that shows you don’t know me, but that’s OK. :sunglasses:

But to be honest, I wouldn’t want to sit around talking for hours about a scheme you’ve hatched that has zero possibility of going anywhere. So, no, I would not want to be part of a Zero Possibility club. But I don’t think that’s what MK has in mind. If you want to relive your lost childhood, I’d suggest Googling for a mutual support I’m OK, You’re OK association.

Knowing MK fairly well, and having had dozens of real-life conversations with him about the crazy ideas that have hatched from our (well, mostly his) craniums, I think I have some idea what he has in mind. Since I have my hands so full right now with real world ideas coming to life, and since most of those are fairly technical and highly specialized, I’m mostly good these days as a sounding board, helping people flesh out and consider the different sides of their ideas. And if you don’t believe that, you can ask the OP himself. :wink:

Now that’s what’s called a sourpuss, vibe killer, depressant, a negative person,etc. Umm, I hope youa aren’t coming with that attitude. :wink:[/quote]

Heh, I think that shows you don’t know me, but that’s OK. :sunglasses:

But to be honest, I wouldn’t want to sit around talking for hours about a scheme you’ve hatched that has zero possibility of going anywhere. So, no, I would not want to be part of a Zero Possibility club. But I don’t think that’s what MK has in mind. If you want to relive your lost childhood, I’d suggest Googling for a mutual support I’m OK, You’re OK association.

Knowing MK fairly well, and having had dozens of real-life conversations with him about the crazy ideas that have hatched from our (well, mostly his) craniums, I think I have some idea what he has in mind. Since I have my hands so full right now with real world ideas coming to life, and since most of those are fairly technical and highly specialized, I’m mostly good these days as a sounding board, helping people flesh out and consider the different sides of their ideas. And if you don’t believe that, you can ask the OP himself. :wink:[/quote]

We’ve meet before, and I still get a ‘sourpuss’ vibe from your comments. I believe that you like to think of yourself as a ‘realist’. But some of the best ideas have come from tossing around a few outlandish ideas. It’s a way to exerise the mind so that it CAN receive the possible.

Sorry I didn’t meet your "feel good " criteria while offering you advice about grad school. I don’t like mind games, so I’m going to stop replying to you and put you on Ignore for a while.

Jefferson, that reeks of immaturity. So we don’t see eye to eye about how to deal with making ideas manifest. Okay, stomp off to your room for a while. And as I recall I was appericative of your advice about grad school, and like I told you in a pm, I thought you were funny. It’s just your posts seemed sour. Now, if you can’t handle that, then, well seems like one would be on eggshells around you.

OK, that’s 4 posts in a row and no ideas. You two owe me at least one GOOD idea now.

You have until the stroke of mid’night.

[quote=“miltownkid”]OK, that’s 4 posts in a row and no ideas. You two owe me at least one GOOD idea now.

You have until the stroke of mid’night.[/quote]

Okay, here’s an idea. We put our ideas in a bowl and pick one. Then we work on helping that person make outlines for their ideas/goals. And then a timeline for making them manifest. We also, pair them up with a ‘sponsor’ that would make them [color=darkred]accountable [/color]for making them happen, as oppose to talking about them. Each meeting we talk about where everyone is at in their stages.

MK - Sunday evening would be cool, although there’s always a possibility of rolling up drunk. I’m all organised to work Monday-Thursday only now, so being avaliable on a Saturday is kind of a pain. Sunday is more do-able, but that’s just me.

AWOL - Plenty going on other than English teaching in this town. I suspect that most people’s motivations for doing this would involve connecting with people to talk about things other than English-teaching.

Jefferson, Nama - there are always reasons why things won’t work. You can focus on them and they usually won’t. Sometimes you can just go ahead and do them regardless of the fact that everyone says they won’t work, and do just fine. Solving problems and overcoming obstacles is what life is all about, so it’s good to be aware of things you may have to deal with in future, but you can’t let your life be ruled by negatives.

Case in point: I wanted to buy a boat and bring it here, but you can’t because you can’t get the necessary permissions. So I didn’t. A friend of mine bought a boat, and started the process of applying to bring it here. Two years later he is now free to operate at will from 19 designated harbours in Taiwan, although theoretically he still can’t because the law doesn’t allow it. They’re changing the laws to catch up with reality. Can do, will do, and anyone wants to say you can’t can just shut up. :raspberry:

I was thinking about a rotating Saturday/Sunday deal. I think I’ll do that (but this week will still be going down on Saturday).

Nice one Nama.

[quote=“Loretta”]
Jefferson, Nama - there are always reasons why things won’t work. You can focus on them and they usually won’t. Sometimes you can just go ahead and do them regardless of the fact that everyone says they won’t work, and do just fine. Solving problems and overcoming obstacles is what life is all about, so it’s good to be aware of things you may have to deal with in future, but you can’t let your life be ruled by negatives.

Case in point: I wanted to buy a boat and bring it here, but you can’t because you can’t get the necessary permissions. So I didn’t. A friend of mine bought a boat, and started the process of applying to bring it here. Two years later he is now free to operate at will from 19 designated harbours in Taiwan, although theoretically he still can’t because the law doesn’t allow it. They’re changing the laws to catch up with reality. Can do, will do, and anyone wants to say you can’t can just shut up. :raspberry:[/quote]

Can I get an AMEN!! That is what I was trying to say. Just because it isn’t possible in the forseeable future, doesn’t mean that you can’t do it. That’s what this club is all about,or at least what I see it as. Life is full of possiblities and my greatest fear is that as I get older, I start buying into that BS that says “i can’t do it because_____”. I want to be put in the ground trying to my last breath!!!

Loretta - my life isn’t ruled by negatives, though I suppose I am a relatively critical person. But critical works both ways, and anyone who knows me well will tell you how much praise I heap on people with good ideas and positive energy, as well as how successful I am putting ideas into practice. But the truth about life is not everyone fits in one of those categories. Also, I don’t sit around conjuring up negative thoughts about others. I channel my creative energy into conceiving and carrying out successful ventures. Just because someone in this thread wants to paint me a certain way, you shouldn’t buy into it, unless you want to, but it’s your tuppence. :wink:

I’ve found the Ignore function an outstanding way of participating on this site without letting a small handful of people sour that experience. Now, that’s all I’ll say about that.

OK, MK, an idea. Right. I think you should come up with a “Miltown Kid’s Personal Webcrib” package for people in Taiwan. You come up with a couple of templates, let a customer choose one, then have them send you the start-up text, images, etc. You put together that bare bones site using the material. Then, you hold a short class for them (in person!!!), teaching them how to use FTP, etc to work on the site themselves.

There’s a one-time “site building” fee, and a one-year hosting contract. You host the site and collect monthly fees.

You advertise the service in your sig line.

The major advantage to this service over others is YOU ARE HERE in Taiwan to meet people FACE TO FACE as they put together a site. No more lame freebie on-line sites that spit pop ups in people’s faces. No more lame servers that crap out every other day and take an hour to load. No more faceless credit card payments to The Man.

There ya go - an idea that’s right up your alley. You’ve put together a site for a couple of businesses. Now start working for the People. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Jefferson”]Loretta - my life isn’t ruled by negatives, though I suppose I am a relatively critical person. But critical works both ways, and anyone who knows me well will tell you how much praise I heap on people with good ideas and positive energy, as well as how successful I am putting ideas into practice. But the truth about life is not everyone fits in one of those categories. Also, I don’t sit around conjuring up negative thoughts about others. I channel my creative energy into conceiving and carrying out successful ventures. Just because someone in this thread wants to paint me a certain way, you shouldn’t buy into it, unless you want to, but it’s your tuppence. :wink:

I’ve found the Ignore function an outstanding way of participating on this site without letting a small handful of people sour that experience. Now, that’s all I’ll say about that.
[/quote]

Forgive me Miltown for this back and forth crap that’s going on between me and jefferson, but I do have to respond. Feel free to dump it where it belongs.
Jefferson, you have posted rather harshly in the past of me. Of my posts and thoughts, and I have responded with grace. I feel as that you fail to see that it isn’t a one way street. You comment that you life isn’t ruled by negatives, yet negate the comment with the following :

[quote]
though I suppose I am a relatively critical person. [/quote] I am sure that you are supportive of what you find is worth supporting and it’s great that you are conquering the world for yourself. But to place someone on your ignore list because they pointed out the obvious and not to play by the same rules you do, reeks of immaturity. Don’t tip tow around it saying “someone in this thread wants to paint me in a certain way”. Just have the balls to say it, and who it is. Besides, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, well I certainly think that it’s a duck. If you have issues with being called on your own negativity, then you need to see that as a sign of being a wake up call.

Bullshit. I’ve defended you in the past on the boards, as recently as a couple of weeks ago. There is no “back and forth” here. There is you peristently attacking me for…why exactly?

Damn. :fume:

Once this crap is sorted out, I will permanently Ignore you, so please don’t address me or PM me again.

Let me ammend that. The Ignore goes into place now, so go ahead and yell more junk at me, because I won’t read it or respond.

[quote=“Jefferson”]Bullshit. I’ve defended you in the past on the boards, as recently as a couple of weeks ago. There is no “back and forth” here. There is you peristently attacking me for…why exactly?

Damn. :fume:

Once this crap is sorted out, I will permanently Ignore you, so please don’t address me or PM me again.

Let me ammend that. The Ignore goes into place now, so go ahead and yell more junk at me, because I won’t read it or respond.[/quote]

If you can’t take the heat, stay out the kitchen… :smiley:

That’s the spirit! :smiley:

[quote=“Jefferson”]OK, MK, an idea. Right. I think you should come up with a “Miltown Kid’s Personal Webcrib” package for people in Taiwan. You come up with a couple of templates, let a customer choose one, then have them send you the start-up text, images, etc. You put together that bare bones site using the material. Then, you hold a short class for them (in person!!!), teaching them how to use FTP, etc to work on the site themselves.

There’s a one-time “site building” fee, and a one-year hosting contract. You host the site and collect monthly fees.

You advertise the service in your sig line.[/quote]
Hey! You stole one of my loosy-goosy ideas and made it look good. I suppose that’s acceptable though. That’s actually pretty close to what I want to do, you wrapped it up really nice.

That’s the spirit! :smiley:
.[/quote]

Life aint no Sweet Valley High, man. I didn’t say that. I stand by what I say.

Miltown;

We talked about a group something like this at Ironman’s b-day but it was more aimed at learning new things or skills from each other and outside “experts” (i.e. computer music, 3-d, film editing, martial arts, etc.). Are you thinking of adding anything like this or is it strictly brainstorming/entrepreneurial in nature?

[quote=“Jefferson”]Loretta - my life isn’t ruled by negatives, though I suppose I am a relatively critical person. But critical works both ways, and anyone who knows me well will tell you how much praise I heap on people with good ideas and positive energy, as well as how successful I am putting ideas into practice. But the truth about life is not everyone fits in one of those categories. Also, I don’t sit around conjuring up negative thoughts about others. I channel my creative energy into conceiving and carrying out successful ventures. Just because someone in this thread wants to paint me a certain way, you shouldn’t buy into it, unless you want to, but it’s your tuppence. :wink:

I’ve found the Ignore function an outstanding way of participating on this site [/quote]

I hate being categorised, and I never use the ignore button. Just because I don’t agree with people that doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t take the time to consider what they have to say.

Speaking personally, I can only say that online you seem to be pretty clear in your own mind what is a good idea and what isn’t, and you go from there to being critical (ie judgemental) of other people pretty damn quickly. I look forward to meeting you in real life to learn the truth, which I would view as taking a positive ‘try it and see’ approach instead of either ignoring you or saying “this idea won’t work because Jefferson will ruin it.” I imagine that with real-time feedback you’re a nice guy, and if you’re friends with Miltownkid then you can’t be half as bad as you sometimes portray yourself online.

I’m not claiming to be any better than you, I know that I have problems with the way I talk to people online too sometimes. But I’m recognising that there is a potential problem there, and hence stating my belief that we need to focus on the positive. Just because I don’t think something is going to be successful doesn’t mean that I should try to dampen someone else’s enthusiasm for it.

Sometimes you have to put a lot of time and energy into something to determine that it’s not going to work. Sometimes you have to have enough experience to know when to pull out of something that isn’t going to work, and garnering that experience is part of life. 9 times out of 10, your great new idea is going to be unfruitful, but that doesn’t make it a waste of time. Only when you have pursued all the possibilities at hand and exhausted all the options can you safely say that it’s time to move on. Pursuing ideas that are not going to take off can lead you to new opportunities you wouldn’t have found otherwise. And whatever the outcome, the process itself can be rewarding. I doubt that anyone is going to be planning to invest their life’s savings into perpetual motion machines, why not kick around bad ideas and see where they lead?

Anyway, I take your point that you’re not ruled by negatives. And it’s good to have differing perspectives on ideas or have people pointing out things you may have neglected to think about. I just happen to prefer looking at all possible outcomes and implications of an idea, instead of just the obvious bad ones.

[quote=“elektronisk”]Miltown;

We talked about a group something like this at Ironman’s b-day but it was more aimed at learning new things or skills from each other and outside “experts” (i.e. computer music, 3-d, film editing, martial arts, etc.). Are you thinking of adding anything like this or is it strictly brainstorming/entrepreneurial in nature?[/quote]
Well, this is my plan (one of so many). I remember that talk and liked that idea and want to get that one going on too. What I figured I’d do to get things moving was have a general meeting once a week while I’m trying to get all these things together.

That was actually my favorite club idea to date (codename “Renaissance Club”).

This is just a formless club for whatever (I spend Saturdays at home brainstorming anyway). It was fun with just the small group of us last weekend. I figure something good will take fruit from this.

My favorite day of the week is from a “random” grouping of people that wantd to play chess.

The formless club for whatever might be a little loose for some people but not for me. :slight_smile: