Renaming the Flounder Forum

How about The Temporary Forum?

That’s so crazy it just might work! :laughing: :bravo:

Still think it’s stupid and pointless.

Oh no, I got Temporary Forumed. Nuh, doesn’t have the same ring. More feeling in the delivery than I can muster may be required.

That may be the point though. It may just stop those flounder complaints.

Either all this or increase the forums by 1 or 2 and just don’t have a temporary forum at all.

Is it a space issue that means things can’t stay around?. Does it change the site speed. Surely storage is not an issue these days.

Space forum.

WTForum?

The Drivel Forum

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“myury”]You could rename the “Flounder Forum” to something that emphasizes the temporary nature rather than the garbage element. It may reduce the amount of complaints of “hey why’d my thread get floundered!?”[/quote]I think this is an excellent idea, and might in fact encourage people to post in that forum when the topic is only of temporary relevance, as I do sometimes.[/quote]I still agree with Myury’s idea and the reasons behind it. That is why perhaps not only the name, but also the forum description, should be changed. Anything that makes it sound less like a corner for naughty schoolboys and more like a multi-purpose temporary forum has to be good IMO.

It is perfectly legitimate to post new topics of temporary relevance in the temporary forum. While it doesn’t embarrass me in the slightest to do so in “Flounder” I believe there are those who would be more likely to use this facility if it were not named thus.

circular file forum

or

flotsam forum

I don’t really care, but here are some suggestions:

The Basement
The Dump
Bubbling Under
The Gurgler
The Pit
The Pond
The Yard
The Beach
Downstairs
Out the back
Underground
In the dark
The Fog
The Mud
The Bog
The Swamp

the shitter…why beat around the bush?

Instinctively, I like Limbo :sunglasses: . Or the Outhouse. Bedpan Alley? :smiley: But the Temporary Forum is probably the most workable neutral option so far.

Doesn’t really matter what you rename it, does it Maoman? People will always still refer to it as the flounder forum. Why bother even considering a name change?

And no matter what it’s called, people will still bitch when their posts get sent there.

That is the key point at the basis of this discussion.

I have a proposal to go in the stack with all my other proposals.

1. If flounder was a name developed on Forumosa then keep it. Its part of the unique nature of the site.

2. What pisses people off is that they have no control over the flounders.

With this in mind I propose another forum for flounders that have survived for 30 days. If a topic can flop around for 30 days then it deserves a life.

Posters can’t complain because their topic was floundered and dissapeared. If it could not last 30 days then nobody wanted to look at it. Tough. Group board decision. It stank. It was boring. Nobody cared. It was for whatever reason ignored. “Time to die” as Rutger Hauer or somebody said in Blade runner.

Condiments thread may be an example of this. That stupid pirates and ninja thread is another.

Forum name? Don’t know.

(As yet another idea slowly sinks into the murky depths)

The purpose of changing the name to something that is not negative is so fewer people will complain. But you seem to think a name change will magically satisfy everyone.

This very discussion is only about trying to make that forum less offensive. And you have a problem even with this - so, people are always going to bitch. No news there.

Hopefully, we still refer to it as floundering, even if we do change the name.

I miss the Blue Sneetches forum :slight_smile:

Hopefully, we still refer to it as floundering, even if we do change the[/quote]
I think that’s unavoidable - floundering has become part of Forumosa culture! :laughing: :slight_smile:

Well, I’d like no posts to be deleted at all — so what about the Flounder and Flame Forum?

No I don’t. In fact, I think the exact opposite - it won’t do shit. Maybe, maybe in the short term it will, but not in the bigger picture.

How is “flounder” offensive or negative? It’s only gained that meaning to a few people because of what it is, not because of what it’s called. No matter what you change it to, it will eventually develop the exact same “offensive” or “negative” connotation simply because it’s still exactly the same thing. The word “flounder” has no inherent negative or offensive qualities - it’s the act of “floundering” that has led to the shittiness toward it by a very small proportion of people. If “floundering” continues to happen under the new name - which I assume it will - the new name will be for absolutely zip.