Reneged on a school in Taiwan after signing a contract -any future problems?

So long story short, I reneged on a teaching contract with a school in Taiwan after I changed my mind, last year. My personal circumstances changed back then. I was (and still am) abroad back then. It was after I signed the contract. However I may consider coming back to Taiwan to teach.

In any case, for the work permit process, they asked me for a new background check (since the one I submitted to that recruiter had expired) as well as clearer scans of my diploma and teaching certificate. At that point, I decided not to go along with the work permit process. So essentially, I cancelled that job in the process that way.

Since I signed the contract but didn’t continue nor proceed with the work permit/visa process, would immigration in Taiwan blacklist me or prevent me from getting another work visa in the future? Or am I free to pursue another teaching job in Taiwan (other then the one I dropped)in the future?

I doubt it, especially since the work permit process wasn’t formally started.

Iiuc you submitted your documents to the school and then backed out - they didn’t submit them to the government yet, right?

If it’s just a signed contract then I really wouldn’t worry about it.

1 Like

To clarify a bit more in detail, I was searching for a teaching job with that recruiter in Taiwan. Prior to getting that offer with them and even signing it, I submitted a scan of my background check , college diploma and teaching certificate to them as part of the process of job searching. By the time I signed the offer, my background check expired. And my recruiter needed a clearer scan of my degree and teaching certificate. So it was at that point, I decided to not continue after signing the contract.

That said, I would highly doubt they would go through the trouble of submitting such incomplete and improper documents (such as my expired background check, unclear scans of my diploma and certificate) to the government. It wouldn’t make sense for immigration/government to accept it anyway.

This is as far as I could tell. Unless I am missing something?

Forget about it, non-issue.

3 Likes

Contracts are civil matters.