Renew arc 10 months before expiry?

Hello, I have been in taiwan for 2.5 years on an marriage arc. My arc expires November, but I plan to return to my home country in June. I will likely only come back maximum once a year for 2 months. I wonder…

1. Someone told me that I able to keep my arc even if I don’t live in taiwan, it’s just I don’t be able to get an aprc, is that true?
  2. Would I be able to renew my arc in June, four months before it expires?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

For the arc, probabtion of 5 years I believe, you can only spend 183 days out of the country maximum per year until probabtion is up. You are going to lose the arc friend.

iirc, you are right. For ARC, there is no restriction on the number of days you stay in taiwan to keep it. You need to renew it for every 3 years.

I think you cannot.

But, for what do you want to keep your ARC? If you are not in Taiwan for more than 183 days, you cannot use the period to get your APRC, and it is easy to regain your marriage based ARC, when you will need it.

Yes, you can keep your ARC based on spouse if you do not live in Taiwan for over 183 days.
That is its benefit over APRC.
Your Taiwanese wife can also file taxes with you as a dependent.

Yes, you can renew ARC earlier. I did it about 4 months earlier. Lady asked why, and I replied I was flying back to home country for a “bit”. I had a plane ticket receipt all ready to show her, but she did not even ask to see it. She just said “ok” and approved it.

1 Like

That’s what I had thought, but my husband says threat is true for aprc, not arc. It is difficult to find info aboutthurs in english on the net.

Thanks for your reply.
So I can come back to taiwan every three years to renew my arc? Is there a time limit to how many times I can renew without living in taiwan?

The reason why I want to keep the arc is because getting it involved a lot of paper work, including flying to hongkong to the taiwanese consulate. I also don’t know if I would come back to taiwan for good.
If I still have an ARC but I’m not in taiwan , would I still have NHI, and if so, how do I pay for it?

Thank you, I had my husband phone the arc office and they said I need to show proof of return to taiwan.

I think there is no limit. As far as you meet the requirements and have right documents to renew the ARC, I think they will renew it.

Q2: Should you change your enrollment status when you stay in another country for some time?
https://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/Content_List.aspx?n=0076C035422E79B1&topn=E84A5021B8B64995

Thanks so much for the information!

How or when did you apply for an ARC with 3 years validity?
I’ve been in Taiwan for 17 months on a spouse visa (marriage ARC) but they always give me 1 year ARC, so I renew yearly.
(Did they gave me a 1-year ARC because my passport validity left was only 2-years? If so, will they give me 3-years ARC on my next renewal with the new passport?)

After your first year on a marriage ARC, you can get a 3 year renewal.

Yes and yes.

1 Like

Thank you. I look forward to my ARC renewal tomorrow. I just received my new passport valid until 2030, so I need to go to NIA to update my ARC (I will also get a new number).
I am hoping that I can get a 3-year ARC tomorrow.