Renewing Driver's License

Just curious what kind of a grace period they give you to renew your driver’s license after it expires?

My driver’s license expires on Nov 17 (same time as my ARC). My ARC is currently being renewed, but I won’t get it back until Nov 19. I then plan to go renew my driver’s license with my new ARC, but the license would have expired for 2 days. Is that a problem?

I worry because I read somewhere that if your driver’s license expires, then you have to go take the test again. Obviously I’m hoping to avoid that.

I’m pretty sure you’ll be fine based on what I’ve heard. I know of one guy whose license was expired for years, and he didn’t have any problem renewing. No need to take the test or anything. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any links supporting this information.

I’ve got to go and get my licences renewed, they’ve both expired cos they were matching my old ARC finish date.
My wife’s take is that ‘I’m pretty sure you’ll be fineD:smiley:, and I suspect she’s probably right.

But I’m certainly not expecting to resit or retake anything. Worst case is a small slap of a few hundred $, on top of the renewal fee.
Wondering how long I’ll get on the renewals, now that I’ve got an APRC with no expiry date. My wife seems to have 9/10 years on hers, which isn’t that long.

Let us know how it turns out.

No fine :thumbsup: (they expired 2 weeks ago), and renewed with no problems. $200 & 1 photo for each license.

Because I’m now APRC, the new ones have no expiry date, so I’m good … like … well, for ever.

Im interested in knowing if regular ARC holders will get a permanent license too?

Yes, you’ll be fine. Just renewed mine under similar circumstances recently. They had been expired for about three weeks. (Was waiting for my APRC). Like Nuit, no problems. Just remember to take photographs with you (one for your car licence and one for your motorbike licence). And, also like Nuit, no expiry date so I don’t have to worry about that one again.

Not sure if regular ARC holders will get permanent licences too. My understanding is that they will only give you a licence for as long as your ARC is valid. Regular ARC’s have time limits so I guess vehicle licences will have too. I could be wrong, though.

I’ll stop by Monday and ask them.

I never bothered to get a tw license due to the whole ARC expiring renewal nonsense, so I have been using my IDL, but if they indeed have changed it to become permanent for everyone, I will definitely take the time to go get it. A lot less hassle if that is the case.

edit: I checked on Google and Taipei times said the change was only for citizens and APRC holders, ARC holders still get a license that expires. They don’t specify when it expires however (1 year or 6 years)

[quote=“dan2006”]I’ll stop by Monday and ask them.

I never bothered to get a tw license due to the whole ARC expiring renewal nonsense, so I have been using my IDL, but if they indeed have changed it to become permanent for everyone, I will definitely take the time to go get it. A lot less hassle if that is the case.[/quote]

Not aware of the ARC expiry rule changing, to be honest.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to renew both my regular car driver’s license and my scooter driver’s license (which expired about 8 years ago!). It would be nice if they had combined them into a single license, rather than having to carry a separate one for car and scooter, but I’m still happy.

The new licenses were renewed for 6 years, even though my ARC is only valid until next year, so there certainly seems to have been some change to that policy, in our favor.

for any Canadians (well BC to be exact) you are not allowed to hold 2 different drivers licenses. they actually took my taiwanese one and told me i cant have two…no problems in Taiwan, but the people here thought it was quite entertaining that my government stole their license (my wording to them, not theirs). Just an FYI to those going back home to BC (other provinces the same?) with their Taiwan license expecting to get their canadian as well.