Renounce Taiwan citizenship problems

Doesn’t matter… you are born in Taiwan and have HHR. You can’t renounce without serving in the military. Permanent resident doesn’t count anyways.

The earliest way you renounce taiwanese citizenship may be doing the two week conscription. You have HHR, so you don’t need to wait for one year.

I thought the 2 week thing is only for those born outside of Taiwan and have dual citizenship. OP states he has permanent residency. That’s not dual citizenship.

Iirc, being a head of a family with dependent kids can be a reason to do the 2 week. Or, it might be a reason for doing alternative service. I’m not sure now.

Hi,

2 weeks? Really? 2 weeks i’m really okay with it!

fyi

家庭因素服補充兵役資格為何?應備證件?何時提出申請?
https://www.gov.taipei/News_Content.aspx?n=EEC70A4186D4C828&sms=87415A8B9CE81B16&s=1C5BBE3BADC96D35

One big reason is conscription is a joke. It’s one thing if they really trained you, but instead you’re left picking up trash on the side of the road for 14 months.

They all take conscripts. You go and draw randomly but the majority of the spots are in the army. It’s suppose to be random, but I got asked if I was interested in being in the marines. Sometimes who are in exceptional shape may be asked if they wanted to join the marines although it’s supposed to be random.

It’s not like prison. You’re in the military, it’s not supposed to be summer camp. You’re there to train to be the most effective killers against your enemies. But the problem is, they don’t actually train you much.

Here, read my experience.

Must be 2 kids under a certain age.

1 Like