Renovating and pregnancy

Same thing happened when my wife was pregnant.

In fact, some government officials were inspecting work done on the road in front of our house and told us that we needed to tear down an awning in front of our house because it was too wide (the previous owner put it up, not us).

My wife just told them she was pregnant (which was obvious) and couldn’t do it because it would anger the gods, so they said never mind but asked us to try and do it after she gave birth.

1 Like

No she stays at home and my mother in law and me take care of her.

It might be better for her to be taken care of while she’s in recovery at least for 1 week.

1 Like

Yes, this type of superstition is widely prevalent in Taiwan and almost all Taiwanese follow it diligently, especially drilling holes and hammering nails when someone is pregnant in the household…This is a definite NO-NO!!! as they believe that by doing so you would be drilling or hammering into her belly and into the unborn child. I didn’t know this until my wife told me about it when she was pregnant and I’ve heard stories since of ppl miscarrying right after they did some “minor” renovations around the house and guess who they (In Laws, wive’s relatives, friends etc) blamed?

1 Like

The old-fashioned way. Well, I guess they’ll just have to deal with the noise of renovation. The baby will probably be fine, little kids need to get used to sleeping in loud environments anyway. Your wife and MIL will probably be more annoyed by it than the baby.

The paint fumes, however, remain a concern…

1 Like

@Fei-Fan If you just want to cover some smudges, maybe find a nice painting or poster to cover them with? Note that will be an 8th hole to drill, but 8 is an auspicious number to Taiwanese anyway. :grin:

1 Like

These superstitions are not only about renovation. When we were waiting our first son, we wanted to move to a larger apartment before the end of the pregnancy.
MIL was against that, saying it wasn’t good for the baby and whatever. Even some real estate agents thought we were just checking, and would move only after the baby was born.
We didn’t mind, moved first and told MIL later. Baby is healthy and full of energy!

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve def heard that you cant even move furniture around when theres a pregnancy in the house. Idk what i would do. I’m constantly moving things around…

1 Like