Renting a car for Chinese New Year

So, all of the trains are full for Chinese new year, and the six of us (four of whom are Taiwanese) are thinking of renting a car (a big one, I guess). The problem, only two of us can drive: myself and one of the Taiwanese. Though I’ve driven for about ten years, I’ve never driven in a foreign country, much less Taiwan. So, I’m wondering if people think it’s really that difficult.

To give you an idea of where we’re thinking of going: Taidong, Kaoshiung, Taichung.

Also, if I have an American licence, can I legally drive a rental car?

[quote=“rmaguir”]So, all of the trains are full for Chinese new year, and the six of us (four of whom are Taiwanese) are thinking of renting a car (a big one, I guess). The problem, only two of us can drive: myself and one of the Taiwanese. Though I’ve driven for about ten years, I’ve never driven in a foreign country, much less Taiwan. So, I’m wondering if people think it’s really that difficult.

To give you an idea of where we’re thinking of going: Taidong, Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong), Taichung.

Also, if I have an American licence, can I legally drive a rental car?[/quote]You say you’ve never driven here before. Does that include scooter/motorbikes? If so, I’d suggest you try to get your Taiwanese friend to do most of the driving, especially in cities.

You can’t use your American license directly. Licenses for some states can be taken to the DMV and used to get a local license. What’s more likely, though, is that you’d need an International Driving Permit/License. There are existing threads on this and I suggest you do a search.

Here are a couple of threads on car rental:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 886#496886
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=49348

I you have never driven in Taiwan, I think Chinese New Year might be the wrong time to start. The traffic can be crazy at time, and for a first-time driver it might create problems.

Renting a car shouldn’t be a problem, but, like joesax said, let your Taiwanese friends drive.

Amen to what they said~ CNY is not really the best time to be driving for the first time in Taiwan. Also be ready for traffic jams.