Renting a car in Taiwan with an International Driver's Permit

I would like to rent a car in Taiwan with an International Driver’s permit and my local US license (I have an ARC). Are there any rules about how long the IDP is valid for in Taiwan? I read someplace that it’s good for one month after entry and then you need to get it validated by the local police (or driver’s license office?) If I’ve been in Taiwan over 1 month, can I still to get it validated? If so where? Does the one month reset whenever you leave and enter Taiwan or if you have an ARC, do you need to still get the IDP validated?

It depends on which country driver’s license you have for how long the IDP is valid, maximum is up to one year or until the IDP expires. Yes you need to apply for IDP drivers permit extension within one month of entering Taiwan. If you re-enter Taiwan you are again able to apply for the IDP permit extension (I have done this) within one month of entry. As an American some states are also able to exchange your US license for a local one, check if this applies to you. Also I have read from unconfirmed sources that officially if you reside in Taiwan longer than 1 year you are by law required to get a local license but I’m not sure if this is really the case or if this is ever enforced.

Better check with local registration office as he is resident here not a visitor. IDL are for visitors not residents.

That is not correct. The DMV attaches a permit to the IDL of a resident alien, this permit allows the holder to continue driving on the IDL. This permit is free of charge.

Hsinhai is correct. I did this every year for 10 years. I was never rejected on the basis that i lived here. I also had a car accident once and the license was accepted.

thanks guys. so next time i leave taiwan i need to get my idl validated within 30 days after returning.

You can often apply for an IDP from abroad. I did that, again, many times.

How much is the ‘one month’ rule enforced, I have a IDP, been there longer than a month,
Also, where should it be registered, local DMV?

tks

I wouldn’t take the chance to find out. Yes go to your lical DMV. It’s very easy.

I know this is an old post.

It’s now 30 days. Then your IDP has to be stamped. Can be used for 12 months. If you get an ARC you are required to get a local license.

https://www.ait.org.tw/driving-in-taiwan/