Repercussion for not paying NHI?

I am getting sick of NHI payments… it charges you regardless of your financial situation, whether you’re really rich or you’re on your last dime and can’t pay the bill… needless to say I feel like I am paying every month for absolutely nothing and it would have been cheaper if I just showed up without insurance and paid full price, because I don’t go to the doctor that often anyways. And it’s mandatory so there’s no opt out. It’s worse than Social Security or Medicare in the US because at least in the US you only pay them IF you make money (ie. have a job)

What can happen if I don’t pay the bill?

It just accumulates, they find you and slap you with a large bill. It is unavoidable as long as you have your ARC.

If you cannot pay due to economic duress, you can ask for an exeption. They are supposed to charge according to your income, so if you disagree you can appeal.

See it as a Murphy’s Law safety clause: if you have it, you won’t use it, but if you don’t, you’ll be run over by a bus.

BTW, are you paying your laobao, too?

1 Like

I’m not employed with an employer so I am not paying that… and no I am not paying for that “people’s retirement fund” scheme either, most Taiwanese don’t pay it anyways.

[quote=“Icon”]It just accumulates, they find you and slap you with a large bill. It is unavoidable as long as you have your ARC.

If you cannot pay due to economic duress, you can ask for an exeption. They are supposed to charge according to your income, so if you disagree you can appeal.

See it as a Murphy’s Law safety clause: if you have it, you won’t use it, but if you don’t, you’ll be run over by a bus.

BTW, are you paying your laobao, too?[/quote]

That is not exactly true. I don’t believe NHI can even access how long you have been in Taiwan. From August 2010 to June 2011, my employer didn’t deduct for health insurance and I didn’t have any. I had a legal ARC. Then when I switched employers, I began to pay into NHI again and didn’t have to pay for past coverage.

Maybe I was lucky, but I didn’t have to pay for the past.

I bet the bill went to your last addresss, you lucky devil.

[quote=“steelersman”][quote=“Icon”]It just accumulates, they find you and slap you with a large bill. It is unavoidable as long as you have your ARC.

BTW, are you paying your laobao, too?[/quote]

That is not exactly true. I don’t believe NHI can even access how long you have been in Taiwan. From August 2010 to June 2011, my employer didn’t deduct for health insurance and I didn’t have any. I had a legal ARC. Then when I switched employers, I began to pay into NHI again and didn’t have to pay for past coverage.

Maybe I was lucky, but I didn’t have to pay for the past.[/quote]

I didn’t change addresses. At least for teachers, the employer is suppose to pay it and deduct from your salary. I worked for one school and they never paud it. Then I made sure that my next employer paid it.

Ah, maybe they haven’t caught yet… Hey, wait a sec, you’;re not in Taiwan anymore! How do you know there is not a big fat wad of bills waiting for you in your past abode? They are slow, but they do send the bills… Oh, well, anyways you’re off.

This is the reality regarding NHI:

If you plan to leave Taiwan more than 6 months you must go to NHI office and stop your NHI benefits. It will only take effect when you leave and if you come back anytime within 6 months, you must pay all NHI payments while you were out!

Unless you are gone more than 2 years in that case you lose your household registration and you would be ineligible for NHI for 6 months after you reestablish your household registration.

Until you get into a medical emergency.

1 Like

That’s how insurance works.
You know, as in National Health Insurance

2 Likes