Replacement Car Key Crazy Price NT$6000 - Hack?

The dealer quote is NT$5126 for key (with a chip) and NT$670 to program the key chip.

Any good ideas on hack or work-around? Didn’t see much useful googling.

What brand and model? Did you lose one or did it run out of battery? Are you just looking for an additional spare key?

The best answer may depend on the situation

For a friend’s second car work vehicle, Honda CRV, need an additional spare key, not urgent.

If it’s a rarely used spare, how about just cutting a metal blank and ignoring the electric transponder? Unless it’s one of those stupid new car keys that has no actual key anymore.

In which case you are SOOL

It’s a transponder key with a chip inside.

A regular metal cut key work theoretically won’t work without the transponder to open the doors and start the car.

Well, there’s a reason that digital keys are hard to hack. Less reason why they’re so expensive. Other than that they can.

Sorry. If the key is just the actual chip, then no. If you have a metal bit as well, then the rest depends on what the manufacturer has decided the chip will control.

I have an older Subaru that can use just the metal key to open doors and start. That turns off the immobilizer and the alarm. But I guess many newer cars require the proximity chip to be able to run, even if the metal key might be used to open the boot or something.

Damned annoying because I used to take the key with me when surfing. Tied around my arm under the wetsuit. Can’t do that with a chip. Need to invest in a key lock box.

Yup, that’s why I’m looking for a hack.

Edited above

Have you tried a couple of the independent key cutting shops, they are pretty good at finding workarounds or generic keys that can be programmed.

1 Like

Looks like the key’s themselves are considerably cheaper if buying non-branded, for example, https://carkeysexpress.com/store/keys-and-remotes/Honda/CR-V .

Programming might be an issue, I suggest getting in touch with Jamie at autocheckers to see what can be done, @sulavaca

Here’s a potential option for you.
Open up the existing key and locate the RFID chip inside. Remove it and stick it to the inside of the plastic steering cowl, beside the lock mechanism. This way you only ever need a mechanical key and never need to program another RFID chip

2 Likes

But then anyone with a screwdriver can help themselves to the car :oncoming_automobile:

It absolutely makes the car less secure. You can always add your own, separate cut off too though.
I can always get you a price on a replacement, coded key if you like too. Just line me the vehicle details at ‘jamiealton’

One option would be to velcro the chip in location and then remove it when parking, bit of a PITA though.

Then you could pass it to the other person when they wanted to use the car. You know like you would with a Key :key:

Or you could put it in a prearranged location in the vehicle therefore avoiding the need to pass it to another person.

This had become more hard work than buying the key.

When we bought a car with only one remote, we found a guy, working from a mobile workshop in his van.
Very professional, drove down to B2, and did it on the spot.
He scanned the chip, reproduced it, then cut the key itself.
Worked ever since till we sold the car, and paid half the price of the dealer quote.

You know, I used to own a 2006 Saab, and for the longest time thought I only had a remote. One day it ran out of battery and I waited in the bitter cold wind for 3 hours for the roadside help dude to come.
He took a look at it, said “I’m pretty sure these have a…”, Pushed the Saab logo on the back of the key and pulled out a hidden metal key.
Just felt like sharing that

2 Likes