Reporting parking violations to the police

traffic violation is not frivolous in many cases. People, especially kids and elders, could be hurt by scooters driving on sidewalk, hit by vehicles turning right on red light, forced to walk on busy roadway due to illegally parked scooters, etc, etc,

5 Likes

“Some children are timorous and some children are reckless.
In order to save the lives of reckless children, warnings are calibrated for their safety.
The result of which is, the timorous living in the state of perpetual terror.”

-David Mitchell-

I haven’t missed anything my I’ll informed friend. I just have better things to do with my time than reporting people because they parked a scooter on the sidewalk. That was my point.
If you know your going out call 30 minutes earlier. Grandma is not in the hot sun as you said she can’t get out.<<<Of course I’m being sarcastic about the 30 mins and Grandma!

You’re looking at “what could possibly happen” like most Americans. Taiwanese do not see it that way, and so people do some really crazy things here by American standards that Taiwanese see as normal. So you may think it’s not frivolous but to them you are. They’re thinking, what’s the problem.

Taiwanese government makes all kinds of rules, if it were enforced to the hilt would actually grind Taiwan to a halt. They can’t possibly enforce all the rules reasonably at all.

I talk to a Taiwanese about how some repair shop pile tires all over the place, how there are probably 20 dogs in the alley that poop all over the place and he tells me not to make a big fuss about it, because that would only create bad neighbors.

Or I can go to the US and tell everyone how crazy it is for them to be selling guns at Walmart, and thus causing all kinds of gun violence…

2 Likes

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

There’s a reason the saying goes ‘snitches get stitches’.

I for one feel the laissez-faire style of enforcement works for Taiwan. I’ve reported people too but only for violations like people parking outside the building overnight in the bus bay. If it doesn’t affect me personally I couldn’t care less if people double park or whatever. What I’m gonna report people from parking on the sidewalk when granny has all her potted plants blocking the sidewalk and home owners all have the front end of their cars sticking over the sidewalk? Either they enforce it all or don’t bother with selective enforcement.

The only road safety issue I’m concerned about is the constant disregard of pedestrians, that I can get behind

2 Likes

It works for the assholes who do it. Everyone else has to put up with it. Taiwanese have been raised to put up with shit because that’s what you’re supposed to do. But, when you scratch the surface, many will tell you that they believe it’s bullshit.

2 Likes

Well, I’m three grand down, plus about the same to fix the electrics, which’d buy a few chicken dinners.

They take a while to come in so you don’t get a chance to be deterred by the first one before you get some more.

Was actually quite alarming, since I’ve parked there for a few years and wasn’t sure if there were limits on frequency or how far back they could go. Theoretically could be more than the GDP of a small African republic. They seem to have stopped now, though, so I’d guess there is some statute of limitations

Update: They changed the online system so that ARC holders are allowed to report violations again.

But if you input an ARC number there’s a separate section where you’re required to upload a copy of your ARC. The reason is that with ID numbers they can link to the household registration bureau’s system to verify that the name and number provided match but they can’t do the same with NIA for ARC numbers, so they want a copy of the card to do it manually.

Report away!!

7 Likes

System? What online system?
Do you have links?

Or…don’t.

Snitches get stitches.

3 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be the case for New Taipei City, perhaps Taipei only?

Direct links tend to be changed and die on a fairly regular basis but you can get to them from Here

Right now Taipei is at Taipei Police Reporting and New Taipei at New Taipei City

4 Likes

I don’t think they allow children to make reports, so no issue with this. Children can post on Forumosa moaning about poor parking and driving, adults can use the reporting system to get something done about it.

2 Likes

That’s because out there, your information is forwarded directly to your neighborhood Wise Guys, who can then send a couple of sharp dudes around to your house for a “chat”.

1 Like

I’ve never moaned about poor parking or driving (ok maybe driving).

Don’t really get your point. Are you calling me a child? Some of my best friends are children…

Reporters used to get $200 for every ticket issued. Max 2 a day.
Not sure if this still is the case.

$200 was for driving offences.

Not the case now, only environmental reports get a “reward”.

Thata good. Too many losers trying to hide around lamp corners in the past to load their pockets snitching