Reporting the death of a newspaper - R.I.P. Taiwan News

[quote=“sandman”]Jesus! It’s got EVERYTHING! Godawful layout, godawful fonts, godawful colours, right down to the un-asked for cheesy music!
Just unbelievable! :notworthy: :laughing:[/quote]

It’s Taiwanese … like the interior of [many] houses, cars, restaurants … tasteless … but remember, Taiwan’s English Newspapers are NOT for ‘Furegners’ … :doh:

I couldn’t believe what I saw: it’s like the website went back to the 90’s and revamped itself as an offshoot of Geocities in its heyday! Weirdly flashing graphics, horrible music soundtracks, moving graphics that don’t move fluidly at all, … It’s like someone designed the website with … what was that Microsoft program for doing webs… Microsoft FrontPage 98 (version 3).

After the redesign of the TaipeiTimes (finally bringing that site forward about 5 years)… I couldn’t believe how backward Taiwan News was. But the worst thing is that the pages have NO SEO value at all: I doubt Google indexes those new formats for multimedia meaning that many future visitors will find the news about Taiwan from papers that are well indexed. I even tried clicking on old links in the forum here, but they no longer work either. I also have to say that even local government sites are becoming slicker… I just don’t know who designed a site like that … or why?

In some ways, the China News/Taiwan News was at the front- redesigning itself several times over the years… but I think this will also highlight how the paper just ‘imploded’ without having a print edition, they have virtually no chance now of having any revenue that matters. And online advertising won’t pay much attention to a site with less and less traffic. Witness, compete’s own stats for etaiwannews show traffic off 40% in the past year anyway …

. I guess the EtaiwanNews just happens to be at the front again… this time as a self-imploding news organisation. Pity

Kenneth

[quote=“cfimages”]Got to love their website though.

Touch me please. :roflmao:

[/quote]

I’d love to touch that! Muahahahaha

So, from the sophisticated menu -not to say complicated- you can get into the sophisticated version of the paper. But when you click there to get taiwan News Brief, you get this:

taiwannews-inbrief.com/

:doh:

Going back to the menu, it seems that now they have actually put the old Taiwan News style back up:

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/list_e … taiwan.jpg

:s

I don’t get it. :loco:

I’ve been seeing the paper back in the news stands. It’s alive!

Where? When? Is it a daily newspaper or a weekly or monthly magazine? Taiwan News also publishes a Chinese-language magazine and I believe they have continued to publish it after the demise of their English-language daily newspaper.

It’s daily apparently, but I don’t see it often. So I don’t know how they distribute it. I bought a Sunday edition last week and I saw a weekday in the stands somewhere.

If it’s there the best place to look would be an I-Mei.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does it say it’s free?!

Really? Hell I have an I-Mei across the street. Gonna take a look

It’s not free.

It should be. The brief Apple Daily they give for free at the MRt is far more rich content wise and has more pages. English, my foot. Copy paste sample, yep, that’s right.

I saw a copy in the Family Mart today. Looked tiny and pathetic. I’d rather spend my money on either of the other two rags, but in fact, I’d rather not spend my money on them at all. I get far more content at NT$10 in a Chinese paper than I do at NT$15 in an English one.

'Fraid, like many ‘english’ services here, they’re not for real english speakers (otherwise editorials might be readable!), they are largely for local (chinese) consumption. Ridiculous, but true. Save your money and get a real subscription to a ‘real’ newspaper online.

Kenneth

According to Taiwan News today, Taiwan High Speed Rail is getting into the airline business:

[quote]Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation (THSRC) will add 60 flights to its operation service beginning Apr. 1 until April 6 in dealing with expected swelling passengers during the Tomb Sweeping Day vacation, said the railway company.

The flights with discount favors amount to 533, occupying 65% of all as the early bird project and non-reserved seat are still of service during the vacation. Tourists are allowed to order tickets through 24-hour Internet system, convenient stores and railway stations from Mar. 5, said THSRC. More information is available at thsrc.com.tw[/quote]
taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … DE6E4A18AB :roflmao:

Is that English? :doh:

Makes sense to me. You can’t allow swelling passengers on a train. Think of what could happen!

For me it’s deja vu…

Last week the Taipei Times had a headline on page 2 that was about Vientam. Something about Vientam but I forgot what it was. or where.