Republican Presidential Candidacy: The War Party

Unrepentant over the GOP’s disastrous invasion of Iraq, Republican candidates are determined to stay the course - and change the subject

[quote]Quietly and miserably, like an anxious mother tiptoeing away from an autistic child who has fallen asleep with his helmet on, the Republican Party continues its hopeless search for a viable nominee while backpedaling from its own disaster in Iraq. The candidates, all of them – I exclude here Congressman Ron Paul, who is an uninvited guest to this ball – are fourth-rate buffoons, not one of them qualified to hold down the last ten minutes of a weekday open-mike night in a Skokie comedy club. They are divided into two categories: those who try to avoid talking about Iraq by saying nothing at all, and those who try to avoid talking about Iraq by talking loudly about something else…

In the face of the awesome political catastrophe that has befallen the Republican Party in the form of George W. Bush, the response of its new leaders has not been to re-examine their perverted values, their vicious tactics or even their position on Bush’s singularly idiotic and supremely characteristic policy mistake, the Iraq War. Instead, the party is closing its eyes and trying, Dorothy-like, to wish its way back to Kansas, back to the good old days of mean-spirited, blame-the-darkies politics of Newt Gingrich, a time when electoral blowouts could be won by offering frightened Americans a chance to pull a lever against gays, atheists and the collective rest of onrushing modern reality.[/quote]

A hard-hitting Rolling Stone article. The above are just a couple hi-lites.

Rolling Stone has gathered much moss.
What a pretentious, hackneyed, pillaging piece.
HST would be ashamed!

Truly. How pathetic.

Where is PJ O’rourke when you need him?

Jann Weiner getting the DNC talking points out pretty quick…must have had them in the pipe before Gen. Petreus even got into D.C.

:laughing:

What delicious irony!

I’d add moral equivalists to that last list, and where the bold is I’d add “and the party’s supporters,” which is delightful given the comments above!

HG

Truly. How pathetic.[/quote]

Agreed. A sadly juvenile and obnoxious article. Then again, we’re clearly not the target audience. I’m sure the people it was written for enjoyed it for what it is. Different strokes, I suppose. :idunno:

Well fellas, after how many months of a spineless Democratic congress that wants to “overlook past differences” and blah blah blah please don’t label us unpatriotic terrorist coddlers blah blah blah, I’m pretty revved up for using fighting words and calling spades spades. I’ve watched the Republican debates, I’ve read specs on the candidates, and this guy’s basically RIGHT.

This is not “obnoxious”, it is OBVIOUS!

Unfortunately this is what most of the Democrats are too, and I’m just as happy to say THAT. It’s why I’m willing to vote for Ron Paul - despite his HUGE flaws - if it means choosing between him and some other talking head like Clinton or Obama.

The only thing I’m not convinced of – and this stems from the cynisim brought on by 7 years of post-9-11 national insanity – is that the public will “stay the course” in recognizing what a terrible course any of these candidates is certain to take us on. The author needs to read my Goering quote below, and read it well. All it would take would be for one successful terrorist attack (or facsimile thereof), or perhaps someone digging up Osama’s body from whatever avalanche he’s buried under, and between the knee-jerks and the jury-rigging we’ll end up four years further along on the decline and fall of the American way.

Ron Paul is certainly drawing a lot of attention from the fringe elements.

Too bad the Demos are unable to field a candidate who would be more to the liking of this constituency. Its going to force a lot them to register Republican for their primaries.

Nope. Kucinich is my man. However, sad to say he has no more hope than Paul does, most likely. By my guess, the media has already decided it’ll be Romney or Giuliani vs. Clinton or Obama, and that’s most likely how it’s gonna play out.

Truly. How pathetic.[/quote]

Agreed. A sadly juvenile and obnoxious article. Then again, we’re clearly not the target audience. I’m sure the people it was written for enjoyed it for what it is. Different strokes, I suppose. :idunno:[/quote]

This is not “obnoxious”, it is OBVIOUS!

Unfortunately this is what most of the Democrats are too, and I’m just as happy to say THAT.[/quote]

That’s why I’ve got a lot more respect for you, Vay, than I do for the author of that article. The author of that piece was clearly not “just as happy” to state the obvious: that politicians (of either party) who are willing to sacrifice what one generally needs to sacrifice in order to get to that level of power (principles, time spent with family, honesty etc.) tend to be “utter tools”. He chose instead to write a piece peddling the juvenile story of politics as a battle between the “good people party” and the “bad people party”, where the “bad people party” are not just people who happen to believe that a different set policies would be best, but are actually malevolent people, stupid people, evil people etc. That’s why what you said is sensible, and what young Master Taibbi said is in his article is childish and obnoxious.

Just read the article. No wonder ‘you guys’ apparently took it so personally. :laughing:

You’re missing the point. It does not matter if he is right, left, centrist, etc., or not: if he is not capable of writing well, then his whole position is groundless. Rolling Stone is today a bastion of mediocre puerile pap, easily digestible by it’s IQ-challenged audience. :mickey:

“…LIKE, ToTaLLY AWEsOMe, LIKE …”
:sick: :fatchance: :wall:

Would you apply the same standard to the ability to speak intelligently? :slight_smile:

Okay, I’m guilty of not having the time to have read it, but I thought the bits Vay quoted were on the money. And the responses were damned near perfect.

HG

Would you apply the same standard to the ability to speak intelligently? :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ye’ve already pegged me as a bushie, have ye?
Let’s make my position clear. I can’t stand to watch Georgie Jr. even gesture, let alone speak. I’m all for knocking the right, when their inanity of policy reaches untold depths of depravity…
Yet, it must be done well.
I’ve always been, and always will be, a clasical liberal, in the former use of such a term. Roughly speaking, that means I will flail on both sides of your tidy, neat, little shrinking two-party political system. Truth be told, I come from a long line of progressive folks.
& that’s precisely what drives me to post such scathing critique of the left of the right. It just doesn’t measure up to the old challengers.
Who, it must be said, have more than a thirty second attention span.

Would you apply the same standard to the ability to speak intelligently? :slight_smile:[/quote]

Ye’ve already pegged me as a bushie, have ye?
Let’s make my position clear. I can’t stand to watch Georgie Jr. even gesture, let alone speak. I’m all for knocking the right, when their inanity of policy reaches untold depths of depravity…
Yet, it must be done well.
I’ve always been, and always will be, a clasical liberal, in the former use of such a term. Roughly speaking, that means I will flail on both sides of your tidy, neat, little shrinking two-party political system. Truth be told, I come from a long line of progressive folks.
& that’s precisely what drives me to post such scathing critique of the left of the right. It just doesn’t measure up to the old challengers.
Who, it must be said, have more than a thirty second attention span.[/quote]

As a former Republican I thought the article was a pretty good post-mortem of the moral and intellectual wreckage which calls itself the “Republican Party” these days so I’m not sure what all the squealing here is about unless it’s what it appears to be – pinpricks of the vanities.

Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it really is little more than a pathetic piece of journalistic trash. Some specifics would help. It would be hard to outdo [color=blue]this pathetic performance the other day though by the grand poobah of the pinprickees himself.[/color]