Reputable and safe extension cables?

Yep, surge protectors needs a working ground to work at all. Without that, it provides no protection whatsoever.

I’d get a 220v oven and avoid those 110 ones. Because with 220v ovens you’ll have to wire it directly into the panel or something, so no problem with running it at the same time as a kettle.

I hate 110 to be honest with you because they really can’t handle that many amps at all. If the same 20 amp circuit is in 220, it can handle an oven, a microwave, and a kettle at the same time.

I guess I’ll just have to pass on the surge protector. Overcurrent protector doesn’t need ground, right?

I quoted CHATGTP after validating the paragraph myself so its understood by all. I have been a forensic fire investigator for over 30 years so know what I am talking about. Whereas you just quote randomly without thinking.

3 Likes

We’re in Taiwan, which is 110 V. Unless they’re working in a commercial kitchen or seriously into cooking in an oven, few people are going to bother investing in a 220 V oven and rewiring things so they can use it. Silly advice, IMO, despite being generated by a human.

4 Likes

How many appliances do you plan to plug in and is there an issue with the combined current draw?

As has been mentioned the main circuit breaker has fuses and are usually clearly marked for rated current.

Nearly all appliances have a built in fuse, over voltage and that sort of thing.

Generally I buy the strips with 3 prongs, I cant recall if I have those with fuses, some have individual switches and I dont think brand is too important, its not exactly a complicated device.

Our oven and air con and perhaps one or two other things run on 220v, that needs to be set up in the fuse box.

1 Like

circuit breakers cut power when it senses a certain amount of amp has passed over. It doesn’t need a ground to work. As to how much amp it cuts power, it depends. There’s a magnetic protection that cuts power instantly when the amp drawn is several times rated, and a thermal protection that cuts power if the amp drawn is even 1 amp over rated over a longer period of time (typically several minutes). So if you were drawing 25 amps on a 20 amp circuit it will not pop immediately, but it pops after drawing it for several minutes.

How much did you have to shell out for that? I did think about getting a proper oven before so I could reach higher temperatures for making bread and pizzas, but when I looked into it it was pretty pricey and not really worth the hassle. Kitchen space is an issue too. A decent small Taiwanese oven, while not ideal, works mostly fine IMO.

Okay so based on your guys’ recommendations I’m going to look for an extension cable with the following specs:

• 白色 White
  • 至少1.5米 At least 1.5 meters
  • 至少三個插座 At least three sockets
  • 每個插座都有獨立的開關 Individual switches
  • 最大15安培 Max 15 amp
  • 過載保護 Overcurrent protection
  • 台灣或日本製造 Made in Taiwan or Japan

Not gonna look for 過電壓保護 Surge protection since it’s useless with my non grounded outlets.

Next stop TK3C.

1 Like

If you want low cost 220v small oven (non commercial and all that, since in Taiwan 220 ovens are generally commercial and fairly large), Taobao might be the ticket. They’ll have small oven that runs on 220 as China all use 220. They might have ones that are higher wattage that can reach higher temperature too.

But in general if you want higher temperature for proper pizzas, they’re commercial oven and as you say, is pretty pricey.

When we bought our house it was bare bones and needed renovation top to bottom, under such circumstances the wiring of 220 or 110 is purely a choice and planning.

There was very old wiring in the house, but we ripped all that out and replaced with new wiring.

For something like an oven Im pretty sure we run a dedicated line from the fuse box to the plug where we plug in the oven.

1 Like

I don’t know if you have specific brands in mind (I also wouldn’t buy the cheapest, but the branding of extension cables isn’t something I’ve really worried about tbh), but I often see reasonably priced and decent quality (IMO) extension cables in the flash sales part of Shopee, and I’ve bought them from there once or twice before. Haven’t had any fires yet.

Of all people to say this.

1 Like

I found one that meets all my requirements and more.

4 Likes

That should work…

what’s wrong with Sampo? It’s a large publicly traded Taiwanese company.

I don’t think brand matters that much honestly. I mean all you really need is an extension cord that has a circuit breaker rated for what the cord can safely carry.

That and don’t ever put microwaves, ovens, or whatever on an extension cord.

Nice, good price too! The ability to switch individually or all at once is pretty nice.

I’ve had too many of their products break for no reason over the years, same with Kinyo, so no way I would buy something like an extension cord from them.

1 Like

They also have ones with USB A and C ports in addition to regular outlets, I believe for just under $1000.