Reputable sources

I’ve just listened to an interesting, if too short and short on detail, speech that Anthony Zinni gave, Rethinking the War on Terror. Right off the bat, he suggests that terrorism is a tactic, not an ideology (despite the “-ism”), and that the concept of a war on a tactic is mistaken.

Anyways, my real question is, how skeptical should I be? I mean, I have trouble keeping up with which views are acceptable and which are not. One week buddy X is orthodox, the next he’s a heretic. I certainly don’t want to being guilty of Wrong Think or any other thought crimes. Is there a pocket guide to acceptable sources available? Something updated weekly (if not more often).

Thanks.

Que?

Well, I never thought highly of Fukuyama despite his having a few interesting ideas, but a couple of other posters did. Then he decided not to be a neo-conservative, I drew attention to the change in his thought, and it turned out that it didn’t matter, even to those who had previously thought much of him.

Then there was Richard Clark, Colin Powell, Richard Armitage, who all seemed to know what they were doing and garner widespread respect,

and a bunch of generals I didn’t know much about,

Proconsels Jay Garner and Paul Bremer,

and reporters who ask unscripted questions and push for answers.

All once trusted, valued, respected. Now, apparently, washed up, embittered, and not to be listened to.

So, last night I was listening to ret. Gen. Anthony Zinni. He said some interesting things, but before I post anything substantive, I thought it best to check whether or not he was still counted among the Right Thinking Who Are To Be Listened To, or whether I’d been inadvertently subjected to subversive materials and should purge myself of his lies. I mean, I wouldn’t want to find myself following his ideas too far, only to learn that he’d gone over to the Haters-of-Freedom brigade and was working towards a gold star and his 72-virgin reward.

Look, you’re either with us or against us. How much more simple does it need to be stated.

Do what Dubyaman says, or go to Gitmo.

And, in the meantime, go to your local Caves bookstore. The new Lonely Planet guide to terrorism should be out any day. Including updated chapters such as “Guantanamo Bay on less than $1 a day”, “5 star prisons in Iraq” and “Afghanistan - the ultimate guide for ex-Muslim Christian converts”.

[quote=“cfimages”]Look, you’re either with us or against us. How much more simple does it need to be stated.

Do what Dubyaman says, or go to Gitmo.

And, in the meantime, go to your local Caves bookstore. The new Lonely Planet guide to terrorism should be out any day. Including updated chapters such as “Guantanamo Bay on less than $1 a day”, “5 star prisons in Iraq” and “Afghanistan - the ultimate guide for ex-Muslim Christian converts”.[/quote]

Actually I heard Rough Guides will be the first to come out with a book.

Too bad there won’t be any pictures in the new edition. Muslim sensibilities and all that.

Some other outed wackos:

[ul]
Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark
-relevant link: iacenter.org/depleted/appeal.htm

Major Doug Rokke, the Director of the U.S. Army Depleted Uranium Cleanup Project after Gulf War I
[/ul]

I forgot to include Tom Ridge.

[quote]The Bush administration periodically put the USA on high alert for terrorist attacks even though then-Homeland Security chief Tom Ridge argued there was only flimsy evidence to justify raising the threat level, Ridge now says. [...] There were times when some people were really aggressive about raising it, and we said, 'For that?'"[/quote]

[quote=“dearpeter”]Some other outed wackos:

[ul]

Major Doug Rokke, the Director of the U.S. Army Depleted Uranium Cleanup Project after Gulf War I
[/ul][/quote]

Didn’t that Ramsey Clark dickhead speak at Milosevic’s funeral and say what a great bloke he was?

:wanker:

BroonArkan

[quote=“BroonAle”][quote=“dearpeter”]Some other outed wackos:

[ul]

[/ul][/quote]

Didn’t that Ramsey Clark dickhead speak at Milosevic’s funeral and say what a great bloke he was?

:wanker:

BroonArkan[/quote]

Yip. I have a feeling, if Clark is still alive (he is 76 or 77), he will be giving the same speech after Saddam has been hanged.

I’m skeptical of the OP.

Should I be?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I’m skeptical of the OP.

Should I be?[/quote]

It’s part of the moderator’s “sleep-better with Forumosa.com” campaign.

:snore:

BroonAtrophy

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I’m skeptical of the OP.

Should I be?[/quote]

WWRJD?

Uh-oh. William F. Buckley too?

[quote=""Buckley Says Bush Will Be Judged on Iraq War, Now a `Failure’"]March 31 (Bloomberg) – William F. Buckley Jr., the longtime conservative writer and leader, said George W. Bush’s presidency will be judged entirely by the outcome of a war in Iraq that is now a failure.

Mr. Bush is in the hands of a fortune that will be unremitting on the point of Iraq,'' Buckley said in an interview that will air on Bloomberg Television this weekend. If he’d invented the Bill of Rights it wouldn’t get him out of his jam.’’

Buckley said he doesn’t have a formula for getting out of Iraq, though he said ``it’s important that we acknowledge in the inner councils of state that it (the war) has failed, so that we should look for opportunities to cope with that failure.’’

The 80-year-old Buckley is among a handful of prominent conservatives who are criticizing the war. Asked who is to blame for what he deems a failure, Buckley said, the president,'' adding that he doesn’t hesitate to accept responsibility.’’

Buckley called Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, a longtime friend, a failed executor'' of the war. And Vice President Dick Cheney was flatly misled,’’ Buckley said. ``He believed the business about the weapons of mass destruction.’’ [/quote]