REQUEST extendable visitor visa? (was: Am I Doing this Right?...Winging the move to TW)

Two people have already responded to the earlier form of this post and I greatly appreciate it! (I of course would appreciate more feedback as well)

I however have another burning question which is related, but I did not want to just litter the forum with my posts.

New Question: According to the ROC’s website, on the current visa application: boca.gov.tw/public/Data/052516254871.pdf there is nowhere to REQUEST for the visa to be extendable. As I do not want a multiple entry, (as it cannot be extended), but a single entry which can if I find work or a program of study during my initial 60 days, do I ask or mention I want it extendable, or are ALL single entry, visitor visas extendable? (twice, up to 180 days)

Original Question:
Hey Everyone!

From searching throughout this forum for hours and hours I think I am going about everything correctly but want to make sure. Wife and I are moving to TW in August, (no jobs lined up yet, not really anything lined up honestly). So we are jumping through the pertinent hoops and whatnot to make sure we will be completely legal. Here is our plan:

1. Come over on a visitor/tourist visa (already have inbound ticket to TPE and a cheap outbound to the Phillipines within 60 days of our arrival. this of course is because you cannot change a 30 day exempt to an ARC without leaving the country and applying for a visitor visa abroad, so this should save the trip)
  2. Stay in a cheap hotel while hitting the pavement looking for employment (teaching)
  3. Get a job (hopefully quickly) working at least 15 hours a week
  4. Through the employer get an ARC
  5. Then have residency, get an apartment, bank account and cell phone plan.

Does this seem kosher?

THANKS!

[quote=“Confuzius”]Hey Everyone!

From searching throughout this forum for hours and hours I think I am going about everything correctly but want to make sure. wife and I are moving to TW in August, (no jobs lined up yet, not really anything lined up honestly). So we are jumping through the pertinent hoops and whatnot to make sure we will be completely legal. Here is our plan:

1. Come over on a visitor/tourist visa (already have inbound ticket to TPE and a cheap outbound to the Phillipines within 60 days of our arrival. this of course is because you cannot change a 30 day exempt to an ARC without leaving the country and applying for a visitor visa abroad, so this should save the trip)
  2. Stay in a cheap hotel while hitting the pavement looking for employment (teaching)
  3. Get a job (hopefully quickly) working at least 15 hours a week
  4. Through the employer get an ARC
  5. Then have residency, get an apartment, bank account and cell phone plan.

Does this seem kosher?

THANKS![/quote]The job market is tight, but if you’re not fussy, you should find something. (You ARE from either the States, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa, right? Those are the only nationalities that can be issued visas to teach English.) I’d count on not starting work for a month at least, which means that you might have to make a visa trip before you can be issued an ARC, assuming you get a 60 day visitor’s visa.

It might be a plan to go to cebu air and book yourselves tickets back to Taiwan, and another onward flight abck to Manilla for re-entry purposes. I say that because if you do that now it will be super cheap, because it’s so far in advance. Okay so you might not need to use it, hopefully, but it will save you having to pay more later on if it does turn out you have problems getting something you’re happy with. Just a thought, and best of luck.

UPDATE:

Got our visas, visitor, extendable, good up to 5 years.

The Sf TECO office lady said they only give multiple entry to Americans (dunno if thats true, but its true she said it)

and we did not have to “request” it to be extendable, (though on the letter from my professer outlining my research (which I wrote) the words extendable visitor visa were bolded to drive the point home that we will probably wish to stay longer than 60 days)

So it LOOKS like unless they hate you…its extendable from the get go. BUT, I saw on a government website even if your visa is not extendable, once in Taiwan you can go to BOCA and try to get it changed to extendable. But luckily we do not have to go through that process :discodance:

Sounds like you are all set to go, good luck, and keep us up to date with how it goes!