Requesting Leave from Taiwan on APRC

I have an APRC based on marriage. Has anyone asked for leave from Taiwan in order to persue school or work? Was your request approved or turned down?

For what reasons do they generally approve or reject your request?

An APRC based on marriage? What the hell is that?
If its an APRC, its based on various criteria, none of which include marital status.
If its a JFRV, its based on marital status and there’s no requirement for seeking permission to leave the country.

[quote=“sandman”]An APRC based on marriage? What the hell is that?
If its an APRC, its based on various criteria, none of which include marital status.
If its a JFRV, its based on marital status and there’s no requirement for seeking permission to leave the country.[/quote]Ooooh! That’s gonna leave a mark! :laughing:

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“sandman”]An APRC based on marriage? What the hell is that?
If its a JFRV, its based on marital status and there’s no requirement for seeking permission to leave the country.[/quote]Ooooh! That’s gonna leave a mark! :laughing:

[/quote]
Huh? Me no unnerstand. :ponder:

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]I have [color=#FF0000]an APRC based on
marriage
[/color]. Has anyone asked for leave from Taiwan in order to persue school or work? Was your request approved or turned down?

For what reasons do they generally approve or reject your request?[/quote]
FAIL. :laughing:

Do you mean a JFRV? In that case you don’t need anyone’s permission.

I got a different impression. Because so-called permanent residency gets canceled if one leaves Taiwan for more than half a calendar year, if one is going to be gone for longer than that one can request that the APRC not be canceled – at least not for a little while longer.

Is that what you’re asking, Taiwan Student?

It seems to me that the authorities would be more likely to grant an extension to someone married to an ROC citizen than a long-time businessperson without family ties here. But I have no experience with this myself.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“sandman”]An APRC based on marriage? What the hell is that?

[/quote]
Huh? Me no unnerstand. :ponder:[/quote]

From what I went through in my career in Taiwan, no slap can hurt. Tasted it all from abusive bosses,grumpy foreign service police denied me the three year visa for no apparent reason, to starting my own business. Now let me rephrase.
I’ve got the so-called permanent residency which as cranky laowai says I must stay in Taiwan more than six months per calendar year else it gets canceled. It also says that if I intend to leave Taiwan for a longer period of time, and want to maintain my rights and privileges, I must ask for leave.

The Based on marriage thing comes from… 1. My married status played a big part in me getting this Permanent Residency Card. I had to provide income, household registration and all that jazz. So again, has anyone asked leave? What did they say.
2. At least when I applied, my free and open work permit status came from my Joining Family Visa, but got transferred to my Permenant Residency Card. At least that’s how I understand it.

Apparently, you can leave for maximum 2 years, though you do need to apply and get clearance first. If you are going to study and have actually been accepted into an accredited institution, I’d say your chances of getting a two year stay are probably quite good. Call the NIA directly and ask.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]The Based on marriage thing comes from… 1. My married status played a big part in me getting this Permanent Residency Card. I had to provide income, household registration and all that jazz. So again, has anyone asked leave? What did they say.
2. At least when I applied, my free and open work permit status came from my Joining Family Visa, but got transferred to my Permenant Residency Card. At least that’s how I understand it.[/quote]
Mate, either you have a JFRV (marriage visa) or an APRC (permanent ARC). You can’t have both and you can’t get an APRC based on marriage. You either have an APRC based on you time in Taiwan + tax (income) and a few other things, or you have a JFRV (like me) based solely on being married to a Taiwanese citizen.

If your marriage played any role (let alone a big role) in obtaining your visa, then it’s a JFRV, and not an APRC. In that case, you don’t need permission to leave and can always apply for a new one if the old one runs out while your out of Taiwan.

The problem is easily solvable. Take out your visa card (the visa to be in Taiwan, the blue one, not your credit card…just in case we’re not on the same page :wink: ). Look at the bottom where it says “Reason to be in Taiwan”. I it says, “依親” followed by your wife’s Chinese name then you have a JFRV.

Edit: I find it odd that you’re not 100% certain what type of visa you have. There is no APRC based on marriage. Marriage can only get you a JFRV. An APRC can only be obtained under certain circumstances and has nothing to do with marriage. Nothing at all.

It used to be the case that in order to qualify for an APRC, you needed to have residency for 7 years if you weren’t married and 5 years if you were married. I think he’s just saying he got his based on marriage.

Citizen k’s advice seems pretty good. This has been discussed before on the forums, but my searches couldn’t come up with a great thread on it. It’s only been mentioned here and there, from what I can see.

It’s the advice on the NIA document that they give out when receiving an APRC. It mentions stays away from Taiwan, getting a new ID when you renew your passport, and other maintenance issues for APRC holders. OP, just call them up and ask.

Can anyone post a scan of this document? I never received one with mine.

On a related note, I’ve only had it for 9 months and I’ve already had to change it once. My passport is up for renewal next year so I’m going to have to change it again. Then I’ll probably be moving the year after that and I’ll have to change it again… Each time I’ve got to go back to the NIA and change this damn card and wait two weeks to get a new one. The old paper ones were much easier to deal with.

Sorry, forgot about this. Busy weekend.

I folded down the top because it contains personal info:

More:

Thanks for that info, citizen k.