Requesting telephone service provider to unlock iPhone?

A colleague of mine recently bought an iPhone 4 in England without realizing that he would not be able to use it in Taiwan. It’s carrier locked. Not sure which company he bought it from, I didn’t ask.

He contacted the service provider in question and he complained that he was unable to use his phone in Taiwan. He was asked to wait three days before trying a Taiwan SIM card meanwhile they are supposed to unlock his phone, remotely, from all the way in England. My colleague is currently in Taiwan.

What is that all about? Can they really do that or are they just buying themselves time before giving him the hard news that his phone is not usable in Taiwan? I’ve never heard about this before and I’m very reluctant to believe it.

iPhone unlocking is done by having the original phone company submit the phones id number to Apples server. AFter the original phone company has submitted the unlock request. The iPhone must be connected with a computer with iTunes installed. When it syncs with itunes it checks on the apple server for its unlock status and unlocks it.

So yes it can be done from overseas.

[quote=“pqkdzrwt”]iPhone unlocking is done by having the original phone company submit the phones id number to Apples server. AFter the original phone company has submitted the unlock request. The iPhone must be connected with a computer with iTunes installed. When it syncs with itunes it checks on the apple server for its unlock status and unlocks it.

So yes it can be done from overseas.[/quote]Interesting. So I guess it’s up to the service provider to say yes or no… Interesting. I asked out of pure curiosity. Thanks for the reply, pqk. :slight_smile: