Requirements for a work permit

Does anyone the exact requirements for a work permit? Degree/work experience, etc.?

Given the way that you have phrased this question, I will make the assumption that you are a newly arrived single foreigner in Taiwan. Based on this assumption, I can offer the following brief advice.

Technically speaking, it is the employer who applies for your work permit. Hence, if you want to work here, the first step is to find a legally registered employer who wants to hire you. He/She will fill out the application materials and assemble the necessary attachments, and submit them to the relevant superior agency in the ROC government. Most work permits are issued for a minimum term of one year.

As a single foreigner, you will need a college degree to qualify for a work permit, and in many types of jobs, you will have to prove a year or two of experience as well.

English teaching is, I believe, one field where proof of prior experience is (currently) not required. You need a college degree from an English speaking country, but your major does not necessarily have to be English.

Employers wishing to hire foreigners often advertise in Taiwan’s three English dailies. Many employers who do not often hire foreigners are unaware of the procedures regarding applications for work permits. In that case, if you are qualified for the job, and the employer does indeed want to hire you, then you (and your Chinese friend) may have to help with the paperwork.

If you can be more specific about your situation, including nationality, marital status, educational background, experience, planned length of time here, etc. then it might be possible for visitors to this site to offer you more detailed recommendations.

Here is just something I’ve seen…in one particular situation, a candidate came to my office (Acer) to apply for a job in my department – I was doing the hiring at the time. He was VERY apprehensive because he’s had two attempts in applying for work permits and they were not approved. In both cases, they were smaller companies (not English teaching jobs).

My point is, larger Taiwanese companies apply on behalf of foreigners so often that the government assumes this kind of hiring is very common.

I’m happy to say this person was hired very quickly (two-weeks).