Requirements for Taiwanese citizens (ABC)?

I’m thinking of taking a year off of university to teach abroad, hopefully in Taiwan. As I’m currently a student, I don’t hold a Bachelor’s degree yet.

Are the requirements (of a 3-year degree and TEFL) the same for Taiwanese passport-holders? Am I out of luck? :s

Short answer: no. Degree requirements are for employment-based visas, the type which you won’t need as a citizen. Individual employers may have their own requirements, though.

From what I have heard, the actual requirement is an Associates Degree with a TEFL certificate, OR a BA.

At least that is what I heard on Dave’s ESL forum, anyone want to confirm or deny?

Also as Toasty said, there shouldn’t be requirements for Taiwanese passport holders, but a school may require a BA or more.

You need a Taiwan ID card in order to work without an ARC as the degree is for getting an ARC. Does your Taiwanese passport have an ID card number ? You get this automatically if you’re born in Taiwan but moved away early in life (like me) and when you come back to Taiwan, you can get your ID in about 1 hour for NT$80. If you were born in the US, then it’s a much more complicated process.

And if you’re male, you may be conscripted upon your arrival, too (not in study)