Residency/Arc BEFORE Importing Pets?

Hello helpful awesome expats,

Been searching through the forums and cannot find the answer to this question.

Bringing our dog with us, (a couple months after hes actually flying China air alone) been doing everything right, serum test, FDA (were Yanks), know about quarantine, yadda yadda

Question: Do we have to actually have an ARC/Residency before we bring our dog over? I remember reading this somewhere, but now cannot find it. I am not sure if that is true or not anyhoo. We are arriving with Visitor visas and will be looking for work.

OR, can we just bring him once we are there without worries? (though this question might be superfluous, since we plan on actually renting an apartment before he comes over and to legally rent an apartment you have to have an ARC, but thought I would try and find out the details).

Thanks so much! :notworthy:

I don’t know about the rules, or your country, but I personally wouldn’t want to bring a pet to taiwan without guarantee of a job.

Mainly because I am told that having to bring the pet again back through quarantine (in Australia) is apparently not an experience anyone would want their pet to go through if you can possibly avoid it.

Contact the Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine: baphiq.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=8 … =1702&mp=1
Phone numbers are at the bottom of that page.

It’s very easy and inexpensive to import pets from Taiwan to USA or Canada because those countries have rabies. It’s a difficult and expensive procedure to import you pets to Australia (but worth it!) because Australia is also rabies free and they want to keep it that way. They take drastic measures to ensure no imported animals will bring rabies into the country. In case you need it, here’s a guide to get your pet from Taiwan to Australia: bark-taiwan.org/en/tips-and- … -australia

[quote=“Ladybird”]

It’s very easy and inexpensive to import pets from Taiwan to USA or Canada because those countries have rabies. It’s a difficult and expensive procedure to import you pets to Australia (but worth it!) because Australia is also rabies free and they want to keep it that way. They take drastic measures to ensure no imported animals will bring rabies into the country. In case you need it, here’s a guide to get your pet from Taiwan to Australia: bark-taiwan.org/en/tips-and- … -australia[/quote]

Yes, bringing the dog from US to Taiwan, since the US is infested with rabies, it will be a sinch to bring him back. Oh, and like I said, he is coming after us, a full 2 months, we expect to be settled with jobs by then!

thanks for the link!

Your dog is flying alone? I didn’t know that was possible. I thought there had to be a person on the plane to accompany him? No? How does that work? Do your family or friends take him to the airport and just board him on the flight? I’m curious.

When I had my cat sent over from Canada, I hired a company to take care of all the paperwork there, since I was already in Taiwan. They had to send her as CARGO which was a lot more expensive that putting her on a plane with a passenger as extra baggage. My sister took my cat to the airport and checked her in for the first flight (Domestic flight- Calgary to Vancouver). In Vancouver, the pet travel company was at the airport to pick her up and then check her in for the International flight to Taiwan.

Thanks for the response. If you don’t mind me asking, how much (approximately) did it cost? I have two dogs and I’m trying to figure out if it would be cheaper for me to fly back to Canada and get them or go with an agency. I figure it will cost me $60,000NT to fly to Canada and back, plus expenses while I’m there, and loss of wages for the week or so I’m gone . Also, is it possible to fly them over alone and without an agency? I got the impression from the OP that’s what they were planning on doing.

It was about 8 years ago so I’m foggy on details. It cost me about $60,000nt to get my cat here using an agent and sending her cargo. This was the most expensive option. I can’t even remember if it was an option to send her as extra baggage or not. It was possible to get everything done in Canada without an agent but at the time that wasn’t an option for me. I was in Taiwan and my cat was staying with my sister who was ill and couldn’t run around getting all the documents and vet papers necessary. Also, the paperwork needs to be started several months prior to the pets’ departure. The fee depends on the weight, so the bigger the dogs, the more expensive it will be.

China air told me the cost all depends on:

-weight of dog
-size of dog
-weight of crate
-size of crate
–combination of all of the above (you have to call around 2 weeks before you want the animal to come and give them the dimensions and then they give you a price)

they said (when I told them my pooch is around 60 lbs) to expect to pay around USD 100-150

and the other poster is correct that the animal is shipped as cargo

due to that cost…we are NOT using an agent and therefore saving well over USD1500…though if money was not an issue I would use an agent, (but the cost is outrageous)

I think it’s possible you were under-quoted. I just sent a dog to Canada last week on China Air. The rates are based on dog and crate combined. Rosa weighed 16kg (35 pounds). Her crate weighed 20kg (44 pounds). After giving them the exact dimensions of the crate, they asked for the combined weight which was 36kg (79 pounds). When Rosa was checked in, the fee was over $5000nt ($173 USD).
Last year I sent a smaller dog to Canada. Bamboo weighed 11kg (24 pounds) and his crate weighed 12kg (26 pounds)for a combined weight of 23kg (50 pounds). It cost $3200nt.

I didn’t pay much attention but I heard something like this: that if the combined weight is under 25kg, the fee is around $3200nt. Between 26-32kg costs almost double. And 33kg and over, double again.
So, keep that in mind when purchasing a crate- the lighter the crate, the cheaper the flight. Or you could put your dog on a diet a month before the flight :wink:

Thanks guys! I’m still a little unclear though. Are you saying that someone (say my brother for example) could bring my dogs to the airport in Toronto, board them, and then they fly alone without anyone with them? I know I always read about animal organizations in Taiwan trying to get someone who is flying from Taiwan to somewhere in the U.S or Canada, on a certain date, to fly with a dog or cat. The reason, I have been told, is that the dog cannot legally fly alone. If they can fly alone I’m not sure why groups like Animals Taiwan are often asking people of Facebook if anyone can fly with the animal they have rehomed in the states. Cheaper maybe? Hmmm?

So, are you saying it would be possible for my brother to do the paperwork in Canada, bring them to Toronto airport, drop them off, and then I pick meet them at the airport in Taiwan when they arrive? If that is possible, how do I get the paperwork that he had processed in Canada? I’m a little confused. I always thought the only options were (a) they fly with someone, or (b) you go through an agency. Any insight would be helpful and appreciated.

YES, the pet would be considered CARGO, but it’s expensive. Also, the dog would not be taken to the airport but somewhere near there to the CARGO hold of the airline. If you take a pet with you on a plane, it’s considered EXTRA BAGGAGE and it’s much cheaper.

YES, it’s much cheaper and a lot less complicated to have a passenger take the pet as EXTRA BAGGAGE.

It’s probably only possible if you find an airline that will fly DIRECT from Toronto to Taipei- maybe Eva Air. If you send your dog by CARGO on a flight from Toronto and it has to change planes in Vancouver or elsewhere along the way, who will transit the dog? Check with the airlines directly.

You should consider what would happen if there was an error and/or the documents were incomplete. Your dog would not spend 21 days in quarantine, but maybe 6 months! And you pay per day! If you do the paperwork by yourself, make sure you triple check all the import procedures, get names of people whom you talk with and dates of those conversations. I would contact an agency, maybe they can answer some of your questions. I used this company: animaltravel.com/

A lot of papers were sent to me by fax when I had my cat sent over. The others were in a file, taped to the top of the cat crate.

Got it! Thanks Ladybird. Now I just need to figure out which method would be best for me and my dogs.