Residency through marriage?

Hey all im new to the forums and had a residency question. Ive been married to my taiwanese wife for 8 years now. Im also taiwanese myself with some taiwanese family there but am a US citizen only myself. Im looking to get a residency card to come and go through taiwan and the US. Any way thats possible just through my marriage? Living 6+ months in taiwan isnt possible due to my job. My wife and i do some small investments in taiwan but unfortunately it seems like shes not able to make me a beneficiary because im not a resident. Any thoughts/input/help? Thanks in advance.

I would tell you that even if it were optional, to instead have your Taiwanese nationality recognised through your parents.

One: Taiwanese people can’t get permanent residency. This can be problematic down the road if trying to settle here. Permanent residency is for foreigners and you’re not a foreigner.

Two: Foreigners are often heavily restricted in many areas of Taiwanese society.

1 Like

Is it possible for my parents to get me residency? Im 33 and what they mentioned before is that it wouldnt be possible(or very hard) after age 19?

Your parents can get you something better. Citizenship. That will grant you the right to be here instead of the privilege of residency.

Citizenship by descent is a right in Taiwan no matter your age. You’re allowed to be a dual citizen.

2 Likes

Will look in to it. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

No problem. Citizenship will definitely reduce restrictions and paperwork. This also means because China claims Taiwan, you could also work and live in China with little to no visa paperwork as an added bonus.

Citizenship is for life and will entitle you to come and go as you please.

1 Like

Citizenship was best. Just previously they made it seem like it would be a difficult task to accomplish.

Talk to your parents and your local TECO for more info. Some people here have done it as well. It should not be difficult.

I am a person who got citizenship by descent too. Not for Taiwan, but I have gone through the process of recognition. I highly recommend doing this one thing that will last you for life.

2 Likes

As far as I know your parents are correct. If you are under 20 you could have got your citizenship immediately assuming your parents have an active household registration. Now you’ll need a TARC first and reside a certain amount of time in Taiwan (1 to 5 years) to obtain your citizenship. If you can’t even stay in Taiwan for more than half a year, then it won’t happen.

Dang. That was what ny wife and i were worried about. There goes my name as my wifes beneficiaries :smiling_face_with_tear:

Unless you’re half-breed Taiwanese by way of your mother, in which case you can be too old (like @tommy525 and I).

1 Like

Both parents(seperated) are taiwanese with citizenship. I was born in the states and my mom didnt want me to get taiwanese citizenship at the time because she was worried i would get pulled in to mandatory military.

2 Likes

Yes, it is ridiculous. I’m also half Taiwanese from my mother’s side, but I actually have the possibility to get the citizenship because I was simply born in the right period of time (born 1988).

1 Like

I was born in 1989 if that makes any difference? My issue right now is i would have a hard time staying 183 days or whatever it is. I could do 1 year but 2-5 years is definitely out of the question

We have a couple of small investments and a couple of 6 year investments(no sure what the proper name is.) my worry is if anything were to happen to my wife i wouldnt see a single dollar out of anything. Also looking in to buying a house but if im not able to be listed as a beneficiary im definitely very hesitant.

No, it doesn’t make any difference as both of your parents are Taiwanese, hence getting the Passport/Nationality won’t be a big problem. But even if you get the citizenship, you’d still have the issue of the military service. Once you receive the citizenship/household registration you are eligible until the year you turn 37 (in your case that would be 2026).
Maybe you can check if getting the Nationality/Passport only is sufficient for your concerns.

Sorry you kind of lost me with this post and previous post. So me currently being 33 i can still manage to get taiwan citizenship through my parents? Im also not listened in either of their household. The only hoop is having to stay in taiwan 1-5 years and potentially serving in the military if < 37?

Yes, you can get citizenship through your parents, but with the mentioned issues staying 1-5 years and being eligible for military service until the year you turn 37.

What I meant with nationality/passport is the NWOHR passport, which is not the same as citizenship. It only shows that you are a Taiwanese national. You can apply for the passport at your local TECO and you only need to proof that you are a ROC descendant. Even if you want citizenship through your parents, you will need to apply for this passport first.

1 Like

Only if your dad was Taiwanese or if only your mom then if you are born after 1986 I think

On or after Feb 10, 1980.

1 Like