Resident visa class attendancy

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum so i’m saying hello to this community and at the same time ask some small questions :slight_smile:. This is the first time I’m posting !

I’ve been in Taiwan to study Chinese for 5 months and a half already and renewed my visitor visa twice without any troubles. Now I went to the MOFA to change for a resident visa and gave all the papers needed without troubles, except for one thing. The person saw my attendance which she thought to be a bit low (89%) and asked me to write a paper about it (I was sick with the weather), which I did. Then, she warned me that false declarations are prohibited and that she will call me to get back my passport next week. All the rest went fine.

Do you think the resident visa will be denied ? If so, what should I do (if you any answers of course :slight_smile: ). Thank you so much for your upcoming messages, I’m kinda stressed right now !

[quote=“Oxidda”]Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum so I’m saying hello to this community and at the same time ask some small questions :slight_smile:. This is the first time I’m posting !

I’ve been in Taiwan to study Chinese for 5 months and a half already and renewed my visitor visa twice without any troubles. Now I went to the MOFA to change for a resident visa and gave all the papers needed without troubles, except for one thing. The person saw my attendance which she thought to be a bit low (89%) and asked me to write a paper about it (I was sick with the weather), which I did. Then, she warned me that false declarations are prohibited and that she will call me to get back my passport next week. All the rest went fine.

Do you think the resident visa will be denied ? If so, what should I do (if you any answers of course :slight_smile: ). Thank you so much for your upcoming messages, I’m kinda stressed right now ![/quote]

I think you will probably be fine unless they check with the school and the school tells them something different. When you are sick in Taiwan, you should always go to the doctor so that you have ‘evidence’ that you were in fact sick. Evidence of the visit is all you need. This goes for school and employment. That’s just for future reference. I don’t think they will go into it too deeply.

Thank you for your answer, I did not go the doctor since I have medication from my home country, but the person seemed to be quite laughing at me like: “maybe you will get it, maybe not ?”. A pretty bad experience in the end :confused: Do you think having attendance below, let’s say 85% will deny you the visa for sure ? Anyway, I wont skip classes anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

I seem to remember that you need to attend 80% of your classes. But that was a long time ago.

BTW, the Taiwanese just love perfect attendance. Comparing notes back in the day, I realized that everyone who got a government scholarship had perfect attendance.

Thank you so much for your answer, I’m really hoping I will get it. But if not, do you have any recommendations ? Thank you again.

To those who lived the same thing, could you please share your story ? Also, if I am denied, can I still make a visa run, say, to have a new visitor visa ?

By the way, a lot of thanks for the community here, your informations are really helpful !

Hey I don’t think you should worry at all. As long as the hours you have missed does not exceed 1/4 of the total hours of class, you should be fine. I have been through the same headache with this student visa attendance thing. 89% meaning that is the time you were in class right?

I probably had worse attendance when I went to apply for my resident visa @ the MOFA a couple months back and they didn’t ask me to write no letter. Also, I think as long as you paid and have the receipt you should be good to go. That’s just my opinion though.

Thanks a lot again, what if your visa is denied and you have to make another one, even though you are registered for a new semester at school ? Do they warn the school or something, or is it possible to come back just with a new visitor visa OR a visa exempt entry ? Maybe my question is too detailed though, so if no one knows the answer it is fine.

EDIT: I finally got my resident visa in the end ! Did not expect it ! Just a piece of advise for people who will check this thread though, even though it seems 80% of attendance is the minimum requirement, don’t go under 90% like I did, or else you’re gonna have strong headaches ! Thanks again to the community !