Resident Visa Question

I have recently been putting together the paperwork for a resident visa through marriage. My wife and I were married 5 years ago in Taiwan and spent the last 4 years in Canada. My wife came back to earlier to apply to a course in Europe and i was finishing up my work in Canada. Our plan was for me to meet before her course started get my visa completed and while she completed her course i would secure employment and a place to live. Unfortunately, i was held up due to circumstances beyond my control and my wife had to leave or miss her last date at enrollment.Therefore, i have been at her families house during Chinese New Year trying to figure things out.

I have most of the paperwork. The marriage certificate, my Canadian criminal check, and my medical certificate. I just need to obtain a copy of the household registration.

My questions are;

1. They seem to need some proof of residence but because i’m here to find a place and cant begin looking untill i’m sure my visa situation is settled i don’t have one. I was told that an updated version of me on her families would serve that purpose. Is it possible for her mother to get an updated version and would my name still be on from when we first put it on 4 years ago?

2. I’ve heard that sometimes your spouse doesn’t have to be there to apply but today i was told that she would have to be. I went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kaoushiung and now I’m thinking i should just get all the paper work together and try in Taipei ( thats were we plan to live anyway). Has anyone applied without their spouse? I wonder if it is possible as the alternative is flying my wife back just as her program is starting.

Yes.

I believe it’s a new rule that your spouse must be present. They told me it is meant to cut down on fake marriages, etc.

I believe it’s a new rule that your spouse must be present. They told me it is meant to cut down on fake marriages, etc.[/quote]

Who would mayy a Taiwanese just to stay here… heavens forbid such a thing :whistle: