Resources: Living on the East Coast (Taidong, Hualian, or Yilan)

Nice video and nice views from the sky if you happen to be in the sky.

They missed a key point in that its usually too hot, humid or wet to go outside. Tourists see the advertising and then go and then think “we must of came on a rare hot or wet season” not realizing it’s like that most of the time.

i wont live anywhere else in taiwan anymore.

The humidity thing isnt really true. At least for taidong. its dry in taidong. Ive lived other areas and the only thing true i hear about taidong is less people and hot sun. the sun is REALLY hot! BUT the air isnt as polluted or humid and you dont get that greenhouse effect like you do in the west. this means: in taidong sun of 37 you die in 2 minutes. if you walk under a roof or tree, its much cooler (exclude taidong city). in the west its so muggy you need the AC just as much for dehumidifying effect as you do for cooling. Hualien is different as the mountains close up and it gets rainy there a lot so its for sure more humid. But the east coast is also cold in the winter, unlike the southern half of the west. cleaner air and more wind makes for a very very nice life in taiwan, without having to live in landslide territory.

the best aspect is not so many 7-11s and related mentality folk around.

2 Likes

I relocated to hua/dong from the west side and love it. Was lukewarm on tw now i love it.

One of the most beautiful places on earth.

you roam up and down the 2 counties, or whereabouts specifically are you on east coast?

1 Like

Around Meishan.

But I’m out and about a lot for work so yes a lot of roaming as well.

I had to chuckle at this because: A few years ago I moved to Hualian with the intention of studying Chinese full-time for one year. I made it through six months, quit school, and spent the next six months roaming up and down Hualian and Taidong, just like you said. What a fantastic six months that was!

3 Likes

All the long term expats here that arent either city people or clinically deressed live out here :wink: