Retaliation Against Bunny Greenhouse?

Get ready for the smearboating of Bunny Greenhouse to begin. We can see what happens to government workers who dare to speak out when the President’s cronies have their snouts in the trough.

NYT

[quote]A top Army contracting official who criticized a large, noncompetitive contract with the Halliburton Company for work in Iraq was demoted Saturday for what the Army called poor job performance.

The official, Bunnatine H. Greenhouse, has worked in military procurement for 20 years and for the past several years had been the chief overseer of contracts at the Army Corps of Engineers, the agency that has managed much of the reconstruction work in Iraq.

The demotion removes her from the elite Senior Executive Service and reassigns her to a lesser job in the corps’ civil works division.

Ms. Greenhouse’s lawyer, Michael Kohn, called the action an “obvious reprisal” for the strong objections she raised in 2003 to a series of corps decisions involving the Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root, which has garnered more than $10 billion for work in Iraq. [/quote]

more here:

[quote]She said the independence of the Corps’ contracting process was compromised in the handling of the contact. “I observed, first hand, that essentially every aspect of the [Restore Iraqi Oil] contract remained under the control of the Office of the Secretary of Defense. This troubled me and was wrong.”

Greenhouse has been the Army Corps’ top procurement official since 1997. Then-commander Gen. Joe N. Ballard has said he wanted Greenhouse – a black woman – to provide a jolt to the clubby, old-boys’ network that had long dominated the contracting process at the Corps.

Since then, Greenhouse has developed a reputation among those in both government and industry as being a stickler for the rules. To her critics, she’s a foot-dragging, inflexible bureaucrat. To her supporters, she’s been a staunch defender of the taxpayers’ dime.[/quote]

Guess someone like Greenhouse would really piss off a pork-barrell crew like the GOP. No wonder they were swift to get her demoted.

Well I guess this is getting to be a formula. MFGR makes wild allegations without facts and then fails to provide evidence. Have we determined yet that this woman was in fact being punished for her comments on Halliburton? or whatever company was involved? No. I think not. We have her side of the story and allegations. Okay. When you prove them, let me know, otherwise sign me

Bored with MFGR smears.

How about a bunch of us get together and start randomly posting every little case that comes up proved or not against the Democrats. Then we too can partake of the MFGR fun. How about it? Along with a MFGRism contest. Every time you post such an allegation, words and phrases such as

typical Democrat incompetence and cronyism
smear machine out to challenge honest law-abiding Republicans
Cover up by high Democrat officials to ensure that I cannot prove the case and therefore can be used as an excuse to cover up my rambling allegations all while I hysterically pound the gavel about loss of such rights under the Patriot Act which should not be protected unless inconvenient for me and my sweeping statements.

That observation was good for some much needed comic relief at the end of a hectic work day.

Thanks, Fred. :slight_smile:

I agree with you that this issue has broad implications. However, I’m trying to focus on the retaliation part because it seems the most relevant.[/quote] MFGR, I think TainanCowboy was refering to the length of the link you posted. I went in and shortened it for you.

[color=green]Folks, please use the [url=something]Your name here[/url] function to trim long urls. Thank you.[/color]

Tainan Cowboy, thanks for drawing attention to it.

OK. I thought TC was suggesting the breadth of the issue was at stake.

I hadn’t thought necessarily that Bunny Greenhouse was being attacked for being black – it seems more likely retaliation aimed at a person who raised questions about the Halliburton/KBR contracts.

Interesting that her attention to detail wouldn’t have actually delayed anything involved with emergency preparations for war. She merely questioned the wisdom of giving Halliburton’s KBR a huge no-bid contract extending over so many years. In other words, emergency contracts are for short-term needs but not intended for the long term.

Smart woman. Meanwhile given the huge deficits run up by the Bush administration it’s more and more clear that these are the sorts of “leaders” who would handle a 30-year mortgage financing for a house at MasterCard rates… :unamused:

So what’s the scoop on this pinko lefty? Delinquent taxes? Divorce? Drug abuse? Someone’s not doing their job. Dig up some dirt. Now.

Who needs dirt? With a name like Bunny Greenhouse, it’s hard to imagine anyone would take her seriously anyway. And her full name’s not much better: Bunnatine H. Greenhouse. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What kind of a name is that anyway?

In fact, I suspect I’m not the only one who initially thought this thread was about the raising of rabbits and some cruel Bush administration policy to kill the little bunnies.

I have an Aunt Bunny. I don’t know what her real name is though.

Oops, sorry Richard. No offense meant towards your Aunt Bunny. I’m sure she’s very fuzzy and lovable.

She lives on a farm.

AP article is here: Army Whistleblower Draws Fire

[quote]WASHINGTON – In the world as Bunnatine Greenhouse sees it, people do the right thing. They stand up for the greater good and they speak up when things go wrong. She believes God has a purpose for each life and she prays every day for that purpose to be made evident. These days she is praying her heart out, because she is in a great deal of trouble.

Bunnatine “Bunny” Greenhouse is the Principal Assistant Responsible for Contracting (“PARC” in the alphabet soup of military acronyms) in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Lest the title fool, she is responsible for awarding billions upon billions in taxpayers’ money to private companies hired to resurrect war-torn Iraq and to feed, clothe, shelter and do the laundry of American troops stationed there.

She has rained a mighty storm upon herself for standing up, before members of Congress and live on C-SPAN to proclaim things are just not right in this staggeringly profitable business.[/quote]