Retirement at 50? Maybe in Taiwan

Nothing will be how we want it. Homes/apartments in Taiwan are not configured for a Western open-concept style. Kitchens are tiny there and often tucked away from everything. Any existing home we get will need extensive renovations. Basically gutting the inside and starting over. Or, we find a plot of land in the mountains and build a steel structure house (my preference).

The point is, this is going to be our final home and it better be configured exactly how we want it.

I have lived in 7 different places in Taiwan. Only one of them was so old school that it required renovation. And that was pretty much an abandoned mountain house that had sat empty for years.

However, my wife and I are low maintenance when it comes to where we live - we really don’t care that much as long as it is somewhat modern. It sounds like you have much more refined tastes and higher expectations. Good luck.

For #2 the law doesn’t allow landlords to terminate the lease early if they wanted to sell (or even if they or the new owners wanted to move in themselves). But then it’s rare to see a residential lease extending beyond a year and they could always kick you out within a year by choosing not to renew.

For #3, I have experience and there’s no legal protection against age discrimination. I was trying to find a temporary lease for an elderly relative during building renovations. Agent said no landlord would be willing to rent to someone so old and we ended up getting a serviced apartment instead.

1 Like

That is definitely something to keep in mind. I suppose that being in your 60s is different than being in your 70s or 80s for sure.

Is there some part of Taipei/Taiwan that has new construction where I can find bigger kitchens?

So you mean age discrimination in housing is legal (not banned), not just that there is no enforcement when people discriminate?

Actually the rental market age discrimination starts around 50. Since home ownership is pretty much a religion in Taiwan, someone who does not own their own home by that age is considered unreliable… However, landlords who are willing to rent to foreigners are usually more educated and open minded, so you might be spared of this nonsense.

In Taiwan, if someone died of unnatural cause in a property, the property is considered a 凶宅 (i.e. the house will bring bad luck, if not haunted). The seller must disclose it as the property value depreciates by 40% or more.

This could actually be a way to buy a place in Taiwan at a decent price … You are giving me ideas.

Where do I go about finding out this information?

3 Likes

There are many online resources where you can input an address and see if it’s such property. I’m not sure if there are realters who specialize in this domain. Google sent me here J2H凶宅網 but the site seems very outdated, as it still refers to New Taipei City by its old name.

We’ve looked at hundreds, if not thousands, of listings online and it’s very, very rare to have anything but a tiny kitchen. The newer builds are getting more of an open concept layout, but they still neglect the kitchen space. Definitely nothing in Taipei unless you are rich. Saw some nice new builds in Hsinchu county but I would have a hard time buying one if I need to immediately renovate the kitchen.

What is with the infatuation with the open concept kitchen? Is it somehow the end of the world without one? We accept that many of the things that are a must have in Canada, are just not that big a deal living overseas, and just do without.

We cook a lot in Canada, but a really big part of the charm of Taiwan for us is all of the great takeout food, thus decreasing the need to cook. But that is us.

I didn’t say it has to be an open kitchen, but I don’t want a tiny kitchen.

1 Like

I just absolutely love the name of that website!!!

Very interesting. But if you die of old age (e.g. cancer), isn’t that a natural cause? So that should not be a reason for not selling to someone who is over 50.

I believe you meant ‘renting’ not ‘selling’… Yes, but elderlies are prone to accidents.

Personally, we will likely see how our investment portfolio does. If it goes over $500K US by the time we hit 65 (around 20 years or so), we may consider buying a place. We have a pension to cover a lot of our other expenses, so we would likely only want to spend $200K US or so on a place. But ultimately we would rather not. I personally despise the idea of locking my money into a place which is very difficult to access if needed. But if we hit our mid 60s and are very happy with where we are living; maybe.

That’s the least of your problems
Wait until some neighbor in an apartment complex fries some fish and the smell wafts into your apartment through the back area where you hang clothes.
My wife’s nightmare.

1 Like

Mmmmmm… Fish clothes.

I will insist on having a dryer. Based on everything I want, I doubt the electrical service will be enough. :laughing:

I’ve wondered about that. How hard is it to have a house with a decent yard? (Your average suburban house in the U.S.)